Generator

I need to get a generator for our 2 bedroom 2 bath house with pool, A/C etc...
We have 2 inversors with 20 batteries in total but when something happens and they don't work I want back up for the back up!
Does it matter what type of generator I get? Is it worth it to pay more for Yamaha or the brand names?
I KNOW NOTHING about them as I have never needed this stuff before.
I plan on going to Bellon tomorrow and looking at them. Can someone guide me in the right direction? I want to make sure i get one that can do the job i don't want to cheap out on a smaller one.

Thank you O great Dr1ers :)

One did come with the house but it blew up in my face so I sold that B*tch!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Google", "Diesel Generators", get some basic knowledge , then search before you buy anything.
They use a LOT of Fuel, I KNOW!
I have a Detroit Diesel, 20 Kilo Planta.
If you have a really long cord I can power you, me, and several Dominicans stealing power along the way!
Do you even know what size you need???
"PM' Hillbilly, he knows EVERYTHING"!!!!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
absolutely no idea of what size i need, I will google it! Just thought i would get a BIG one since everyone knows size matters!!
You'll need to get one that suits your needs but no bigger than that. Your diesel consumption will depend on the size of the generator, not on the electricity consumption when in use, even if you use one light bulb, when the generator is running it will use its normal diesel consumption

May 8, 2009
Online generator calculators

You can google online generator calculators. They are pretty easy to use. You just enter in all the plug-in items you use at your house and it will tell you the size generator you need.

CC

May 5, 2007
Back when I had great dreams of living on the Island, I ordered a John Deere Powered beast. It ain't cheap but I wanted absolute self sufficiency, dependability and no worries. This critter will set you back a few bucks and I'm not even going to get into shipping, it is in warehouse in Port Everglades so it could ship from there or be trucked to Miami

This would be for someone who wants to be able to run everything for weeks at a time if needed, not necessarily your usual "Stand by" generator

New, never started since leaving factory,
Gillette Brand

John Deere
80 HP

Engine RPM: 1800 RPM BIG Advantage if you want quiet
Low Oil Alert/Shutdown
Voltage 120/240
Frequency: 60 Hertz
Diesel
180 Amps @ 240 Volts (Single Phase)
Decibel Rating @ 7m: 70 db(A)

weighs about 1900 lbs

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
I really want to recommend the generator we bought 2 years ago . We had tried two other brands before and we only had problems (Kubota and some other Japanese name) . They were both pretty small - 5 k and very noisy.
We bought a 17.5 k. generator at Ochoa en Santiago - brand Himoinsa . It is quite silent and we did not need to build a “house” for the generator and it is standing in the yard without disturbing very much - really.. It is more silent than many other generators standing inside a “house”.
It has a build in transfer and it starts automatically when the light goes out.
It am not sure I remember the exact price, but if I am not wrong we paid close to 400.000 pesos included the installation and all the wiring - well, everything. 2 years of warranty.
This brand you get smaller too, however if you have pool and air conditioner and you want everything to work at the same time, you should not buy a too small generator, because you have to run around and shut off one or another. If you have 1 Air conditioner ONLY and the pool running I think it would be enough with an 11 k generator and you don’t have to think .. But they have them even smaller.
Ask for a SUPER SILENT model - it is worth it..
These are diesel generators and we have never had any kind of problems with the generator. The installation guy was very professional and the service has been very good so far. We only had one problem at the beginning, because of the bad quality of fuel you get in this country. The generator turned off, because the filter got obstructed. But the service guy from Ochoa came the same day ( from Santiago to Puerto Plata) and we had to install a separate filter to solve the problem with the bad fuel. Then we never had problems.
We bought a separate tank for 150 gallons fuel - just a big plastic tank..
We have the generator running EVERY day right now for around 10 hours per day and the fuel is not exactly cheap. I guess we pay around 10.000 pesos per month for the fuel right now, but we use 2 air conditioner - also during the day - the pool also and we have a lot of electric stuff in general - well, we could for sure be more careful with our consume… But I LOVE that generator.. Check it out at Ferreteria Ochoa. (I don’t get commission he he heeeeeeeee although it sounds like I do..)

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
Furthermore I just HATE inverters.. You need all these batteries and if one battery gets bad or dies you have to replace them all - or at least put a used battery instead of the one you took out in order not to destroy ALL your batteries.
And for a reason I don’t know, batteries do not last as long in this country .. It might be because of the climate - I have no idea.
What disturbs me most is the fact, that the batteries are very expensive to charge.. If you have 10 hours black out and your inverter is almost dead it takes pretty long to charge them all - and you feel it heavily on your electric bill.
In the end you have to live with 10 hours black out, but your electric bill is never getting smaller.
When we installed the generator and let the generator run for 10 hours the electric bill from Edenorte rushed down to almost nothing ( compared to before)..

Furthermore I just HATE inverters.. You need all these batteries and if one battery gets bad or dies you have to replace them all - or at least put a used battery instead of the one you took out in order not to destroy ALL your batteries.
And for a reason I don?t know, batteries do not last as long in this country .. It might be because of the climate - I have no idea.
What disturbs me most is the fact, that the batteries are very expensive to charge.. If you have 10 hours black out and your inverter is almost dead it takes pretty long to charge them all - and you feel it heavily on your electric bill.
In the end you have to live with 10 hours black out, but your electric bill is never getting smaller.
When we installed the generator and let the generator run for 10 hours the electric bill from Edenorte rushed down to almost nothing ( compared to before)..

If i ever have to deal with an expensive electric bill i might ditch the batteries and inversor and do what you do. I am embarrassed to say what we pay for electricity it is almost nothing....but we do live in the middle of a barrio kind of!

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
It is not quite right what Mauricio is writing, that the fuel consumption depends on the size of the generator and not on the electricity consumption when in use.
Your are right on the fact that the generator has a minimum consumption even if only one light bulb is on.. But you really notice the difference in consumption if you use air conditioners or not.. We use a lot more fuel during the hot summer, than during the winter..

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
"Google", "Diesel Generators", get some basic knowledge , then search before you buy anything.
They use a LOT of Fuel, I KNOW!
I have a Detroit Diesel, 20 Kilo Planta.
If you have a really long cord I can power you, me, and several Dominicans stealing power along the way!
Do you even know what size you need???
"PM' Hillbilly, he knows EVERYTHING"!!!!

Many of the gens I'm seeing on this side are liquid propane/natural gas fueled. Are diesels still the way to go?

caribeman

Dec 26, 2011
Enjoy meeting new people/cultures
The big names - if you get a big Gen set are SDMO, Caterpillar and Cummins. The stores such as Ochoa and Americana sell Himoinsa Japanese brand. I had the Himoinsa for 4 years, used it much....and being very close to the ocean, salt, etc...It crapped out. Regular, weekly/monthly/scheduled maintenance is a MUST.

I just bought a CAT. Parts are higher I knew...but I think the quality is way up there. It came with a great warranty and was cheaper for a big unit than some others. I shopped around.

If you needs smaller - others have said Honda and Yamaha. I think Hondas have a good rep

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Harley,
With 20 batteries you have got about 20 kWhours stored electricty. We have 12 bats and a 5.5 kwatt 220/110 invertor and last 17 hours not cutting down.

I think you have other problems in the "Spagethi " western of your wiring and the adhoc nature of you invertors.
And you are only attacking the symptoms not curing the problem.

With regard to generators, many of the bigger ones are three phase and you can only get to use two phases -so the effective capacity is 2/3 of the rated capacity when only two phases are wired up. The fuel consumption does go up with load but only marginally - ours from light load to full load varies by 20 %

I dont think you have defined what you really want to do and what your problems are.
Many electricians here do not understand what they are doing and if it works then the job is done.

You really need an Electrical engineer to work out what the problems are and what the best solution for you would be!
There are not many of those on the north coast.

Hope this gets to you before you leave.

Olly

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Harley,
this will be a big outlay and you should consider professional advice.

Batteries, gel or regular?

Planta, diesel, gas, propane?
Size of planta, manual or auto turn on/off

Get ready - this overshadow your ATV

I am totally solar -- 36 big gels, 2 inversors, 12 panels.....
I pay zero in electric (hydro to Canucks), just my gasoil bill

let the pros handle it.....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I find it incredible,that someone on DR1 can estimate the size of generator "Harley" needs, from the comfort of their own home!
A Skill like that can make you big money as an "Energy Consultant" with a "Work From Home business!
Harley, the internet is your friend!
The more you can learn BEFORE you buy, can make you a "Happy Camper", AFTER you buy!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have an Apollo Generator 6.5 KW with a diesel engine.

APL-AED6500SR | Deluxe Remote Start Silent Diesel Generator | $1,179.00 | Engine Service Manual: Engine Sevice +$7.95 size is 37.5" X 22.5" X 30" Price $1,186.95 Shipping 307.29
Total cost for Apollo Generator Door to Door $1,494.24 I used Encargopaq from the US.

In over a year of owning it I have less than 50 hours on it, but when needed it is very good to have it. Sure inverter/battery systems are painful to use but much more economical than running a generator of your own.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I'm in process of building a second home here and have been looking at the options. I go with windeguy and his solution. btw, winde how many gph does your generator use?