Where can I find American type Bagels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've found some at La Sirena but Playero and Janets don't have them. Is there anywhere closer than Santiago or POP to me living near Gaspar Hernandez where I can get some?
I find the bread horrific here!!! My only saving grace is Bagels!!! I do go to Santiago often so I can get them there but they were out the last few times.

Anywhere in Sosua, Sabaneta, or Cabarete?? I'm not interested in fresh stuff i want packaged American type bagels! Yes I am weird but that is what i like!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i really suggest la sirena. in santiago el nacional, bravo and la sirena have them too but sometimes you really gotta look. a while ago i have seen bagels in frozen section. my advice is to buy as many packets as you can pack in your freezer. they freeze nicely, just take a packet out and leave in the fridge for a night and they will be good to eat. i have noticed that bread does not go hard and dry here (apart from pan de agua that turns into little cannon balls), it moulds and rots. i keep all bread in the fridge.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
look at frozen goods, packed bread, bakery, tacos and tortillas. the bagel hunt can be like "where is waldo" game...

May 29, 2006
Real bagels require specialty equipment that most bakeries won't have. I did a stint in a bagel shop and you need big sales to make the equipment worth while. The dough is typically frozen on racks(about 500 per rack) then boiled in large vats until they float before baking. The kettle alone is about a $5000 investment or more and then you also need a large oven to keep up with your labor. The oven I worked with did 24 pans of 28 each and I was producing close to 2000 an hour for an 8 hour shift. You really a demand of a couple 1000/day just to break even.

l.jpg

It could be done in a pizza oven, but it's not an easy thing to make in small batches by hand. Soft pretzels are a bit easier and use a very similar technique.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i wanted to make my own bagels but the instructions tell me "too much work, take a nap". i like them from time to time but man, this is heavy food. half bagel last me for all day.

Man?el

Jul 22, 2012
The alegria lounge in hotel alegria specializes in bagels, they are exquisite, the staff is great too.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
la serina, Bravo, and National sells them, have not found any salt yet and the mini bagels are great!!!

Aug 21, 2007
Playero DOES have frozen bagels. In the back freezer, the side facing the front of the store. There are different kinds.

Lindsey

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
I’ve found Toufayan Bagels, available at la Serina, Bravo, and National to be the best quality available by far, short of a bagel shop in New York or Montreal.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Someone answered the question of the OP, above, but seems it got the mushroom treatment. Hotel Alegria in Cabarete, down behind Janet's and next door to Velero. 2 Women run it. Bagels come from a local bakery. All kinds of bagel things on the menu. Post #8

Last edited:

Alegria Cafe Lounge

Nov 16, 2013
Www.facebook.com
Good evening and thank you to everyone who recommended us! We are a Dutch family cafe bar now operating from inside Hotel Alegria. You can find us in Cabarete behind Janets supermarket to the left. We are located in between Hotel Velero and Hotel Sans Souci. We make breakfast and toasted sandwiches, but our speciality is the bagel. Our prices start from 70 pesos to 220 pesos. All breakfasts include tea or coffee and all bagels include a fresh natural juice or soft drink. To check out our menu please visit us on www.facebook.com/AlegriaCafeLoungeCabarete. We hope to see you all soon.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Okay, now I get it...try Lumijor HR, its great bread always fresh!! I've been here 8 Years now, know what ya mean by the bread here until I tried this bread..OFF THE CHAIN! reminds me of wonder bread..114.00 for the big one, about 64.00 for small 189.00 for the super large family of 100 or more....

I've found some at La Sirena but Playero and Janets don't have them. Is there anywhere closer than Santiago or POP to me living near Gaspar Hernandez where I can get some?
I find the bread horrific here!!! My only saving grace is Bagels!!! I do go to Santiago often so I can get them there but they were out the last few times.

Anywhere in Sosua, Sabaneta, or Cabarete?? I'm not interested in fresh stuff i want packaged American type bagels! Yes I am weird but that is what i like!!!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Okay, now I get it...try Lumijor HR, its great bread always fresh!! I've been here 8 Years now, know what ya mean by the bread here until I tried this bread..OFF THE CHAIN! reminds me of wonder bread..114.00 for the big one, about 64.00 for small 189.00 for the super large family of 100 or more....

What does this have to do with The OP's quest for bagels?

Status
Not open for further replies.