Marine Type Air Horn

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Is there someplace I cay buy a marine type air horn on the north coast? I can't order one from Amazon because air canisters can't be sent by airplane.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Ken,
Much as the Team and I dislike helping you we will never the less make an exception this time - they are avaliable at the Maring Chandlery just outside the POP port entrance.

Olly and the Team

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
If you mean these http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HBVQc1Iz9Js then many body shops here have them. I know a few guys with pimped up 4x4s and they seem to get everything done at the body shop, from panels, to electrical stuff to crazy horns. Yes these are the irritating two is with police sirens etc. pathetic I know!
Don't tell me it's for your Toyota? Lol!

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
I thought Ken meant the hand-held, air canister with horn attached, type thing.

I use one on the sail boat, some people carry them here in Nova Scotia when hiking, to scare of the coyotes.

Perhaps they'd make a good ladrone repellant.

wbr

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I thought Ken meant the hand-held, air canister with horn attached, type thing.

I use one on the sail boat, some people carry them here in Nova Scotia when hiking, to scare of the coyotes.

Perhaps they'd make a good ladrone repellant.

wbr

Yes, I want the type used on a boat.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ken,
Much as the Team and I dislike helping you we will never the less make an exception this time - they are avaliable at the Maring Chandlery just outside the POP port entrance.

Olly and the Team

Thanks, Olly,

Does anyone have contact information for this chandlery?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Ken , you didn't mention the use for the horn, but if it were for protection RINGO had suggested using a Bull Horn. Getting one of those avoids the compressed air transport issue. Ringo said in thread:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/137893-home-alarm-system-6.html#post1343714

I mentioned a megaphone above, the Pyle PMP30.

PylePro - PMP30 - Professional Megaphone / Bullhorn with Siren

(I bought two for under U.S. $20. each, google to find what works for you.)

I've been playing with this and..... I DON'T WANT TO BE IN FRONT OF IT WHEN ON FULL VOLUME!

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Ken,
It is near the junction at the Container Entrance to the port. Cant find a street name thought. If you are looking at the container entrance it is on the road to your right about 100 m down towards town on the right hand side. Sorry we dont know the name of the place.

Olly and the Team

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ken , you didn't mention the use for the horn, but if it were for protection RINGO had suggested using a Bull Horn. Getting one of those avoids the compressed air transport issue. Ringo said in thread:

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/137893-home-alarm-system-6.html#post1343714

We are thinking of having one so that the night watchman has a means to let sleeping residents know if there is some emergency, like a fire in one of the buildings. I know from using one on my boat that they are very loud and would wake everyone up before all the air was gone from the can.

The bull horn is a thought, but they run on D batteries and I'd be concerned about having them lost their charge before the horn was needed. But, thanks for the thought. It is another option.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ken:
As the person who introduced that type of horn to the DR some 50 years ago in the Estadio Cibao, I can tell you that I bought mine in a Marine store in New Jersey. Worked with Freon 12 (Yes, I know)..I used to go to the stadium with four or five cans. It did get attention.

Now that i understand your use, I think I can solve the problem.

There are micro horns with 125Dbs of sound that will scare the daylights out of anyone and wake the neighborhood.
Let me get a line on them. They are very small and very loud. The partner of a friend of mine scared off some Haitians with one of these things...

I will get back to you ASAP.

HB

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
To bad not in SD, there is a street full of parts stores just down the road from the Salud Hospital, most of them have some mega horns!!! I could swear one sounded like a LIRR Train horn, now that would be overkill, but loads of fun too ;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Have you looked at "The Storm Whistle" on Amazon? Cheap, yet highly efficient. Amazon.com: the storm whistle

At that price you could get one for every place in your complex plus a couple for the "wachi" cause you KNOW he will bust it at some time.

Cordially,

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks to all who responded.

Just got a message from an owner in the US for Thanksgiving saying he will bring an air horn with when he returns.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Ken, The Team were at the port yesterday and the place is :
Repuestos Maritimos Gomez, Antugua via Ferrea No 134 Tel 809 586 4728 , 809 586 6010. E-mail maritimos_gomez@hotmail.com.

They have Super Blast air horns for RD$550 but i am not sure if they have spare cans !

Olly and the Team