POP Clothing Market

So this week i went to the POP clothing market that is open every tue and wed. I was dragged by the wife and the maid! I will never go there again!
Shady shade of places with huge amounts of people and i was paranoid about being pick pocketed the whole time.
Made the mistake of asking to try something on. Ya walked into a woman ****ing, was yelled at and then taken to a gross dark place which i think i stepped in ****.

Was sweating, and miserable!

I will save my clothes shopping for the SD malls that have A/C!

I guess the good thing was the Wife bought massive amounts of things for cheap.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
where was it in POP and was it really cheap enough to go? I d buy for the kids and poor in the campo if it s cheaper than dragging the stuff over here in suitccases as I have been doing

Yes it is worth going for sure!!! I am not really sure where it is!
I drove along highway 5 (towards Confresi coming from Sosua)till there was some weird cross road with a light that had kind of 2 right turns i could take and then i turned right on the latter of the 2 and drove down till the market was on my right! You can't miss it. Moto's EVERYEHERE!! Our maid told us where to go, i didn't pay attention to street names.

I'm sure someone else who knows POP can tell you the street etc... It was open till 3:30 pm, not sure what time it opens.

I like to try stuff on that is the main reason i didn't like it well and the hundreds of people!

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
where was it in POP and was it really cheap enough to go? I d buy for the kids and poor in the campo if it s cheaper than dragging the stuff over here in suitccases as I have been doing

I don't know where you live but in Santiago we have the flea market (pulgas). Lots of cheap clothes and even cheaper as the day goes on. I can't tell you where it is, but I know how to get there. I'm sure other members can help with location. Its on Thursdays and on other days they have smaller markets elsewhere in the city

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ha ha ha. and ha :) the place is called la pulga and it is indeed very very cheap. this is off jose eugenio kounhardt (what sort of name is that, god help me). you can actually easily google that, just put "puerto plata la pulga map", it's there. i've been there few times, great place for nice clothing. also, a great place to scratch and bump your car.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I ll be in Villa Gonzales..Outside of Santiago. and if it s cheap it may be better to just buy some stuff for the people I know in the campo... right now I m sending barrels, and bringing multiple suitcases of clothes and stuff from here and its not cheap... If you can get me more info on stuff to do like that in Santiago, or in Santo Domingo. I d be very grateful

thanks

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
It's called La Pulga, and most of the workers are Haitians ( they do not own the products). The products are trucked all over the country (Santiago, Nagua, SDG, La Vega, Jarabacoa, etc... The one in Puerto Plata that the OP writes about is on Ave Jose Eugineo Kournhardt, then cross Ave Isabel De Torres heading west 100 yards and you will see it on the right. It is supported 100% by locals, especially tienda owners. Gringos that are not familiar with the local culture (especially the language) will find it very different then shopping in the air conditioned, price tag malls. LOL! I did most of my bulk shopping there for various charities, and had no problem in paying the price I wanted. Everyone should go there especially if you want to buy bulk (charities), however if you are weak with the language you will need to take your maid or pool guy. I should mention, don't be surprised if you see many of the boxes marked UNICEF, WALMART DONATION , RED CROSS, and especially GOODWILL.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i agree about going there with the locals. also, wear some dark clothing because the place is filthy as hell. i do not try things on. usually at the price they ask for it's no loss if it ain't the best fit.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Also, have a lot of smaller notes as this will help when negotiating. Don't expect too many vendors to change up 2,000 peso notes.
One time I found on this large table, 2 Nike Dri Fit golf shorts (perfect size and color, but didn't let the vendor see my excitement) and he wanted 400 pesos each, gave him a 500 peso note and said that's all I have, he winked and said OK!:laugh:

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I hate to rummage...everything just looks like a pile of crap to me if I dont see it on a manequin.

The sosua pulga is as far as i want to rummage......even a sale bin makes me nervous

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It's called La Pulga, and most of the workers are Haitians ( they do not own the products). The products are trucked all over the country (Santiago, Nagua, SDG, La Vega, Jarabacoa, etc... The one in Puerto Plata that the OP writes about is on Ave Jose Eugineo Kournhardt, then cross Ave Isabel De Torres heading west 100 yards and you will see it on the right. It is supported 100% by locals, especially tienda owners. Gringos that are not familiar with the local culture (especially the language) will find it very different then shopping in the air conditioned, price tag malls. LOL! I did most of my bulk shopping there for various charities, and had no problem in paying the price I wanted. Everyone should go there especially if you want to buy bulk (charities), however if you are weak with the language you will need to take your maid or pool guy. I should mention, don't be surprised if you see many of the boxes marked UNICEF, WALMART DONATION , RED CROSS, and especially GOODWILL.

what if you don't have a maid, or a pool guy? do people with such appendages shop in a pulga?

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
what if you don't have a maid, or a pool guy? do people with such appendages shop in a pulga?

If you don't speak the language, and are willing to except what they say the price is, then go solo.:bandit: But be sure to take some Vaseline with you before entering:p

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If you don't speak the language, and are willing to except what they say the price is, then go solo.:bandit: But be sure to take some Vaseline with you before entering:p

I do the pulga very often. great for buying cooking utensils. they see me coming, they get out the vaseline.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I do the pulga very often. great for buying cooking utensils. they see me coming, they get out the vaseline.

Are you saying you like to go to the market on a regular basis because the Vaseline is supplied??????????? Maybe you don't go there for the bargins.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm with you Harley, I can't even imagine going through those piles of clothing. Every Sunday morning they have a pulga on the malecon in Santo Domingo, down on the western end [at Luperon]. Piles and piles of everything, mobs of people. Mr. AE loves walking around and bargaining [he's looking for outside 'stuff', tools, etc.].

I've often thought the same thing about the clothes and shoes that we pack into boxes and drums [right now I have 2 blue drums and 6 boxes ready to go] - I bet it would be cheaper to buy the stuff at la pulga, if I had the time and patience.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Also, have a lot of smaller notes as this will help when negotiating. Don't expect too many vendors to change up 2,000 peso notes.
One time I found on this large table, 2 Nike Dri Fit golf shorts (perfect size and color, but didn't let the vendor see my excitement) and he wanted 400 pesos each, gave him a 500 peso note and said that's all I have, he winked and said OK!:laugh:

You mean he asked 400 pesos each so expecting 200 pesos each for a total of 400 pesos. The vendor got you !!!!!