Cooked my batteries?

Smart

Bronze
Jun 16, 2012
So I've had these new batteries for about 2 months now, my old batteries ran really well and I only needed to top them up every 6 months or so, and so little.
I've just took the caps off these and couldn't see any water (but I can't really see much anyway as they are so high up and I am balancing on buckets on the kitchen bench while clinging onto a cupboard door to only just be able to pop my head over slightly and still fee FA) and so using the force I began to pour until I heard a clug as it sounded like I might have just filled to the top of the plate. Then the second, the same, then the third and I entered the rest of the bottle and still no glug. So I need to go buy more water, but being as they were so far down, or the end one was anyway, am I likely to have fried these. Are they hard to fry, probability? Be okay? Fuk the water buy new batts?

Never had this before so a true schoolboy error!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Two month old batteries should not be having such problems unless there is a problem with your inverter.

Ramjetspeed

Oct 17, 2013
The batteries should be ok, they might not have been topped up when you first got them. Some shops here keep them dry until they are sold for safety.
You should chsck the fluid at least once a month.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
So I've had these new batteries for about 2 months now, my old batteries ran really well and I only needed to top them up every 6 months or so, and so little.
I've just took the caps off these and couldn't see any water (but I can't really see much anyway as they are so high up and I am balancing on buckets on the kitchen bench while clinging onto a cupboard door to only just be able to pop my head over slightly and still fee FA) and so using the force I began to pour until I heard a clug as it sounded like I might have just filled to the top of the plate. Then the second, the same, then the third and I entered the rest of the bottle and still no glug. So I need to go buy more water, but being as they were so far down, or the end one was anyway, am I likely to have fried these. Are they hard to fry, probability? Be okay? Fuk the water buy new batts?

Never had this before so a true schoolboy error!

We had this happen to almost-new batteries too, they've never been 'right' since. They had to be treated with something and refilled [our inverter guy did it]. After reading the riot act to our caretaker, they were checked more often, until all 8 went dry again last month. Grrrrrrrrr....

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
We had this happen to almost-new batteries too, they've never been 'right' since. They had to be treated with something and refilled [our inverter guy did it]. After reading the riot act to our caretaker, they were checked more often, until all 8 went dry again last month. Grrrrrrrrr....

AE,

I have had a lot of luck with a water conservation cap for the batteries. I have had them on my batteries for about two years now and they really do seem to conserve the water as I almost never have to add water.
I bought them direct from the manufacturer and since I had enough vertical space above my batteries, I bought the tallest size.

Here is the manufacturer website:
Water Miser Battery Vent Caps

My brother in law put them in his vacation house (where he doesn't really spend a lot of time on maintenance) and has had the same positive results. Note that they only work on the "bayonet" style of battery caps (see bottom of this page for explantion : Water Miser Caps )

They have really worked out well for us and maybe they could help you as well. Good luck and have a nice Thanksgiving :)

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
this sometimes happens if your nuts are not tight enough- dont ask me why- they also come loose on their own sometimes- again no idea why

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
this sometimes happens if your nuts are not tight enough- dont ask me why- they also come loose on their own sometimes- again no idea why

The nuts become loose due to the batteries heating up and cooling down when charging/discharging. The metal expands and contracts causing the nuts to loosen, check them regularly!