Not a good week for foreigners in DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the american tourist, as far as i can read in the article died of a heart attack.

i have noticed something here, only local media report this...

St. Bernard

Dec 8, 2013
A heart attack in ZC also.
D we really think all deaths of foreigners make the news? I doubt anywhere near all of them do, maybe 50%.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
D we really think all deaths of foreigners make the news? I doubt anywhere near all of them do, maybe 50%.

you see, lots of deaths make national news: accidents, murders, feminicides. i read about those daily. but a murdered foreigner rarely makes it to the front pages of national newspapers. you'd think it would because it is not something that takes place every day.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I'm wondering if you analyze all the murders and deaths in your country of origin every day of the week ???
Then, why do it here ??
$hit happens everywhere....
Have a nice weekend !

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I'm wondering if you analyze all the murders and deaths in your country of origin every day of the week ???
Then, why do it here ??
$hit happens everywhere....
Have a nice weekend !

No, I tend to focus on the politics, economy, crime, social events, etc where I am living. Even more so in my posts on dr1. To focus elsewhere would seem odd, no?

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
It may not be that those places are more dangerous - maybe just a lot more foreigners on the north coast than in other parts of DR. Just a thought.

And there are more foreigners during the winter months than during the summer months, hence it seems like more right now.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
And its december, brugal and hot temperatures make for a good mix.....

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
So, you have a heart attack and die in your room. Then they post a picture of you in your tighty whities....do they have no decency!!
This is what I have to look forward to in my future...I sleep in the nude....

Seriously though. RIP

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
adding to the list...

French citizen stabbed in Puerto Plata
HIEREN Y ATRACAN FRANC?S EN EL SECTOR LOS SALADOS DE LUPERON

US citizen found dead in hotel room in Sosua
ENCUENTRAN EL CUERPO SIN VIDA DE TURISTA NORTEAMERICANO EN LA HABITACI?N DE HOTEL DONDE SE ESTABA HOSPEDADO

Cuban (long time Dominican resident and newscaster) found murdered in caba?a
Polic?a profundiza investigaciones del asesinato de Claudio Nasco; encuentran jeepeta

What is the point of reporting these murders and stabbings? You do not want anyone to visit the country?

In NYC up until December 1, 2013 year to date, there were 307 murders, 1,325 rapes, 18,390 robberies, 18,028 felony assaults, 17,567 burglaries, 38,867 grand larcenies. I assume the crimes committed were against citizens, tourists, Americans, Dominicans, etc. I guess it was a bad year for citizens and tourists. Should we all move to the North Pole to avoid the crime?

What is your point in posting such a negative post in this forum?

What is the point of reporting these murders and stabbings? You do not want anyone to visit the country?

In NYC up until December 1, 2013 year to date, there were 307 murders, 1,325 rapes, 18,390 robberies, 18,028 felony assaults, 17,567 burglaries, 38,867 grand larcenies. I assume the crimes committed were against citizens, tourists, Americans, Dominicans, etc. I guess it was a bad year for citizens and tourists. Should we all move to the North Pole to avoid the crime?

The point is so people know that this is going on! Why would people not report this?! We have the right to know wth is happening in a place we live or frequent! |

This is NOT NYC1!!!!

If my area has a high crime rate I WANT TO KNOW! I think it is criminal for people who try to hide crime in their area!

If you don't like it then don't read the posts with obvious Murder/Crime titles!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

listen, we are mostly foreigners here. i post info about deaths of gringos as well. often people speak that they knew the diseased and express deep felt condolences. this also serve the purpose to discuss possible security measures and the dynamics of life in DR in general.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
The point is so people know that this is going on! Why would people not report this?! We have the right to know wth is happening in a place we live or frequent! |

This is NOT NYC1!!!!

If my area has a high crime rate I WANT TO KNOW! I think it is criminal for people who try to hide crime in their area!

If you don't like it then don't read the posts with obvious Murder/Crime titles!

It is not that I do not like it. Looking at photos of dead bloated bodies does not bother me. I can do it all day long. My point was that many tourists and DR property owners jump on this site to see what is going on there, and it seems like so many posts are negative or dwell on crimes and other problems.

My other point was that even the title of the post was misleading. "Bad week for foreigners in the DR"
How so? One guy got killed, who was a long time resident, hardly considered a foreigner. Another got stabbed and lived, and another guy had a heart attack.

A guy down the road here had a heart attack, so does that mean it was a bad week for Italians in Pennsylvania?

It is not that I do not like it. Looking at photos of dead bloated bodies does not bother me. I can do it all day long. My point was that many tourists and DR property owners jump on this site to see what is going on there, and it seems like so many posts are negative or dwell on crimes and other problems.

My other point was that even the title of the post was misleading. "Bad week for foreigners in the DR"
How so? One guy got killed, who was a long time resident, hardly considered a foreigner. Another got stabbed and lived, and another guy had a heart attack.

A guy down the road here had a heart attack, so does that mean it was a bad week for Italians in Pennsylvania?

I understand what you are saying in the way that had I read Dr1 before I bought my house here I would not have bought it where we did and maybe not at all.
It did freak me out at first with all the negative talk but I know now to take it for what it is.
People like to talk about negative stuff more than positive stuff, what fun is there in that!

I am glad it is posted for me to read but I do feel sometimes it may scare people away like the kid who cancelled his trip to BC. I don't understand why anyone would cancel travel plans to the DR??!!!

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I understand what you are saying in the way that had I read Dr1 before I bought my house here I would not have bought it where we did and maybe not at all.
It did freak me out at first with all the negative talk but I know now to take it for what it is.
People like to talk about negative stuff more than positive stuff, what fun is there in that!

I am glad it is posted for me to read but I do feel sometimes it may scare people away like the kid who cancelled his trip to BC. I don't understand why anyone would cancel travel plans to the DR??!!!

Harley I agree with everything you just wrote.

I guess I am just trying to keep things positive, because I know many people who travel to Jamaica, Mexico, Bahamas, and Puerto Rico, but when I tell them that I own a place in the DR, they look at me like I am a lunatic. For some reason people think the crime rate in the DR is worse and it is the wild frontier, when in fact I would bet the crime rate is less or similar. (of course that depends on if you are talking about SD vs. Costanza)

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Well safety is of course an important issue in DR. So its important to know what s going around, especially when you are a gringo.

Status
Not open for further replies.