most popular cars in DR

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
from today's diario libre:
Carros coreanos dominan el mercado de la Rep?blica Dominicana - DiarioLibre.com

in 2011 a total of 57,663 vehicles were brought to DR, new and used. among them 10,620 were toyota; 6,261 honda; 5,731 ford; 5,667 hyundai; 4,259 nissan; 3,181 chevrolet and 2,128 KIA.

in 2012 there were 10,761 toyota, 6,596 honda, 6,474 hyundai.

the article also mentions that car dealers claim hyundai sonata is in most demand right now. it is originally made to run with gas so it is very economic.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
Hyundai has been in the DR since way back in the early 80's, there was a popular small pickup in the DR from Hyundai, the Pony.

Remember those?

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
If you drive a toyota here and mention you want to sell it, it is just as good as gone. Last week while car shopping for a friend at different dealers almost every single one asked if I was selling.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Hyundai has been in the DR since way back in the early 80's, there was a popular small pickup in the DR from Hyundai, the Pony.

Remember those?

oh yes!. Just like Toyota in the 70s, Hyundai only made low end cars back in the 80s and 90s. From 2006 or 2007 on, they have been getting pretty aggressive with nice designs and improved quality (or so I've heard) . Prices have gone up as a result, though.

I don't quite buy the whole Toyota thing. I own a Toyota SUV and I'm not impressed. Don't get me wrong, it's a good car but maintenance does get expensive if you follow the maintenance protocol to the letter. I've found that if I'm going to pay so much for maintenance, I might as well drive a nicer car. The Toyota is so boring (and expensive) to drive that I almost never do. I love cars and I love to drive, so I guess my opinions do not apply to everyone.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Toyota Suv!! True the inside design is crappy, lots of cheap plastic.
True maintanance is expensive.
True expensive to run.

But nice to drive for a suv and pretty well bombproof....has its utilitie in the dr.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Toyota Suv!! True the inside design is crappy, lots of cheap plastic.
True maintanance is expensive.
True expensive to run.

But nice to drive for a suv and pretty well bombproof....has its utilitie in the dr.

Personally I am a GM man. Probablly always will be but here the resale on any toyota is pretty well guaranteed. Thats why I have one and not a GM and the fact it is deisel, not a lot of GMs are.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have never seen a GM until i moved to DR. pontiac and mercury as well, i did not even know they existed. i am not a huge fan of toyota, i think this brand is ridiculously overpriced here. but i have noticed a lot more hyundai on the road, maybe that's because we have santa fe and i notice the brand more now?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Toyota is definitely overpriced. Everywhere in the world Toyota is a good car at a reasonable price. Here it is a good car at an excessive price.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Same with my Hyundai Tucson. Since I own it the streets are full with 'em... :D

i have never seen a GM until i moved to DR. pontiac and mercury as well, i did not even know they existed. i am not a huge fan of toyota, i think this brand is ridiculously overpriced here. but i have noticed a lot more hyundai on the road, maybe that's because we have santa fe and i notice the brand more now?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
apparently this condition has a name: when you are so preoccupied with something or focused on it you keep on noticing it more. i can testify that whenever my period was late i was practically surrounded by pregnant women and new mothers. they crawled from every nook and paraded in front of me. a bad omen.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
apparently this condition has a name: when you are so preoccupied with something or focused on it you keep on noticing it more. i can testify that whenever my period was late i was practically surrounded by pregnant women and new mothers. they crawled from every nook and paraded in front of me. a bad omen.

[video=youtube_share;kZIw8DcP57A]http://youtu.be/kZIw8DcP57A[/video]

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
So many cars look alike these days, especially the crossovers. Earlier this year in DR, Mr. AE's cousin lent us a Lexus RX350 for a month, and we liked it so much that we bought one when we got back to NJ. Now I see them EVERYWHERE, it's like an epidemic, when before I wouldn't have noticed any of them.

I don't expect to see many Toyota Venzas in DR once ours is there [shipping this week, finally!!!], Mr. AE's brother told us he's only seen one in SD. Guess not a popular model there.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Lately I'm noticing I'm seeing more and more cars and less jeepetas. With the roads being in much better condition in SD it does work out to have 1 big car and a second car being a small vehicle.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
oh yes!. Just like Toyota in the 70s, Hyundai only made low end cars back in the 80s and 90s. From 2006 or 2007 on, they have been getting pretty aggressive with nice designs and improved quality (or so I've heard) . Prices have gone up as a result, though.

I don't quite buy the whole Toyota thing. I own a Toyota SUV and I'm not impressed. Don't get me wrong, it's a good car but maintenance does get expensive if you follow the maintenance protocol to the letter. I've found that if I'm going to pay so much for maintenance, I might as well drive a nicer car. The Toyota is so boring (and expensive) to drive that I almost never do. I love cars and I love to drive, so I guess my opinions do not apply to everyone.

Ditto! I was comparing the New Rav4 with the CRV and the CRV had so much more quality(I bought neither though!)
But Toyota in DR holds its value, parts are easily found and more mechanics know how to fix them....big plus, Toyota cars are a little higher than others so when you pass a dip in the road or a huge speed bump, are less likely to hit underneath....

Rafael Perez

Oct 21, 2007

Remember those?

Oh man, how can i forget these little trucks? nowadays its pretty rare, but i seen them mostly hooked up giving them almost a ricey look.