in praise of Grapefruits

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Now is the season of the sweetest, juiciest grapefruits you will ever eat!

And i know of no one else who eats them!!

Yes, they are marked and blotched and very ugly on the outside but inside....ay ay ay caramba :)

Any other 'grayfroo' lovers out there? (ps also known as toronja here but the bigger pomelo is something different)

May 29, 2006
Read somewhere here that Haiti has some excellent grapefruits, if there are any trees left that haven't been cut down for charcoal...

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
I like em cut up with sugar sprinkled on, my husband juices them and adds it to his tequila.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Now is the season of the sweetest, juiciest grapefruits you will ever eat!

And i know of no one else who eats them!!

Yes, they are marked and blotched and very ugly on the outside but inside....ay ay ay caramba :)

Any other 'grayfroo' lovers out there? (ps also known as toronja here but the bigger pomelo is something different)

Can't do it,

I'm on Simvastatin for my cholesterol,

Grapefruits are a no no....

No Vodka & Grapefruit.....

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
I like em cut up with sugar sprinkled on, my husband juices them and adds it to his tequila.

Sugar really?? I know they can be quite sour but right now (for about am month) they are naturally very sweet.
With tequila sounds good....i wonder how it goes with rum??
Time for an experiment i feel...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I grew up with two big "greyfu" trees in our yard, but never ate them as a kid. Thought they were bitter and never liked them. Fast forward to a few years ago when I started drinking some grapefruit juice and slowly got used to the taste. Now I love it and could eat it any way even without sugar.

R&B: I was on some Cholesterol drugs for a while and was told the same thing. Now I've decided I don't want to be on pills for the rest of my life so I'm not taking them and now I can enjoy grapefruits any time I want. It's supposed to be very good for Cholesterol.

Here's something else I didn't know. From Wikipedia.

"Grapefruit contains large quantities of a simple polyamine called spermidine, which may be related to aging. It is known to be necessary for cell growth and maturation, and as cells age their level of spermidine is known to fall. Scientists have shown that feeding spermidine to worms, fruit flies and yeast significantly prolongs their lifespan. In addition, adding spermidine to the diet of mice decreased molecular markers of aging, and when human immune cells were cultured in a medium containing spermidine, they also lived longer"

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
I grew up with two big "greyfu" trees in our yard, but never ate them as a kid. Thought they were bitter and never liked them. Fast forward to a few years ago when I started drinking some grapefruit juice and slowly got used to the taste. Now I love it and could eat it any way even without sugar.

R&B: I was on some Cholesterol drugs for a while and was told the same thing. Now I've decided I don't want to be on pills for the rest of my life so I'm not taking them and now I can enjoy grapefruits any time I want. It's supposed to be very good for Cholesterol.

Here's something else I didn't know. From Wikipedia.

"Grapefruit contains large quantities of a simple polyamine called spermidine, which may be related to aging. It is known to be necessary for cell growth and maturation, and as cells age their level of spermidine is known to fall. Scientists have shown that feeding spermidine to worms, fruit flies and yeast significantly prolongs their lifespan. In addition, adding spermidine to the diet of mice decreased molecular markers of aging, and when human immune cells were cultured in a medium containing spermidine, they also lived longer"

Good info,

Thanx.....Don't know if I'll stop taking the pills though, as my cholesterol is at a refreshing 208, (200 is normal) from a previous high of 365....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
are you taking lipitor? grapefruits enter into interaction with a bunch of meds, actually.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i tried one and there was no fruit in it hardly- all skin and pith, so i never tried another one here......maybe I will try again

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
i tried one and there was no fruit in it hardly- all skin and pith, so i never tried another one here......maybe I will try again

Are you sure it was a grapefruit and not a pomelo?
Grapefruits are smaller than pomelos and always juicy. They are however only really in season and sweet for a few weeks around xmas/new year

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I really liked the mention of the "outside ugly / inside fantastic" issue. It kinda' brings to mind the fact that fruit grown, harvested, and marketed in places outside the U.S. can be just as good to eat even if it's not as "pretty" as at home. Us Americans have gotten so used to seeing fruits in the market that look like advertisement photos for the fruit growers association, we forget that "it's what's on the INSIDE that really counts."

Two thumbs up for this thread!!!! AND I LOVE GRAPEFRUIT!!!!

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I love grapfruit too. Pick them off the tree nearby!!

And by the way I have a mango tree in conuco that hasnt stopped giving mangoes since september. ( which is the normal season for my trees ).

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
I really liked the mention of the "outside ugly / inside fantastic" issue. It kinda' brings to mind the fact that fruit grown, harvested, and marketed in places outside the U.S. can be just as good to eat even if it's not as "pretty" as at home. Us Americans have gotten so used to seeing fruits in the market that look like advertisement photos for the fruit growers association, we forget that "it's what's on the INSIDE that really counts."

Two thumbs up for this thread!!!! AND I LOVE GRAPEFRUIT!!!!

I dont think that any of the fruit and vegetables for sale here would get anywhere near a supermarket shelf in the UK.
That saddens me.....that people rate looks so highly but have so little opinion about taste

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
isnt pomelo the spanish word for grapefruit- ive had some very thin skinned lemon type things that were a bit like grapefruit , not entirely sure what they were but was assured they were lemons (I could eat them though)

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
i just googled and pomelo is what i had the first time- horrible thing- thick flesh and no fruit to speak of
I did wonder why people were raving about them lol

Last edited: