A sojourn in the First World comes to an end

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good morning people.

With I - 95 closed in several places because of flooding, and local streets and shopping mall parking lots with 10+ inches of water, our sojourn here in Florida comes to an end.

Schools are closed and I think that many businesses are going to be seriously lacking in customers,

All told, I was able to do a few things that I "yearned" for: drink Dr.Pepper (once); eat at Subway (Way too much food for $5; try Wendy's--a satisfying experience; Checkers--excellent for the money; microwave popcorn--few un-popped kernals; Applebees was enjoyable for our anniversary--again, too much food and finally, Little Ceasars' Pizza--quite good IMO.

Shopping, the favorite pasttime of all visitors to South Florida is enjoyable, that is true. Even before Christmas there was parking convenience and good prices.

My son in law and I found Freight Harbor Tools and have gone "ape" ....He said: "Adios Home Depot" as we walked out the first time. Their prices are really incredible and service is fantastic.

Speaking of service, I was able to renew my Drivers' License yesterday in 25 minutes, dealing with a group of state employees that were pleasant, smiling, courteous to a fault, and a system that is smoother than a baby's butt. Hope I can renew it again....in 2022!!! Yeah, right! (My daughter said: "Yes, and you know poppa that they WILL renew it for you!"

All told a fine experience, and at 3:00 a.m. tomorrow we will land, Lord willing, at STI...and on Monday start all over again....

Hope everyone has a great year....

HB & Clan

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We do that about 2 or 3 times a year to various points in the US. Always enjoyable and shows the contrasts between "here and there" while at the same time keeping them fresh so they can be appreciated. Enjoy your new year as well.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
MY DR tool chest is FILLED with "Harbor Freight Tools"!
Have then sent to Boston every time they have a great SALE, like RIGHT NOW, and ship them back here when I'm in Boston!
Even taking into consideration,that once the tools arrive at my home here, half are stolen each year, it's STILL cheaper than buying tools here in the DR!
Welcome"HOME"!
Tom

May 29, 2006
Harbor Freight has some great deals. They often buy inventory overruns and new products and carry all kinds of great one-of-a-kind toys.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
All told, I was able to do a few things that I "yearned" for: drink Dr.Pepper (once); eat at Subway (Way too much food for $5; try Wendy's--a satisfying experience; Checkers--excellent for the money; microwave popcorn--few un-popped kernals; Applebees was enjoyable for our anniversary--again, too much food and finally, Little Ceasars' Pizza--quite good IMO.

Hmmm, could do most of that in SDQ. Subway, Wendys, Applebees. No checkers but I like Johnnie Rockets, fudruckers, and even carls better. Lil caesar's I won't eat, same with pizza hut and dominos. I did have papa johns in vina del mar, Chile and it was decent in a pinch. Never tried papa johns down here but I assume it is equal quality.

Microwave popcorn? yuck. Dr. Pepper I don't like but when I am in texas it is the fave of many of my cohorts.

I bet when you renew DR license it goes just as smooth?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Rafael,....YES, many of those"Fast Food" menu items ARE available here in the DR!!!
AND, you can pay 3 times more for the same items here!
As for your "Opinions", you are intitled to them,..And everyone know WHAT they say about "Opinions"!!!!!!
If "HB" had a great time in his homeland, with his family, and enjoyed what he ate while there, your opinion doesn't make any difference.
We all, ALSO know, that it's very "PC" to SAY that you eat US Fast Food.
Billions & Billions of people, in all cultures, all over the globe, as I DO, feel differently.
I just refuse to pay $3.00 here for a burger that costs $1.00 there!
The only US Fast Food that I buy here is "Pizza Hut" pizzas.
On Tuesdays & Thursdays ONLY!
"Two large pepperoni's for the price of one", which comes out about the same as you would pay in "Gringolandia"!
AND, the workers in the USA don't pick their nose while rolling the dough!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Please don't get me going again. I almost went bankrupt with visits to Harbor Freight in 2010.

May 29, 2006
I saw some program on doing a DIY home renovation in the DR. Good Lord, US quality power tools are expensive in the DR!

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Rafael,....YES, many of those"Fast Food" menu items ARE available here in the DR!!!
AND, you can pay 3 times more for the same items here!
As for your "Opinions", you are intitled to them,..And everyone know WHAT they say about "Opinions"!!!!!!
If "HB" had a great time in his homeland, with his family, and enjoyed what he ate while there, your opinion doesn't make any difference.

Dude. . .lighten up. You are even crankier than normal. Where did I say that HB didn't or shouldn't have a great time or enjoy the food in his homeland?

I hardly ever eat in Wendys, subway or applebees in the US, but if I dug them enough to seek them out when I went back to my homeland, I would likely be glad they are also located much closer. I stayed at Hard Rock Resort in PC and after three days I wanted Wendys. Stopped at Wendys in PC and had a spicy chicken sandwich. Was it more expensive than in US? I don't know, probably. Was it less expensive and more convenient than flying to the US? uhm. . . .. yeah. . . .

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Raffy---- you're cranking up the crank....... cease - desist.....

he exists as he exists.....living and partly living (Murder in the Cathedral)

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Happy New Year HB!!! Did you get to the Canterbury region to get a dose of COLD?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
MY DR tool chest is FILLED with "Harbor Freight Tools"!
Have then sent to Boston every time they have a great SALE, like RIGHT NOW, and ship them back here when I'm in Boston!
Even taking into consideration,that once the tools arrive at my home here, half are stolen each year, it's STILL cheaper than buying tools here in the DR!
Welcome"HOME"!
Tom

Have you try Northern tools, next year take a look in theses stores... They are of hight quality but inexpensive like others...

I do some Harbor freights shopping some time if I need tools for a low end jobs.

Most of my tools are Sears Craftsman and very few for extra heavy duty jobs are Snapon...

JJ

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Bachata, you are 100% spot on!!!!
For REAL mechanics, builders, etc., who make their living with "Tools",the "Harbor Freight" tools won't make it for the Long Haul.
"Craftsmen,are great tools!
BUT, "Snap On Tools" are the BEST!
Rosy O'donald", Janet Reno, and Ellen Digenerus, agree! :p:p:p:p:p

But for the occasional "DIY" people, and for those of us with a "Dominican Family" they are a cheap alternative.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

May 29, 2006
Craftsman for hand tools. Milwaukee for power tools. DeWalt used to be good, but they've gotten cheaper to meet Home Depot's price points. Estwing makes the best 20oz rip hammer. Lufkin for tape measures. Paslode makes a great cordless nail gun that uses cartridges..

Husqvarna or Stihl for chainsaws. Depends on who has the better service. I prefer Husqvarna myself.

Last edited: