hotels closing?

D

debbie

Hello Is there any truth to the rumor that hotels/resorts are closing the Punta Cana area? I hope not! Any info will be appreciated Thanks
Debbie in New York

D

debbie

Several people posted messages on the Dom Rep message board (AOL international/Dom Rep) I am so glad it is not true. I am planning to return to Iberostar Punta Cana in Feb 2001. Thanks for your response, Capt. Larry
Debbie

D

debbie

This is one of the messages I read on the DR travel message board:

"we went to iberostar dominica oct, we were supposed to stay at the punta cana which is actually across the lawn but they closed that side down due to slow business.

M

mike

I have read that the Iberostar Punta Cana is currently closed for a while for some renovations. It is supposed to reopen soon.

T

Thomas robert

Some hotels have closed "wings","sections",or call it what you will.Some hotels have "closed" and you will be accomodated at another hotel in the same "chain",down the beach. I doubt that anyone will be left without a room. The DR. and the whole world are in an economic recession. At the "all inclusives, you should not notice much,since you could be "anywhere"ie.no contact outside the hotel,in the world.tommy

L

Loren

Some have closed

I purchased an air-only package from Apple Vacations a few weeks ago flying into Punta Cana. On the plane were a lot of people who were disgruntled because the resort they were staying at closed temporarily due to vacancy. Apple eventually got them fixed and put them in a different, supposedly nicer resort. When we all returned on the same flight, they were happy with their accomodations but yes, they are closing some temporarily.

Anectdote on hotel closings in D.R. The first time I ever went to the D.R. I purchased an air-vacation package from Gogo Tours (American Airlines) and I was booked at the Embajador in Santo Domingo. The hotel was closed for renovations when I arrived! I told the transfer bus driver I wouldnt get off his bus until he found me somewhere to stay (without money out my pocket, because I was prepaid!) He drove all around Santo Domingo, and finally found that Dominican Fiesta was taking Embajador vouchers.