Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default mob robs old warehouse in la romana

Multitud asalta almacén del INVI en La Romana - DiarioLibre.com

this almacen stored materials since 2004, hippo's government, originally meant to be used on one of the government sponsored housing projects. the mob forced the door and carried the materials including sheets of zinc, wood and... toilets.

sadly, no photos of revolutionary running with dusty porcelain toilets in their arms

2. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they figured ten years was the statute of limitations on warehoused people's property and they became pro-active and liberated it.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

those toilets needed to be liberated, yes. viva poPOOlism!

5. Likes Frank the Tank liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

If you go ta go, you got ta go.

LTSteve

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hijack, but in same spirit, a couple of weeks ago here in campo, people organise themselves and took over unused field of a finca. Everyone cordons off a small plot and plants vegetables and so........ Happened a couple of years ago too, police were round, took everyone to fiscaleria ( I think), some were put in jail, but in theend everyone got to keep the land......

I kind of understand, these big landowners own lots of land and some of it was acquired under suspicious circumstances "back in the old days", and so for the pueblo to take some back is not a bad thing.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    Sorry to hijack, but in same spirit, a couple of weeks ago here in campo, people organise themselves and took over unused field of a finca. Everyone cordons off a small plot and plants vegetables and so........ Happened a couple of years ago too, police were round, took everyone to fiscaleria ( I think), some were put in jail, but in theend everyone got to keep the land......

I kind of understand, these big landowners own lots of land and some of it was acquired under suspicious circumstances "back in the old days", and so for the pueblo to take some back is not a bad thing.
    No, it might sound like social justice, but rule of law is more important.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Only if you are the land owner........

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Taking other peoples land is quite normal here.. How can this be a good idea??
    If you own land here you really have to close it up and constantly watch your land. If somebody suddenly “move” into your land it will cost you a fortune to get the people out again. They are able to build a house ( or a shack) in one single night and you are screwed.
    Normally they start with some vegetables, then some chickens, then the pigs and the cows and suddenly there is a house too.. It is a political problem and you have to pay (a lot) to get the people out ..
    I might well feel sorry for people who have nothing , however you cannot just take something that does not belong to you.. And not all land is owned by “suspicious landowners” .. All the borders of the rivers were once taken in this same way. Poor people living along the river, throwing all their garbage into the river and when a flood comes and takes their shack, they claim a new house from the authorities. And it is politics.. Nobody wants to make the decision to move the people, because they loose votes.. And the law.. What law??? Nobody cares about laws here..

11. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The two sides of a coin. I agree. But I have also noticed a few families in my campo who own like 90% of the land,and cable TV serviceand petrol station and colmados and ferraterias........ They travel back and forth from the USa, come over on holiday to switzerland.....And I am sure they have other buissnes in big towns.
    One guy, big landowner, is an acquaintance of mine, nice person, very rich but helps out in the communitie a lot. He has never had any problem like this.
    Another one I know ( I should say the other one ), a real a$$hole and showoff, very condescending. It was his field in question. Hahahahaha.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 21yearsinDR View Post
    Taking other peoples land is quite normal here.. How can this be a good idea??
    If you own land here you really have to close it up and constantly watch your land. If somebody suddenly “move” into your land it will cost you a fortune to get the people out again. They are able to build a house ( or a shack) in one single night and you are screwed.
    Normally they start with some vegetables, then some chickens, then the pigs and the cows and suddenly there is a house too.. It is a political problem and you have to pay (a lot) to get the people out ..
    I might well feel sorry for people who have nothing , however you cannot just take something that does not belong to you.. And not all land is owned by “suspicious landowners” .. All the borders of the rivers were once taken in this same way. Poor people living along the river, throwing all their garbage into the river and when a flood comes and takes their shack, they claim a new house from the authorities. And it is politics.. Nobody wants to make the decision to move the people, because they loose votes.. And the law.. What law??? Nobody cares about laws here..
    Laws are disregarded at times, as they are everywhere, UTOPIA is a dream..not a reality.
    Enjoy the ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast