Mirabals, Trujillo, Alvarez etc.

D

Dee DeMusis

There has been much written about the Mirabal sisters and Trujillo... in print and here on the board. Alvarez/s book is great, but there is another writer who has written brilliant works on the people and the era. I mentioned him on several posts, but had one of his names mixed up. The writer is MIGUEL GARCIA AQUINO [ I thought his name was Aquilar-- close, but "no cigar". He wrote Three Heroines, One Tyrant [ in Spanish and is the historical account of the sisters; there are photos of the things Alvarez describes]and Holocaust in the Caribbean [this latter is about the 1937 massacre of the Haitians].

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Hey Dee: Just watch now how history will be re-written again. Now the turn is for Juan Bosch. Watch out how our politicos will turn him into another Dominican hero and create an aura of sainthood around Don Juan and even make a ficticious tearjerker movie, specially made for thumb-sucking foreigners who believe everything they see in the screens. Have fun with your Mirabal chics.

D

Dee DeMusis

No, TW-- I'm NOT looking for Bosch to become another icon. The only thing is that I wish that the DR literati or the ones who write history [outside of people like Dr. Pons who can do it accurately]can do it in a balanced and objective way and not have any reference to racism or the like.

Don't forget one thing, TW -- you are a GRINGO; LIKE IT OR NOT. Even if you never darken the tarmac on american soil again, you are a Gringo. You might want to take a chill pill. The best question is: WERE YOU LIVING IN THE DR WHEN BOSCH WAS PRESIDENT? Could you be so puffed up or do any better?

E

El Jefecito

I was living in the DR when JB was president. He was ineffective because of his ultra-liberal ideas. The peoples with the money were not about to let him give it away. He tried to do too much too fast and the monied class protected their wealth in the only way that, at the time, they they knew how. Some of his ideas were good, but he tried too hard too fast. He was a much better writer than politician.

D

Dee DeMusis

Jefe-- I agree with you; but at least he tried!!! He shouldn't be bashed for that. I think what happened was that the country lived under Trujillo for so long that they thought his way was "normal." Bosch and his ideas were out of timing. The Dominicans weren't able to handle true freedom. Some still can't. La Policia and EL Exerjito are two examples.

You can be sure that when I am incountry, I keep my mouth shut about la pol?tica; I have read the Human Rights Watch/ CIA human rights report for the year 2000-- not nice at all. It is for me to interact/communicate one on one with la gente. Dominicans heed to take a look at themselves and get on with history-- OR they will be doomed to repeat it. You don't need another Trujillo. Haiti is on its way to having another "Papa DOc" only this time it is Titi.

At least Bosch tried. Que el descansa en paz.