How to tour DR safely to check things out

WannaRetire

Jan 25, 2014
My husband & I have done a lot of searching, and think the DR may be the place for us to retire. We will be visiting there at the end of February. We are staying for 2 weeks (we aren't retired yet, lol!). Part of our trip is to be our vacation, but we also want to check out different areas to see where we may like the best. Our priorities will be:
- access to food stores, health care, etc.
- ocean front - not necessarily beach, but don't want any buildings (present or future) between us & ocean.
- house, NOT a condo
- pool
- not sure if we want gated community - would prefer not, but concerned about leaving property unattended for 2-3 months at a time - we do have summer in Canada, for those who think otherwise ;) & will likely go back to enjoy the summer months with family & friends.
- Are some areas better than others as far as hurricanes etc. go?
- Are some areas safer than others?
- Is there a driver/company we can hire when we visit, that will take us around & help us check things out?
- If we find something we love, how do we know which real estate companies & law firms to trust?
Sorry, lots of questions! And to answer some questions I expect you to ask...No, we do not speak Spanish. Yes, we will learn before we retire there. Yes, this is our first time to the DR. Our primary reasons for thinking it may be right for us are: cost of real estate, not as far as other places for family to visit, government seems stable, seems there are good healthcare options, allows dual citizenship, seems relatively easy to become a resident.
Any thoughts you have would be much appreciated!!
Hailing from Alberta, Canada, btw.

The upkeep for a house on the beach or very close is nonstop and not cheap! EVERYTHINGS RUSTS FAST! I brought a screw driving with me from canada and within 3 weeks it was rusted.

If you will be leaving your house for 3 months a year you will have to have someone trustworthy to stay in it or watch it or it will be cleaned out if not in a gated community. We live in a non gated community and I feel safer than some of the gated communities I go to. Safety is a huge concern here, you can't take it lightly here at all!

It really is a better idea to rent first in an area where u think you may want to live for a good 6 months. Houses do not sell here quickly and you may be stuck in an area you hate.
Living in DR is nothing like coming here for 2 weeks on a vacay. It is not the cheap paradise people think it is.
Have fun on your trip.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The upkeep for a house on the beach or very close is nonstop and not cheap! EVERYTHINGS RUSTS FAST! I brought a screw driving with me from canada and within 3 weeks it was rusted.

If you will be leaving your house for 3 months a year you will have to have someone trustworthy to stay in it or watch it or it will be cleaned out if not in a gated community. We live in a non gated community and I feel safer than some of the gated communities I go to. Safety is a huge concern here, you can't take it lightly here at all!

It really is a better idea to rent first in an area where u think you may want to live for a good 6 months. Houses do not sell here quickly and you may be stuck in an area you hate.
Living in DR is nothing like coming here for 2 weeks on a vacay. It is not the cheap paradise people think it is.
Have fun on your trip.

I think that would be screwdriver Harley, and your made in China screwdriver would rust anywhere if not cared for. Other than that little quibble I agree that your advice is sound.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Welcome. A lot depends on budget as to where you might get an ocean front home.

If you elect to not be in a gated community, you'll need someone to keep an eye on it.

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
My husband & I have done a lot of searching, and think the DR may be the place for us to retire. We will be visiting there at the end of February. We are staying for 2 weeks (we aren't retired yet, lol!). Part of our trip is to be our vacation, but we also want to check out different areas to see where we may like the best. Our priorities will be:
- ocean front - not necessarily beach, but don't want any buildings (present or future) between us & ocean.
- house, NOT a condo
- pool
- not sure if we want gated community - would prefer not, but concerned about leaving property unattended for 2-3 months at a time - we do have summer in Canada, for those who think otherwise ;) & will likely go back to enjoy the summer months with family & friends.
- Is there a driver/company we can hire when we visit, that will take us around & help us check things out?
- If we find something we love, how do we know which real estate companies & law firms to trust?
Sorry, lots of questions! And to answer some questions I expect you to ask...No, we do not speak Spanish. Yes, we will learn before we retire there. Yes, this is our first time to the DR. Our primary reasons for thinking it may be right for us are: cost of real estate, not as far as other places for family to visit, government seems stable, seems there are good healthcare options, allows dual citizenship, seems relatively easy to become a resident.

Hi:

First of all where are you staying when you come on vacation? Is it an all inclusive? Some parts of the country have easier access for travelling than others. The cost of real estate varies considerably. If you want ocean front or ocean view and a house it will not be cheap. This could be anywhere from $250,000 and up. I would not recommend a house if you are planning to be gone for a few months or more. You probably don't want to be in the DR from July through September because of hurricane season and it is very rainy, humid and hot. Cost of living varies. Some things are reasonable, like the cost of local vegetables and fruit and the cost of labor but things, such as, gasoline is over $6 a gallon and electricity is on the high side. Also, the cost of buying a used car is at least 30% or more higher than buying one in North America. SECURITY is your #1 priority in the DR when considering what type of real estate to buy. For some reason many people think having a free standing house is the answer but a condo in a gated community that you can lock the door and walk away for me is a much better bet. You need to adjust your thinking when you retire and think about what your actual needs are. I don't think you want dual citizenship. I believe you want residency. I believe in order to keep your health benefits in Canada you need to be in the country for a minimum of 6 months and 1 day so unless you are planning on giving that up than you might want to re-consider how much time you think you will spend in the DR. Lastly, your best bet is to correspond with a realtor and have he or she drive you around and show you different properties. Vacation in different areas of the DR over a few years and you will get a feel for what is out there. You need to have feet on the ground to really figure out where you want to be. Good luck.

LTSteve

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The Two MOST Important things you must DO!
1,..........Understand that it is VERY Expensive to live here if you want a standard of living you are used to.
2,.. You, MUST rent in the area where you might consider buying for at LEAST 6 months, better, a year, BEFORE you even think about buying!
You will know weather you like it, and you can see what the prices homes are selling for, NOT "Asking" for!!!!
Tell us your budget, we'll tell you where you should visit with homes in that range.
Welcome "DOWN".
"Harleysrock" is also Canadian, and has recently done what you are thinking of doing, and, Most Important, will tell you what you NEED to hear about the experience, and NOT, what you WANT to hear!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I will go with much of what has been said here: Rent, and rent in different places. Don't get tied to one place.
The South Shore has some beautiful placesw and so does the North Shore/ Biggest advantage of North Shore is that hurricanes do not bother it at all. My old beach house was over 60 years old and never a problem. Look at out of the way places, like Buen Hombre or Luperon...there are tons of places really. You might find a new gem.
Above all: Go slow, do NOT try to do everything on the damned Internet--a major mistake--and go slow. I am sure that Cris Colon will tell you to trust Nobody....be ultra cautious and go with your gut.

I have only been here over half a century, so maybe I know a little about this place. I would even advise you to look at cities that are not on a beach and that have access to beaches within an hour or an hour and a half...that expands your options and your economy.

Have fun...and did I say go slow!!

HB

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I agree with all the advice you have been given here, but would emphasise that if you are determined to have a house rather than a condo and you are planning to leave it for longish periods of time, you really MUST be in a well-run gated community.

Lawyers like Guzman Ariza, which advertises on this site, has a good reputation and has offices all over the country are a good bet, even if a little more expensive, as not all lawyers here really have your best interests at heart!

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
- house, NOT a condo
- pool

Hi.,,. maybe you can afford our finest?

ok.. here is the most deluxe community Property Search - Casa De Campo Real Estate

and here are some other "houses" in another area where you may find what you are looking for.. ie unobstructed ocean view and pool.. Atlantique Sud - Categoria - Villas

neither area is situated close to great shopping or health care but there is at least one grocery store and a clinic and ..

If you in the million dollar range.. those are available. (we do not know and we are all pretty cheap and think everyone who comes here is looking for low end which you may not be)... You did say cost of real estate but know that a villa with a sea view and a pool is going to be the priciest combo that you can find.

But.. ok.. here is the problem.. if you are in Las Terrenas, say.. the beaches are public.. and yes, you will have to hire a really good manager, guardian to look over your house.. but, of course, these are available.

The other possibility,, for a bit of a compromise is Juan Dolio.. which is perhaps not so appealing visually now.. and will probablly not give you a VILLA.. but a large condo. http://www.rabbitinternational.com/...public/Juan_Dolio/Agent/Listing_85149495.html

the condo is going to be, in the long run, a great deal easier to maintain and care for.. when you are gone, no worries... just turn the key.. And you have no worries about the pool costs, maintenance, etc.. all of which can be an enormous headache.

Juan Dolio is not a gorgeous as the other places because it was overbuilt all of a sudden and lots of the places are empty.. but the views.. ah the views... plus you are only forty minutes from the Capital and can easily drive in for shopping or medical.

As for a driver.. That is going to cost about $100 a day. Plus the gas. Plus the cost of putting him up and feeding him. Do you have some Spanish?

If you are not in this high end range.. that is ok but you may have to compromise with the unobsrtucted ocean view... I do not live on the North Coast and there may be others that can help you.

Most of the expats on this board probably live on the North Coast.. Puerto Plata, Sosua, Caberete, Cabrera, Las Terrenas.. a few are in Bavaro.. I am one of the odd city folk who lives in Santo Domingo.. others prefer the smaller city of Santiago.

I have been here ten years. The only hurricane was the one that hit the North Coast the year I arrived.. so I do not think that one can predict that, although the North Coasters seem to say it is so.

There is something for everyone. Depends what floats your boat.

I doubt that you will be able to scoop it all out in two weeks.. but you can see a bit of it.

Welcome to the Dominican Republic!

WannaRetire

Jan 25, 2014
Thank you very much for all the great information! We will certainly consider a gated community. It's just that I read elsewhere that is sometimes risky because the guards know when you are away and let people in to clean you out while you are gone. My husband and I value our privacy, so a condo is out. If in the end, we feel that would be the only safe bet in the DR, then I guess we will look elsewhere. I appreciate you taking the time to answer. This will be a big step for us, and I want to go in with my eyes open.

WannaRetire

Jan 25, 2014
Thank you. I guess renting first is the #1 suggestion, so we will need to do that before we decide. I thought the cost of living there was supposed to be fairly low (other than gasoline, cars, mattresses and appliances)?

WannaRetire

Jan 25, 2014
We are in no hurry. We are just in the planning stages of our retirement, which will not happen for at least 4 years, maybe more. We really do want to take our time so we can find out everything we need to know. It is easy to get a dream in your head, and difficult to marry that that to reality :). How do you know who to trust, though? Here, I am protected by law and most people we hire are through reputation (unless we know them already). I just don't know how to tell in the DR which real estate company or lawyer is good.

WannaRetire

Jan 25, 2014
Thank you so much! You have given some fantastic info. I just spoke with an acquaintance yesterday who said they hired a cab for $25 for the day last year when they were there. Personally, though, I would rather pay more and have peace of mind. As for Spanish, I know about 20 words, lol, so hopefully they are patient with me! Of course, if we decide to move there, then we will be taking a lot of Spanish lessons before we go. In fact, before we even buy. I want to be able to read what I am signing.