AMET Cracking Down ON Mopeds

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

The traffic police (AMET) in Sos?a is very active in recent weeks, with the apprehension of moped drivers who drive around without valid papers or without a helmet. Also moped drivers who don't stop at a red light or drive one-way streets the wrong direction are apprehended.

The moped or scooter is confiscated and only after payment of the fine returned. There are even checks on Sunday mornings. This is unique because the AMET has the habit to be active only during office hours and have a large lunch break. The officers are often located near Super Super liquor store more or less hiding just around the corner to surprise traffic offenders. We also saw that the AMET in alleyways doing checks. In the course of the morning, the truck is loaded with mopeds and scooters seized. That is the signal for the officers to return to office with the loot. So do not hesitate, put your helmet on when you use your moped or scooter, the AMET is everywhere and strikes everywhere.

donluis99

Bronze
Jul 12, 2004
My first bike crash was on a moped. Those things are powerful beasts.

Powerful beasts? Mopeds in the USA in most states are restricted to maxiumum engine size of 50 cc and 5 BHP, some states
even restrict to a maxiumum speed of 20 - 25 mph, where is that possible to be a powerful beast?

and again, can not say there are no mopeds here in the DR, BUT I have never ever seen one here yet.

g'luck to see a moped here, be like spoting waldo!

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I guess mopeds in this context means "motores". Probably includes all kinds of motorcycles.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Mopeds=passola, no? Then there are scooters ( not many) and dr motorbikes ( 100cc) and then a few "real" motorbikes.
Here in campo there are quite a few mopeds that u pedal to start.....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I believe that the American type definition of a moped is aa motor and pedals all on the same machine. What here is called a passola we call a scooter.

i think the term passola in a condensation of "para una sola". don't tell Dominicans that, as i have seen 3 youngsters on one.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
If they really want to improve road safety and quality of life, they would concentrate on mopeds (meaning all scooters and small motorcycles) with no lights or mufflers!