boar hunting

J

Jason

I am going to be visiting the DR for my second time this summer. Does anyone know anything about wild boar hunting in the DR? I want to archery hunt for one? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Also anyone going to the DR should go To OUTBACK JEEP SAFARI theyre great!

H

hillbilly

We have a lot of snipes, but Ihaven't heard

anything about boar hunting.

While I can imagine that there are escaped hogs in a few places, I rather doubt that there are wild board out there.

We do have a large population of something that *sounds* like boar, but they only have two legs...
HB

T

Thomas robert

Re: We have a lot of snipes, but Ihaven't heard

This "Board", maybe it should be :"Bored", has lots of "bores!" Look for any "posts" by "AZB", "GOLDA", or "TW", you will be "bored" to death! That is a promise! My "posts",are all amusing,well written, pertinent to the subject at hand,and enjoyed by everyone!!! tommy

A

AmyG

hunting in DR -

There are supposedly wild boars in the Cordillera Central range, but I never saw any signs of them. You can inquire at any park office, as you will be required to obtain a permit anyway - although I do believe that hunting is illegal in DR. I know it is, at least, in the National parks, where YOU can be shot for illegally poaching.

Probably, there are some "canned hunt" places, where you can pay a fee to chase around and kill animals in an enclosed area (what sport.) Fishing may be a better option...

T

Tony C.

During the era of Trujillo they released Boar and White-Tail deer in the mountains for hunters. Locals wiped them out years ago. There is great Duck Hunting during the winter both in the southern part of Samana bay as well as in the Lago Enriquillo area. Dove hunting is big down there as well. They Hunt the smaller Ground Dove not the larger Mourning dove that is Hunted in the US. They are much faster and a smaller target. And they taste great.

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Let me know where you are so I can hunt for you, you pig!! where do you think you are coming? Wild Africa? Better be careful where you do that kind of activity here, you can really get into a lot of trouble with local bandits in the dry forests in the North and South where boars roam. Lots of people dissapearing.

D

Dave S.

Re: We have a lot of snipes, but Ihaven't heard

In between Azua and Barahona...heading "into the hills" is a large area where there are plenty. Its in the area where there are sulphur springs. These boars are quite large and many have quite large "tusks". They are domesticated hogs "gone wild". You have to know some of the locals to get to the spots. Therefore, your chances are very limited as there are no hunting guides as such to take you there.

Sorry not to be able to help more.

M

mkohn

Hillbilly,

Haven't sent anybody on a snipe hunt in years! LOL
Thanks for reminding me of this fun activity.
MK