Whale watching anyone?

A

AmyG

Whale migration high season is February through March, if I have my information correct. Anybody have any good stories/reports to share of their experiences? I know that the North coast is the place to be for likely sightings.

C'mon, all you die-hard Puerta Plata/North coast devotees...share some info, please?

I may be making a pilgrimage to Los Haitises parque, Samana, etc. in early March and definitely want to observe these amazing animals. Was thinking of journeying across the entire North coast Samana to Monte Criste.

M

mike

Just go to Yahoo and type whale watching samana, there is plenty of information. I guess the link was to long and can't be posted

K

KenDP

The best place to watch whales in the Dominican Republic is Samana Bay. The whales will start arriving at end of December/beginning of January, and whale watching season will open about 15 January. By then there should be enough in or near the bay to make it likely whales will be sited on your excursion. The high point of the season is mid-February; that is when there are the most whales congregated in the bay. The season will run until there are too few whales remaining to make it worthwhile to sell excursions. This can be anywhere from med-March to mid-April. Humpbacks are wild animals and follow their own schedule.

The best source of information is the booklet that I publish, Whales of Samana, which is available in English, German, French, and Spanish. It is distributed as part of the whalewatching package by some tour companies, sold by others, and also available for purchase from the gift shop opposite the city pier in Samana (the departure point for most whale watching excursions).