canadian needing return flight

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
hello, so I found this on Canadian gouv site

A valid passport is now required for Canadians intending to visit the Dominican Republic. The passport must be valid until the date of expected departure from the country. Before you leave, ask your transportation company about its requirements related to passport validity, which may be more stringent than the country's entry rules.((( Canadian tourists must also be in possession of a return airline ticket))))

I don't know when I will return..
is anyone living this right now, do you have a return ticket??(Canadian)

I don't want to spend on a return flight if the date to return is not set, and I don't want to pay fee to extend for different date when that date is not known.

can a prouf of money in the bank be ok to prove I can pay my way to get out..

I guess ill be calling the Dominican consulate to get info on that one. ahhhhh. im seeing money go down the drain for no reason :disappoin

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Check prices of a one way ticket and a return sometimes there is no difference. The law says you must have a return ticket and many others say they don't look so who knows.

Do the math which is better.

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
700 there and back 400 one way. cheaper for here and back... but that has a set date. I don't know when I will return so if I get the 700 there and back and I don't come back,, just lost 300$ right there.
im thining do they have a way to see it when they scan my passport if a return flight way purchased...

BrentG905

Jan 26, 2014
I'm Canadian and I've flown to DR seven times and they've never asked to look at my return ticket but you will have to fill out the customs form on the way down there and it asks how long you will be staying. I don't even know if customs really looks at it when you land they always just shuffle me along. If you do stay longer than the tourist card allows you to then I'm assuming they would charge you some type of fee for the extra time you spent there.

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
seriously at sdq you see all the staff on their smart phones on facebook etc.. like can I go home already face on. grab the paper and let you go. the last xray machine before getting out, on my last 2 trips , the guy had his free up on the other chair, cell phone in hand , and made me a sign to just pass along.... I was like..... hummmm ok my luggage was searched in new York.. but don't you want to confirme.... loll what I do like from them compared to montreal airport . is that they take a look if the luggage u are bringing out is really yours. in montreal you can be leaving with someones else.... butttt montreal oftain searches while a return from dr, so If I were a theif I wouldn't want to have someone else suitecase... might be something in there you would reget having

Sosua Sonny

Dec 30, 2013
When I go to the D.R, I stay more than a month with no set return date. I fly using Sunwing Airlines choosing the Elite plus premium package which costs $50 more. This allows me to change my return ticket to whichever date I want to without any extra costs. Hope that helps!

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Very simple, very quick. Air Canada requires a return ticket. On their website Westjet says you require a return ticket, but you don't need to buy one. The agents don't check. At this end, they don't even bother reading the card you filled out, just stamp you PP and you are through. Sunwing also only sells return tickets, but as sonny says if you pay the extra you can change your flight. Sunwing doesn't fly here year round only Westjet does, and none fly SDQ.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Westjet from Canada,- never a problem needing return ticket at check-in time and I have done it multiple times. You will never be asked if you have a return ticket when you get here. Your passport has to be valid for 6 months when you travel,- if you stay long enough for it to expire while you are here you can get a new one at the Canadian Consulate.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Very simple, very quick. Air Canada requires a return ticket. On their website Westjet says you require a return ticket, but you don't need to buy one. The agents don't check. At this end, they don't even bother reading the card you filled out, just stamp you PP and you are through. Sunwing also only sells return tickets, but as sonny says if you pay the extra you can change your flight. Sunwing doesn't fly here year round only Westjet does, and none fly SDQ.

Those rules looks like only apply for Dominicans traveling, every time I go to Canada I have to show my return ticket every time I use one airline to go and diferent one to return to DR.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Those rules looks like only apply for Dominicans traveling, every time I go to Canada I have to show my return ticket every time I use one airline to go and diferent one to return to DR.

Not true Riva. This is about people from another country flying to the DR. DR law requires a return ticket to the home country unless that person is a citizen or legal resident in the DR.

Solution: Buy a full fare fully refundable return ticket and get a refund after you enter the DR.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Not true Riva. This is about people from another country flying to the DR. DR law requires a return ticket to the home country unless that person is a citizen or legal resident in the DR.

Solution: Buy a full fare fully refundable return ticket and get a refund after you enter the DR.

I says because I never heard about some one coming to Dominican being asked for a return ticket, in my case as I said every time I travel to Canada if I book using 2 diferents airlines always they ask me here at the checking for my return ticket, also in Canada I have been asked to show my return ticket 1 or 2 times.

canned oj

Oct 24, 2013
This is first time I've bought a return ticket. Previous years, have never had any one ask on either end. You can also buy an open ended ticket. With west jet.

Apr 13, 2011
Buy a one way ticket to the DR - then buy a one-way refundable ticket returning on a date "a few weeks later".
Print your ticket for the trip to the DR - and print the itinerary of your return ticket to be able to show that you have a return ticket.
Then later you can cancel the return ticket and have your money refunded to you (and then later buy a return ticket for when you actually need it).

I have never been asked for a return ticket when I travel from Vancouver on West Jet but if you are returning to Canada why not just get a return and pay the $50 change the date fee so you don't need to stress about them asking bc some people do get asked.
I have changed the ticket many times it is VERY easy and only $50.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I have never been asked for a return ticket when I travel from Vancouver on West Jet but if you are returning to Canada why not just get a return and pay the $50 change the date fee so you don't need to stress about them asking bc some people do get asked.
I have changed the ticket many times it is VERY easy and only $50.

This recomendations are the best, think more or less when are you planning to come back to Canada and just change the date if need it, so travel with no stress.

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
I am really happy with the west jet prices and cancellation policy on the vip package. will book with them.. will have to go to punta cana and get to santo domingo but id rather that then paying same price and no cancellation option :) thanks guys and girls

agw

Feb 14, 2010
I am really happy with the west jet prices and cancellation policy on the vip package. will book with them.. will have to go to punta cana and get to santo domingo but id rather that then paying same price and no cancellation option :) thanks guys and girls

You can also fly into La Romana. I did a few weeks ago and what a pleasant experience as compared to Punta Cana! The only downside is it is a seasonal route with only one flight per week (via Toronto). But, by flying into La Romana and returning from Punta Cana, I saved a few hundred dollars on the dates I wanted to travel.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
You can also fly into La Romana. I did a few weeks ago and what a pleasant experience as compared to Punta Cana! The only downside is it is a seasonal route with only one flight per week (via Toronto). But, by flying into La Romana and returning from Punta Cana, I saved a few hundred dollars on the dates I wanted to travel.

Yes, westjet has flights to La Romana from November till April, I do the same sometimes depending and my schedule, too bad no one of airlines has flights from Santo Domingo yet, for me that will be perfect.

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013

Yes, westjet has flights to La Romana from November till April, I do the same sometimes depending and my schedule, too bad no one of airlines has flights from Santo Domingo yet, for me that will be perfect.

flybetter for me but I want to go end of may 1st of june so punta cana it will be.
normaly I fly via usa with delta and everything is all good, but this time I want a cancellable flight and west yet is so cheap, with delta the flights are like 1800 ok I would get half back, but that is still way too much 900 one way lol with the date I want looks like west jet would have at 880 and 2 luggage included, amazing