Entry from Canada with criminal record

bonkers

Feb 13, 2014
I am sorry that I can't seem to find an answer to this so I am posting on hopes of some firm info and direction from those in the know.

Will a Canadian wanting to visit for a 2 week holiday who is convicted of a crime such as sexual assault, or drug possession, or other such crimes be denied entry? How does one know for sure?

Thx for your time.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I am sorry that I can't seem to find an answer to this so I am posting on hopes of some firm info and direction from those in the know.

Will a Canadian wanting to visit for a 2 week holiday who is convicted of a crime such as sexual assault, or drug possession, or other such crimes be denied entry? How does one know for sure?

Thx for your time.

Unless you were convicted and added to Canada's National Sex Offender Registry (NSOR) or are presently running away from a warrant there, you can come to the DR and visit. Any other type of entry than that as a tourist can render you banned from entry and deported, depending on the severity of your criminal record or ties to any illegal drugs circle.

Sexual assault, drug possession without any other charge of international links, etc... Will not bar you from entry to the DR as a tourist.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Canada does not share info with the DR so if he has a valid Canadian passport, the DR would not ban him entry. Canada does not have exit controls either so he wouldn't have any trouble on that end either. As Pichardo said, if there's a warrant out for him or the Canadian authorities are looking for him, they would catch him on the way back in.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Canada does not share info with the DR so if he has a valid Canadian passport, the DR would not ban him entry. Canada does not have exit controls either so he wouldn't have any trouble on that end either. As Pichardo said, if there's a warrant out for him or the Canadian authorities are looking for him, they would catch him on the way back in.

I was watching the other day on News that the Dominican Inmigration was implementing a new system that is connected to an international database for criminals and connected to the airlines reservation systems that could also block your reservation if you appears in that database.

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
Unsure about Canadians but I know an American who has just completed a 5 year sentence in Germany for smuggling cocaine from the DR. He was deported back to his home country the USA. The following day he came here to Santiago desoite his passport having a deportation stamp on one page. No one checks in this country.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I don't ever recall having my passport scanned by security upon leaving Canada. The only scanning was done by me at airline checkin. Any security only visually looked at passport. This as recent as last week.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Can the Canadian get a passport?

Highly unlikely that he can.

There are no laws in the U.S. or Canada that bars a ex offender from owning a passport. The entry into another country is determined by the laws of the host nation.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
There is no international database for felons. Interpol shares information on wanted criminals, and certain nations such as the U.S. and Canada share conviction information, but there is not presently, nor is it feasible for there to be a database of individuals convicted of a crime. You would be talking about a number in excess of a hundred million. There's 12 million ex offenders in the US alone. USCIS has trouble keeping up with known terrorists, let alone everyone who has ever been convicted of a crime. It would create as many problems as the "no fly" list does now, especially when a person has an identical or similar name to someone on the list.

No nation has such an extensive list, and the logistics would render the feasibility nearly impossible.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Unsure about Canadians but I know an American who has just completed a 5 year sentence in Germany for smuggling cocaine from the DR. He was deported back to his home country the USA. The following day he came here to Santiago despite his passport having a deportation stamp on one page. No one checks in this country.

I know of several Canadians in the D.R. who have felony convictions. They aren't subject to checks until they return. As for Americans, only if there are warrants or some type of civil action such as a Personal Protection order or some other type of law enforcement hold. Then they are held at the re-entry point, there's no such thing as an exit check except the passport check by the airline.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
If any country wanted to keep a record at an entry or exit point it will be very easy to implement, as long as they have access to the info, that is. Hundreds of millions of records are nothing by todays's database capabilities. People with the same name should not be a problem as most countries use biometric passports.
But I don't think such system would be of any use. A person who was convicted and is now free should not be denied any rights, that's what convictions are for, to pay the price to society.
Of course, someone who is being wanted and running away will be stopped at any entry/exit point in his own country, or by Intepol in the destination country if he or she was reported to Intepol as wanted, rendering the mentioned system not only useless but also not very lawtful or at least fair. Everybody deserves the chance to get back to normal life after they have paid their due.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Come on down they dont check anything. Planeloads of deported criminals fresh out of US jails get dropped off at the SD airport on a regular basis. We welcome criminals from all countries. You will feel right at home. Speak Russian, you go to the head of the line.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If any country wanted to keep a record at an entry or exit point it will be very easy to implement, as long as they have access to the info, that is. Hundreds of millions of records are nothing by todays's database capabilities. People with the same name should not be a problem as most countries use biometric passports.
But I don't think such system would be of any use. A person who was convicted and is now free should not be denied any rights, that's what convictions are for, to pay the price to society.
Of course, someone who is being wanted and running away will be stopped at any entry/exit point in his own country, or by Intepol in the destination country if he or she was reported to Intepol as wanted, rendering the mentioned system not only useless but also not very lawtful or at least fair. Everybody deserves the chance to get back to normal life after they have paid their due.
I agree, except those that have been convicted of crimes against children.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I agree, except those that have been convicted of crimes against children.

There are criminals and then there are sex pests, it does not take a man to molest my daughter for me to demand his equal rights denied. I have a partner who should be able to wander freely without the threat of convicted sex pests running around. No i am not saying hang them all, just that its not right to sh1t in your neighbours garden, deal with your own crap. Sex pests should not be issued passports.