Dual citizenship

BenHur

Jan 15, 2014
I have a Dominican wife born in the DR and now living in the US. We are thinking of getting her US citizenship but want to keep her DR citizenship since we will be retiring in the DR in about 8 years.
I have been getting info on both sides.....yes, just use the US passport when traveling
and no, you have to denounce your citizenship when taking the oath of a US citizen......
Anyone have a DR wife/Husband that has both passports????

JLA1125

Aug 14, 2013
It's up to the country of the person's current citizenship whether they recognize the renunciation in the oath of allegiance. As far as I know, the Dominican Republic allows its citizens to continue to hold Dominican citizenship even after naturalizing in the United States.

BenHur

Jan 15, 2014
Thanks for your help.....after I posted this thread I contacted the Dominican Republic Embassy in Chicago and the you can have Dual Citizenship being a Dominican.
Thanks for your help!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes, my husband was born in Santo Domingo, and has been an American citizen since 1981 - he carries both passports when he travels.

Apr 10, 2006
My husband naturalized in 2012. (to the US)... He kept his Dominican citizenship... you just have to "pledge" to be only loyal....blah blah to the US. He now travels with both passports.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I have dual citizenship and I only have a US passport. I've never needed two passports in all my years of travel. Nor do I see the need.

BenHur

Jan 15, 2014
Thanks for your help.....after I posted this thread I contacted the Dominican Republic Embassy in Chicago and the you can have Dual Citizenship being a Dominican.
Thanks for your help!!

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Do you use the Dominican passport when you travel to the DR?

Once a person becomes a US citizen he or she needs only a US passport to travel. There is no need
whatsoever for a Dominican passport unless the person wants to(for whatever reason). I was born
in the DR and raised in the states and I became a US citizen in 1988 and obtained a US passport.
Since then I've been traveling to and from the DR and other places with my US passport and I ditched the DR passport. Only the US passport is required.

A Dominican passport is not required.

Last edited:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Of you want to retire in the DR yet visit the US and other first world countries its a good idea to have your wife take the US Citizen exam. A green card holder must live in the US the majority of time. US passport allows travel nearly everywhere. Dominicans cannot even visit most first world countries.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Actually there are advantages to having the Dominican passport. For example, there are countries around the world where visas are cheaper for Dominican nationals (for instance China). There are countries around the world where for security reasons it may be to your advantage to travel on your Dominican passport.

If you were to opt for a position in a multilateral organisation, your chances of being chosen are greater as a Dominican than as a US citizen (there will be more US citizens competing for the post). The Dominican passport would serve to prove your nationality, which the mere statement of where you were born on your US passport will not serve as proof you are a Dominican. I am not sure a birth certificate is proof of citizenship.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
I see your point for the reasons you've stated. But unless someone were to travel to places like China, etc and for possible employment, it's really not necessary for traveling to the DR and US.

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
No, there is no charge. I've never had to pay. On the US passport it says born in the DR. When a person goes through immigration they know the person is Dominican(dual citizenship) and is not charged.

I encourage anyone to try it out.:) Why the hassle of two passports? It's just more money.

Last edited:

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Currently I have Two; American and Dominican but I'm entitle to use the American one only.

It would be suspicious if I travel out of the US and then I try to use my Dominican one... Looks like a 007 movie to me.

JJ

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Dominicans can have dual citizenship, I have cousins living in USA that are now USA citizens and they keep the Dominican citizenship too, and I have also cousins wasborn in the USA an as their parents are Dominicans so they are allowed to have also Dominican Citizenship.