Money exchange

ivannah

Mar 18, 2007
Will be bringing US and Cdn funds: Should I exchange these funds for Dominican pesos? If so where is the best exchange or should i withdraw from ATM's and or airport?

Don't exchange at the airport, major rip off!!!!
How long are you coming for? You can use just US in most tourist places. What area will you be visiting?
You can't use Canadian here but can change it to pesos or whatever.

I just used my ATM card or CC when traveling but many people will tell you not to or be careful bc there are many scammers out there and fraudulent charges. Make sure if you do use your ATM to go into the bank to use the ATM, not just standing alone one type things. They are a little safer....

toriemannetje

Aug 30, 2013
if airports are rip offs creditcards are nooo better!

don't change your money in the banks, go to caribe express and you're good!

take enough cash with you and each time you need pesos you just exchange your dollars in caribe express.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
You need to say Where you are going so the cambios or money stores can be better referred to you. If you are staying on an AI you can get by with USD. If you are going out and about you'll want to change CD or USD into Pesos.

kenthedentman

Apr 10, 2012
Western union gives good exchange rate. Hotels will exchange for you but it is a ripoff. I would make sure you have clean bills, not ripped, torn or marked on. Also i would try to avoid having the new $100 bill if you have US money. Good luck and enjoy your stay.

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
Most places will give you a better exchange for US than Canadian. The Canadians I know change their money to US back in Canada.

santiagodude

Nov 25, 2012
Many banks offer good rates. Caribe express also offers good rates but I don't feel safe making large cash transactions with people looking over my shoulder (as is frequently the case there). Atms are a last resort (due to fees)....I only use ones inside of a mall, that cannot eat my card, attached to a bank branch.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Agreed - the Cdn dollar never seems to get the true market rate on the street.

If you have Cdn $$ to change, I would go to ScotiaBank.... they will have a better rate IMO

US is better - more desirable here

Allan Fagan

Feb 20, 2014
Hi, we are travelling over from Scotland in May. Have stayed in PP a few times and got by with USD but would I be better with Pesos if we decide to venture out of our AI?