Cell Phone in DR Question

J

Joe Boone

No jokes this time, I really love hookers and politicians. Especially politicians.

I've had a couple of phones activated in the DR, one on Codetel and one on Tricom. But, they were both strictly analog phones and all worked well. My question is, if I bring down a phone that has both Digital and Analog capability, what Digital frequency do I need to look for.

For example, the Startac 7868W is For use on
CDMA 800/1900 and analog 800MHz networks. and

StarTAC? ST7867W phone for Sprint PCS is For use on
CDMA 1900 and analog 800 MHz networks.

I've heard that Codetel and maybe another Company has Digital
service. How about this question, if I have a phone that will
not work on Codetel's digital signal, can I still have it activated and use it on their analog signal only?

Sorry for being so ignorant of telephany but there are probably
some of you that know less than I do about something.

P

Pib

I do!

>>Sorry for being so ignorant of telephany but there are probably some of you that know less than I do about something. <<

Now you made me laugh for good. I thought I was the only person that didn't know anything about cel phones. But I know that all companies provide digital service, furthermore, Codetel has encouraged all their customers to get digital phones. I don't think that there are many analog phones around.

H

hillbilly

analog vs. digital

Codetel, Centennial, and Tricom are all offering digital service in certain areas. Orange, the French company also has some attractive offers.
You can bring your phone and activate it here, no fear.

The thing is that the digital service is not fully operative nationwide, and there are real "spaces" in the system, areas that don't get the digital signals.

I use an old Qualcom 2700 model that is dual band. When there is no digital, it kicks in the analog. But still, like in Tamboril the cell phone service is almost nil, at the best of times.

HB

L

Lyse

Re: analog vs. digital

I'm using a Qualcom 2700 too (in the D.R.) and it works well where there is service as you said.

A

azb

Re: all about cell phones

Tricom, codetel are both analog and digital service provider. All sprint phones work with them well. Startec st7867 is a good phone to activate with them. I have it and works well. The system is CDMA 1900/800 Digital/analog. All major cities in DR have digital service and rural areas either have analog or no service. But don't worry, its a small country and you will get a cell signal somewhere in a nearby town.
Centennial phone company has the best plan and you get a bigger bang for your money. There is a plan for 354 pesos /month with 130 mins free / month with additional minutes at 2.35 pesos / min.
Centennial only uses CDMA 1900 Mhz digital signal. Again, any sprint phone will work. Startec st7867 dualband will also work.

Now the orange phone company only use the chip "GSM" phones. Your startec will not work with them (no sprint phones). Their rates are high and the signal is only limited to major cities.
Good luck

J

Joe Boone

Question regarding the activation by Codetel, Tricom, etc. of a previously activated Sprint PCS phone. As I understand it, having a phone that is CDMA 1900/800mhz digital/analog is not simply enough, you must have one that Codetel, etc. will activate. I read on the Internet that Sprint uses a "Service Provider Code" that locks up the phone when a different carrier tries to activate it. As long as the ESN is clear, will Codetel and the others in the DR figure out Sprints unlock code (MSL) and activate it for you? Or, do I need to get Sprint to unlock it before I come down there. I was thinking of buying a phone on Ebay. Please line up and tell me how stupid that is. Thanks.

M

Moreno

What are the plans for Codetel , Tricom, and French Company offer? Is it like here in the states, with your set minutes on your plan plus additional minutes.

L

Loren

Sprint

My wife wanted to take her Sprint Samsung SCH3500 to the D.R. I told her it would not work, but she wouldnt listen, and told me I didnt know what I was talking about even though I was a Motorola certified pcs technician (guys, ?sound familiar?). Soooo she took it down there and guess what, nobody could activate it for her.

I don't know who she went to or didnt go to, but I remember checking before she went what systems were there, and her phone was not compatible. Orange is GSM, but I dont know about Centennial. I used to export phones to the DR back in the analog days, but I havent kept track with the systems recently.

A

azb

Joe,
I have always used sprint PCS digital phones in DR. Only Orange phone company won't use it (they use GSM). Now to answer your question: Bring in any sprint phone and a local cell phone will have it reprogramed for you in minutes. They will then issue you the programing code. Now you are all set to have it activated by tricom, codetel or by centenial. Its very simple procedure to unlock the sprint lock and only costs 2-3 hundred pesos.
Cheers

A

azb

Re: Sprint

I have a sprint sch-3500 and also a motorola startec 7867W series phone. They all work with tricom, codetel and centenial phones. The trick is to have them reprogrammed and unlocked by a private cell phone store. Then you would be issues a programing code that would be useful in activating with any of the phone companies listed above.
The phone companies won't reprogram your phones for you to unlock the system.

J

Joe Boone

Re: all about cell phones *PIC*

It seems, the more I read, the more confused I am. I've been told by someone that appears to be quite the authority that if Sprint ever touched that phone, it's useless on other networks. For example, he says that the Startac 7867W can only be used on the Sprint Network, but the ST7868W can be programmed by Codetel. Both are CDMA Dual mode phones. On his web page he states:

"Then there's the third lock used primarily on DIGITAL phones. Most providers put a "Service Provider Code" (SPC) or "Subsidy" lock into their phones so that it never leaves their network and goes to a competitor. Since they often give you a special price for signing a one or two-year contract they "subsidize" the
cost of the phone and are protecting their investment. This SPC locks the phone making it impossible to program without knowing the code. It is also a six-digit number and is generally derived by taking the unique Electronic Serial Number (ESN) and running it through an algorithm to produce the code. The service providers will generally not give you this code (although some will) once the contract has been fulfilled. SPRINT phones all have SPC locks and should not be considered unless you intend to activate it on that network." End of Quote.

Joe Again:
If the ST7867W is a CDMA phone, why couldn't one of the DR Cell Phone teckies figure out the six-digit SPC lock and unlock it the same as the ST7868? I have found some excellent prices on Ebay but am not sure what can be activated and what can't. I've always had good luck buying on Ebay because I buy only from those with positive feedback and that accept PayPal that will refund my money if I'm not happy. But, the problem is that most people selling a cell phone know nothing about it other than it worked the last time they used it and that there are no outstanding payments due on the phone. Take a look at this Mans Info page, he seems quite knowledgable about the Motorolas and tells me that the ST7867 can ONLY be used on SPRINT networks.

A

azb

Re: just listen to me!

Ok, I will make is all too simple for you.
I have a startec 7867W connected with codetel and previously connected with tricom and I know for fact that it can be connected with centennial as well. I bought it new with a code that was reassigned by the Dominican store (not sprint code). The phone still says sprint PCS digital on the display screen but it is connected with codetel.
Don't listen to anyone and just do what I tell you.
All PCS digital sprint phones work with codetel or tricom. If they are locked then its no problem. There are many people here who can unlock the phone with legitimate or pirate programs. The phone, then, will be assigned a new 6 digit code and you are back into business.
The thing is that tricom or codetel will not reprogram or unlock the sprint code for you. You must go to a corner store cell phone shop to have it done by their tech.
I know for fact that people have activated stolen or found phones from NYC or even inside DR. They simply have the phone reprogrammed and get a new code (300 pesos job).
End of the story.

P.S. I have just gotten a samsung sch-300 dual band phone from my sister in atlanta. It has sprint printed on it. I will have it re-programmed and get a 6 digit code to have it activated with a local phone company. I know that phone model works well in DR because my good friend has it connected with codetel.

A

azb

Cell plans are expensive here as opposed to in USA. There are many plans available by various providers but let me tell you about the best one.
Centennial has the best plan. 354 pesos / month with 130 mins free. Additional tme: $RD 2.35 / min with $RD 2.99 / min to call usa 24 hrs a day. This is the best plan you would ever get in DR for domestic and for USA calling. Unfortunately, i am stuck with codetel and pay alot more. Reason being, i have my cel number listed on my business card and I depend too much on this easy to remember number. IF i change now then I would lose alot of business.
So be smart and stay with Centennial from the very begining.