Dominicans again top Major League players

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Dominicans again top Major League players born outside US: AP

New York.- For the 10th straight year Dominican Republic tops the list of major league players born outside the U.S., though the 82 players who began the 2014 season in the major leagues are seven fewer than last year, AP reports.

The 99 Dominican players to start the 2007 season was the most ever.

Venezuela has the second-most players with 59, followed by Cuba with 19, four more than last year, and its highest figure since 2005.

Puerto Rico has 11, two less than in 2013; Canada with 10; Mexico and Japan nine each; five from Cura?ao; Colombia and Panama four; Nicaragua three and Australia and South Korea two each.

Congrats!

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/sp...n-top-Major-League-players-born-outside-US-AP

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Dominicans again top Major League players born outside US: AP

New York.- For the 10th straight year Dominican Republic tops the list of major league players born outside the U.S., though the 82 players who began the 2014 season in the major leagues are seven fewer than last year, AP reports.

The 99 Dominican players to start the 2007 season was the most ever.

Venezuela has the second-most players with 59, followed by Cuba with 19, four more than last year, and its highest figure since 2005.

Puerto Rico has 11, two less than in 2013; Canada with 10; Mexico and Japan nine each; five from Cura?ao; Colombia and Panama four; Nicaragua three and Australia and South Korea two each.

Congrats!

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/sp...n-top-Major-League-players-born-outside-US-AP

Dominicans have a natural talent for playing the game. i watch some guys play at a ball field near my home, and their abilities amaze me, even though they are rank amateurs, and very young. the late cricketer, Sir Donald Bradman, once remarked that West Indians had very flexible wrists, which helped to make them exceptional batsmen ( batters to you baseball types). Dominicans have some special gift, maybe hand-eye co-ordination, or some such thing.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
When they are young kids in the "Barrios" they play "Baseball", with a broom handle for a "Bat", and the blue bottle top off a 5 gallon water jug for a "Ball"!!!!!!
Ya Wanna talk "Curve ball"??????
Makes a 95 mile an hour fastball look like "Child's Play", which to them I guess it IS!!!!
"Gorgon" be careful, next you will tell me that "Blacks" have natural "Rythum"!
And that "White Men Can't Jump"!!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Its fair to say Venezuela has 158 because IMO Miguel Cabrera is the equivalent of a 100 players the guy is a MONSTER!!!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
When they are young kids in the "Barrios" they play "Baseball", with a broom handle for a "Bat", and the blue bottle top off a 5 gallon water jug for a "Ball"!!!!!!
Ya Wanna talk "Curve ball"??????
Makes a 95 mile an hour fastball look like "Child's Play", which to them I guess it IS!!!!
"Gorgon" be careful, next you will tell me that "Blacks" have natural "Rythum"!
And that "White Men Can't Jump"!!!!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

actually, i would rather tell you "Black people can't swim".

how's that?

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
"Puerto Rico has 11" Puerto Rico is part of the USA and Puerto Ricans are US citizens.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
and how much are these guys putting back into their home country???
:mad::mad:

SFA in most cases

Well I think Sammy Sosa bought a Disco for his sister in his hometown,

And I know Pedro M has down some really good things for his area....

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Dominicans have a natural talent for playing the game. i watch some guys play at a ball field near my home, and their abilities amaze me, even though they are rank amateurs, and very young. the late cricketer, Sir Donald Bradman, once remarked that West Indians had very flexible wrists, which helped to make them exceptional batsmen ( batters to you baseball types). Dominicans have some special gift, maybe hand-eye co-ordination, or some such thing.

Moderator Note: This is the Dominicans Abroad Forum, about Dominican baseball players, your post has been delete because it is OFF TOPIC.

Last edited by a moderator:

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Look at the list of countries. Mexico, Panama, Colombia are all SOCCER!!! countries. Curacao is just starting to get into baseball. Cuba well you know the deal there. Japan has their own league, Canada is a HOCKEY country.

You think they are exceptional batsmen???? I think you are getting Dominicans confused with Japanese ball players. They are really good at putting the bat on the ball. Dominicans are POWER hitters and this is the reason they strike out SO MUCH in the clutch.

No West Indians LOL!!!! is going to get the best of an American pitcher on a regular basis. Puig for the Dodgers lit it up during the regular season but when it was crunch time in the post season he CHOKED!!! like a lot of hitters do from the Carribean.

I go back to 2003 Wrigley Field in Chicago and all they needed was Moises Alou to catch a fly ball in the stands that Ken Griffey Jr could have made in his sleep, but Alou could not make the play and blamed a fan "Bartman".

THANKS ALOU!!! for having a good eye LOL!!! LOSER CUBS.

Go WHITE SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah! Dominican players are really bad at putting the ball in play and hitting for high averages, or hitting in the clutch!

Just ask:

Jose Reyes
Albert Pujols
Manny Ramirez
Vladimir Guerrero (lifetime batting avg of .318)
Julio Franco
Mateo Alou
Manny Mota
Cesar Cedeno

Big Papi may have a thing or two to say regarding being really bad in the clutch....

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
Oh yeah! Dominican players are really bad at putting the ball in play and hitting for high averages, or hitting in the clutch!

Just ask:

Jose Reyes
Albert Pujols
Manny Ramirez
Julio Franco
Mateo Alou
Manny Mota
Cesar Cedeno

Big Papi may have a thing or two to say regarding being really bad in the clutch....

I'd like to add,

George Bell
Tony Fernandez.

All Doms remember the old Toronto Blue Jays.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
Moderator Note: This is the Dominicans Abroad Forum, about Dominican baseball players, your post has been delete because it is OFF TOPIC.

Last edited by a moderator:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
5 from Curacao?

That seems incredible!

Wanna know why Dominicans make such excellent infielders? They grow up fielding grounders off gravel! There isn't an odd bounce they've never seen!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I am not saying Dominicans hurt the game, but when African Americans left the game all of the PERSONALITY of baseball players left with it. Most MLB players are BORING and this is why the NFL and NBA kills them in ratings.
It's got nothing to do with AA's leaving the game. Many of them were boring, too.

If there was a 10-15 second "pitch clock", the game wouldn't be so boring: pitch or get called with a ball. Batter gets like 2 chances to step out of the box bet at-bat for a "time out"...then it's a strike penalty. That psyche pitcher/batter game is like a Four-Corner offense in basketball, and turns me off.

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011

The thread is about Dominicans playing in the USA!!!! not in DR and it is a very good reason why so many Dominicans play in the USA.

Dominicans have a lot of players in the MLB OKAY!!! what is the reason behind it??? Why is the NBA and NFL not filled with Dominicans??? because anybody who knows and understand Dominicans and DR they LOVE basketball just as much, but there are not 90 something players in the NBA.

ESPN did a story on this very subject and they EXPLAINED why the MLB have so many players mainly Dominicans playing in MLB. Dominicans play basketball just as much ,so why is baseball so different.

Anybody who knows anything about MLB know for a fact there are more Dominicans then any other group. This is not news everyone knows this.

BTW My post explained the WHY!!! the OP just stated the what. I may not be an expert on a lot of things but sports in the USA I am beyond an expert.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

Just ask:

Jose Reyes
Albert Pujols
Manny Ramirez
Julio Franco
Mateo Alou
Manny Mota
Cesar Cedeno

where was that guy Rico Carty from?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The thread is about Dominicans playing in the USA!!!! not in DR and it is a very good reason why so many Dominicans play in the USA.

Dominicans have a lot of players in the MLB OKAY!!! what is the reason behind it??? Why is the NBA and NFL not filled with Dominicans??? because anybody who knows and understand Dominicans and DR they LOVE basketball just as much, but there are not 90 something players in the NBA.

ESPN did a story on this very subject and they EXPLAINED why the MLB have so many players mainly Dominicans playing in MLB. Dominicans play basketball just as much ,so why is baseball so different.

Anybody who knows anything about MLB know for a fact there are more Dominicans then any other group. This is not news everyone knows this.

BTW My post explained the WHY!!! the OP just stated the what. I may not be an expert on a lot of things but sports in the USA I am beyond an expert.

why are there fewer Dominicans in the NBA and NFL than in MLB? could it be something really simple, such as a gift for the game?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
where was that guy Rico Carty from?
My Favorite Atlanta Brave! Loved that guy as a kid.

In fact, it was through Rico Carty I was first introduced to the Dominican Republic as a 14 y.o. kid because the announcers talked about Rico playing in the Dominican Winter Leagues. I Rage World-Book-Encyclopedia'd this mysterious place, the Dominican Republic.

I remembered his 31-game hitting streak...

He did a TV spot for my dad's Chevy car lot in Atlanta.

Fond memories...