Did scurvy wipe out Christopher Columbus? crew?

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Did scurvy wipe out Christopher Columbus? crew? Skeletons suggest New World's first European settlers were killed by disease
This is according to historic documents and analysis of 27 skeletons
Skeletons were buried in La Isabela in what is now the Dominican Republic
20 had ridges carved in the outer lining of bones which suggests scurvy
Researchers believe the disease may have contributed to a wave of deaths in the settlement and the ultimate collapse of the colony

Read more: Did scurvy wipe out Christopher Columbus' crew? Skeletons suggest New World's first European settlers were killed by disease | Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Did scurvy wipe out Christopher Columbus’ crew? Skeletons suggest New World's first European settlers were killed by disease
Researchers believe the disease may have contributed to a wave of deaths in the settlement and the ultimate collapse of the colony

Read more: Did scurvy wipe out Christopher Columbus' crew? Skeletons suggest New World's first European settlers were killed by disease | Mail Online

I vote for advanced stage syphillis.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
probably a combination . The early modern period was not noted for a healthy lifestyle. Alcoholism, poor diets, venereal disease. Most of the utensils and vessels contained high amounts of lead.

May 29, 2006
They didn't know back then that fruit prevented scurvy. Much of the fruit of the DR wasn't on the island yet. Papayas, limes and oranges were still well over 100 years from being on the island. I often wonder what was on the island before Columbus came.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
They didn't know back then that fruit prevented scurvy. Much of the fruit of the DR wasn't on the island yet. Papayas, limes and oranges were still well over 100 years from being on the island. I often wonder what was on the island before Columbus came.

Scurvy has wiped out several threads on Dee Ah Won.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
oranges ,pineapples ,bananas ,coconuts, palmtrees ,as far as I know were not native to the island .

May 12, 2005
I am currently reading an excellent book titled 1493 which talks about how the world changed after Columbus' voyage. The cause of the demise of La Isbela was malaria. And the term used to describe the introduction of non native species across the globe, Colombian Exchange. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys history.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
There is a book called "Why The Cocks Fight" (can't remember the author) it gives a very good account of the history of the DR. In one chapter it explains that the Taino Indians killed a large part of Columbus' crew. It said that several members were left in the DR so they could fill the ships with rum and cane to take back to Spain.
These guys found the Taino women to be quite beautiful and had there way with them. The Taino men took exception and killed them (rightfully so). When Columbus returned he found out what happened and that started a war between Spain and the DR.
We have to remember Columbus was nothing but a sanctioned pirate who raped, pillaged and stole everything that wasn't nailed down and most of the stuff that was.

Aug 6, 2006
Was sugar cane native to Hispaniola? I had the impression that it originated in SE Asia.

Was malaria present in the Caribbean? I do not think it was. I think it was imported from Africa, although it may have originated centuries before elsewhere.

Colombus' crew certainly thought that as Christians, they were superior to the heathen savage Tainos and Caribs. If they were massacred, they probably deserved it. But scurvy is a possibility.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
What was on the island before Columbus came?? I vote for peace and harmony!!!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
oranges ,pineapples ,bananas ,coconuts, palmtrees ,as far as I know were not native to the island .

Mango, soursop, orange, waxapple, ackee, Pomme D'amour, sugar apple, grapefruit, guava and bajan cherries are all native to the Caribbean.

I can't imagine anyone importing "uglifruit" to the D.R., it must be local.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
But they had cueros :bunny: :bunny:

What they did not have were the sexual hangups and perversions brought to the island by those diseased criminals from Europe. They saw the Human body and the physical expression of loving attraction as normal a part of life as the Sun and the rain. I agree with them. They lived life as it was meant to be lived.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Mango, soursop, orange, waxapple, ackee, Pomme D'amour, sugar apple, grapefruit, guava and bajan cherries are all native to the Caribbean.

I can't imagine anyone importing "uglifruit" to the D.R., it must be local.

Sorry you are wrong Mangos Oranges grapefruit (the whole citric family are not Dominican)

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Did scurvy wipe out Christopher Columbus? crew? Skeletons suggest New World's first European settlers were killed by disease

Scurvy probably caused the death of many of the first settlers but by no way did it wipe out the colony. This period is the beginning of the founding of the new World and thousands of settlers descended onto Hispaniola in that period. Archeologists and especially the Daily Mail like to make grand statements to sell themselves or newspapers.