Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DR 16th in Pain and Misery Index

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DR 16th in Pain and Misery Index

A pain and misery Index has been prepared by CATO Institute and Dominican Republic came 16th (lower the number the worse it is ) . Venezuela came NO 1. Poland came 37th and USA 71st !

Here is the link :http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.or...eryindexbg.jpg

Link to the whole article : Measuring Misery around the World | Cato Institute

Olly and the Team

2. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting article.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    A pain and misery Index has been prepared by CATO Institute and Dominican Republic came 16th (lower the number the worse it is ) . Venezuela came NO 1. Poland came 37th and USA 71st !

Here is the link :http://object.cato.org/sites/cato.or...eryindexbg.jpg

Link to the whole article : Measuring Misery around the World | Cato Institute

Olly and the Team...

I dunno who's more powerful, or carries more weight...

Olly and the Team,

Or "THAT'S WHAT THEY SAY"

???

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Cato has an axe to grind here and lacks the objectivity to be trusted.

Ukraine has had a corrupt right wing government followed by a corrupt left wing government followed by an invasion by the Russians and the collapse of the country. Plus it is cold enough to freeze your ass off six months of the year there. The sun may shine 40 days a year. How could it possibly be less miserable than the DR?

6. Likes sosuamatt, greydread, Lucifer liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Onassis,
    Ukraine is 24th versas DR at 16th and the study was done in 2013 so may not have picked up the current situation.

Olly and the Team

8. Likes Criss Colon, kampinge liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier_Onassis View Post

Ukraine has had a corrupt right wing government followed by a corrupt left wing government followed by an invasion by the Russians and the collapse of the country. Plus it is cold enough to freeze your ass off six months of the year there. The sun may shine 40 days a year. How could it possibly be less miserable than the DR?
    because this is an article written by guys with some right wing view of what happiness is.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier_Onassis View Post

Good Vodka, perhaps. The methodology used is the same for all countries. It doesn't measure the happiness of a nation , just what causes misery, not enough money. What ax does CATO have to grind. I think you are the one lacking objectivity when you automatically cast everything done by CATO into your progressive (regressive) mindset.

11. Likes kampinge liked this post
    On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

I am living as retired in the DR so I feel none of the misery elements that were used to make this list. Here I am in a country where what matters to me is the "Sunshine Index" and the DR has a good rank in that list. That does not mean I have no empathy for others here.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    Good Vodka, perhaps. The methodology used is the same for all countries. It doesn't measure the happiness of a nation , just what causes misery, not enough money. What ax does CATO have to grind. I think you are the one lacking objectivity when you automatically cast everything done by CATO into your progressive (regressive) mindset.
    =======================================
    We all bloody KNOW the axe Cato has to grind. Cato hates any aspect of government that does not favor big business. Cato does not give a crap about income or wealth inequality. Cato does not believe in having a Dept of Education. Cato wants to eliminate unions from everywhere. Cato wants the rich to get richer and the poor to pay its "fair share" in taxes. Cato is a cabal of Libertarians that ate only one degree removed from Ayn Rand's ideal, which was of course, enough to p!ss off Ayn Rand. Cato believes money is speech. Cato believes corporations are people.

I automatically cast aside Cato and their crappy ideology because what they purpose is a big money corporate aristocracy where greedheads like Koch, Murdock and perhaps even Soros dictate the limits of the lives of 95% of the population. Cato has the most regressive mindset of all. To be more regressive, they would have to advocate the return of the Czars.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

All off-topic posts have been deleted, get with the program guys and stop the nonsense in the regular forums!

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

15. Likes AnnaC liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast