Suggestion For New Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I suggest we have forum where those who want to get into a slug fest can go at it and where those who want to watch, or maybe even join in, can do so.

We can call the forum the "dueling place", "battle ground", "pi$$ing contest", or whatever. Those who feel inclined can post there, with such posts in other forums, including Off Topic, either moved to that forum or deleted.

Off Topic should be reserved for relatively intelligent debate/discussion about matters unrelated to the Dominican Republic. Those who are presently hijacking threads with attacks or posts offensive to many should be directed to the new forum.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Ken, I respect your opinion but that is the reason the off topic forum was created. What we might need is a little moderating for those that insists on messing up every thread with personal arguments and agendas that disrupt a good thread.

I know the idea was to have no moderation but seems that we might need it. If I wanted to have a discussion on let's say, how to raise pigions ;) I DO NOT want people coming in and talk about religion or politics or how much you hate me because I want to raise some pigions. Does that make sense?

May 5, 2007
Ken, I respect your opinion but that is the reason the off topic forum was created. What we might need is a little moderating for those that insists on messing up every thread with personal arguments and agendas that disrupt a good thread.

I know the idea was to have no moderation but seems that we might need it. If I wanted to have a discussion on let's say, how to raise pigions ;) I DO NOT want people coming in and talk about religion or politics or how much you hate me because I want to raise some pigions. Does that make sense?

Though I am guilty of engaging in some of the infamous long running full or crap “fights,” I would love a forum such as you suggest where strict rules are adhered to for personal insults and deviation from the original point

Lately it is “If so and so posts I must attack and if so and so says anything to my “friend’ I must attack” without having a clue as to subject, simply because a certain person posts it must be attacked

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006

OK keep the "Off topic" forum un-moderated, but create a sub-forum within "Off topic" and call it "The cage" When a thread drifts off to the levels that some have degenerated recently, one poster invites the other poster to the cage where they can continue their mud slinging.

We can go and grab some popcorn and watch the spectacle unfold and the original thread remains roughly on track.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Off topic was without moderation.

That's what folks wanted.

"Be careful of what you ask for..."

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Take your pick. I suggested moderation and that was shot down. For that reason I suggested this alternative.

I don't think it was ever intended that Off Topic discussions be taken over by posters who take "off topic" so literally they hijack the threads in "Off Topic".

To be told this morning by LTSteve if you don't like it, don't read the threads. I thought it was supposed to be the other way around, as per Rule #4 of Robert's rules for Off Topic

"4) The community is the gate keeper. If a poster is not liked, constantly has issues with other members of the community, then that posters access will be removed."

My thought was that the next step might be to move the divisive stuff to another thread so that they can still post on topic stuff.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
The off-topic pretty much describes itself however there should be a "caution" warning. Something like what you see may not be what you get. Meaning you start reading a thread about lets say the bad snow storm in the US (example) and the next thing you know we are talking about religion, pro-life, who should get a life, Dominican bashers, etc....That to me is the only negative about the off-topic. Or those who start a thread knowing exactly where that thread/posts will wind up heading to.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Off topic was without moderation.

That's what folks wanted.

"Be careful of what you ask for..."

When the equivalent of a number of pages of one thread is devoted to what should be a private exchange between you and gorgon, it is time to think about alternatives.

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
"4) The community is the gate keeper. If a poster is not liked, constantly has issues with other members of the community, then that posters access will be removed."

Yet Cris Colon is still a MOD here, which baffles me...he must have some dirt on Robert.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Yet Cris Colon is still a MOD here, which baffles me...he must have some dirt on Robert.

He was third mod appointed, way before the rest of us. You might not be aware how rough DR1 used to be and we needed him to control the general stuff forum.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
How do you define what is offensive? Every one has a different definition of it.

Frank

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
When the equivalent of a number of pages of one thread is devoted to what should be a private exchange between you and gorgon, it is time to think about alternatives.
Ken, my apologies for upsetting your delicate sensibilities.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ken, my apologies for upsetting your delicate sensibilities.

cobraboy, you are not upsetting my sensibilities, and they are not delicate.

What you are doing is abusing everyone by subjecting them to your petty and antagonistic statements that are better transmitted to your target in a PM.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
cobraboy, you are not upsetting my sensibilities, and they are not delicate.

What you are doing is abusing everyone by subjecting them to your petty and antagonistic statements that are better transmitted to your target in a PM.
My suggestion, Ken: if what I post is such an offensive Time Vampire, put me on "ignore" and don't read anything I post. Ever. Even this post.

Done.

See how easy peasy that was?

You're welcome.

FWIW, Ken, it's equally unfortunate I have to suffer through other's posts that I wish they'd take to PM's...

Note to vB developers: How about a Mod that would keep posts from appearing to those the poster doesn't want to read them?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I think, once again we are losing sight of the topic here and heading towards personal stuff.

What Ken is suggesting is that maybe we should have a bully forum and if I want to discuss, how to raise pigeons those bullies will not be allowed to come in with the usual agendas. The mod can remove the bully posts and pass them into the bully forum :laugh:

Hey sounds reasonable to me. I might even volunteer for the job:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.