Importing stuff from Amazon US

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
I buy books and DVDs from Amazon US and have them sent to my friends' US addresses for them to ferry down to me when visiting the North Coast. Now I am running out of friends (or they are running out of goodwill) so I would like to have them couriered to Puerto Plata instead.

What service would you recommend? Urgency is not an issue. I can wait a month or two for delivery. Obviously I realise I would have to pick them up from a location in the city once notified.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I have always used Business Mail. The office is in Plaza Turisol and there are always people picking up Amazon packages there when I go in to get my occasional mail. They are pretty good, but not perfect. Several letters have gone astray in the thirteen years I have used their services.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
If you are having them sent by Amazon, then priority mail probably not an option. There are several courier services, I use EPS. With all of them you get a Miami address and Amazon sends them there. I've been using EPS for more than 20 with no problems.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
If you are having them sent by Amazon, then priority mail probably not an option. There are several courier services, I use EPS. With all of them you get a Miami address and Amazon sends them there. I've been using EPS for more than 20 with no problems.
Thanks, Ken. Do they have an office in Puerto Plata city?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks, Ken. Do they have an office in Puerto Plata city?

Yes, somebody will be able to tell you. I am in Sosua, but certain there is an office in POP. With all these couriers, you pay a fee to join. You are then give an ID#, a PO Box for mail,letters and small stuff up to a pound or so, and a street address for parcels. I use my street address for everything I get from Amazon. The ID# tells the courier service to which office in the DR the parcels are to be delivered. They go Santo Domingo, where EPS takes them through customs, then delivers them to the various offices representing them in the various parts of country. I imagine the other courier services operate in pretty much the same way.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
Yes, somebody will be able to tell you. I am in Sosua, but certain there is an office in POP. With all these couriers, you pay a fee to join. You are then give an ID#, a PO Box for mail,letters and small stuff up to a pound or so, and a street address for parcels. I use my street address for everything I get from Amazon. The ID# tells the courier service to which office in the DR the parcels are to be delivered. They go Santo Domingo, where EPS takes them through customs, then delivers them to the various offices representing them in the various parts of country. I imagine the other courier services operate in pretty much the same way.

My only gripe with EPS is that they can only quote you a price for delivery to STI or SDQ. Delivery to the smaller satellite offices incur an extra charge that they cannot advise ahead of time. That sh!t baffles me!!!

Does Encargopaq have any surprise charges like EPS does or do they actually have calculated pricing?

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
I have had no surprises with EP since i switched from EPS a year ago.
The basic cost for a small package is 167pesos and almost everything i buy seems to fall into this price band.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Regarding books, have you considered buying e-books? I have the kindle app on my smartphone and am constantly reading on it. Costs less, saves paper and takes a question of seconds to get receive.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Books are HEAVY!
With EPS, you will pay $5 US a pound, or Fraction of a pound.
I'm thinking about "EP" as they too are only a few minutes from my house, and I buy a LOT from AMAZON, and other places.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
My issue with EPS has been getting quotes for parcels of various weights to pop/sosua. They charge their base fares plus 2 extra fees (delivery to satellite office being one of them) that can't be accounted for until it is delivered. The main office defers me to the satellite office to get those 2 prices...and of course they're useless.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Left on Red

Mar 10, 2012
You could Amazon it directly to Awilda Shipping in NY, and have it brought to your doorstep here. Rates calculated by size, not weight. Takes about a month, though.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we use EPS, miesposo has been with them for years. our stuff gets delivered to santiago as we share a box with friends. we pick it up there or friends pick it up and bring it over when they come to POP. never had an issue with them, really. they lost one package and reimbursed all the money immediately. once miesposo made a mistake on an order and instead to EPS in miami our package arrived to another postal service office nearby. they sent someone to retrieve it. we were, of course, charged for that but we gout our stuff ok and it was our mistake after all...

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A quickie question if you folks don't mind:

The $200 USD value limit before customs charges kick is...is that a total amount for the entire shipment/package or per item contained in the shipment?

Thx.