Bill, Hillary & the Haiti Debacle (Wall Street Journal)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Bill, Hillary and the Haiti Debacle

Haitians are upset by the reconstruction effort managed by the Clintons.

May 18, 2014 5:36 p.m. ET
The news website Tout Haiti reported last month that two prominent lawyers have petitioned Haiti's Superior Court of Auditors and Administrative Disputes, demanding an audit of Bill Clinton's management of the Interim Haiti Recovery Commission (IHRC). There are powerful interests that won't want to see the petition succeed and it may go nowhere. But the sentiment it expresses is spreading fast. In the immortal words of Charlie Brown, Mr. Clinton has gone from hero to goat.

Four years after a magnitude 7.0 earthquake toppled the capital city of Port-au-Prince and heavily damaged other parts of the country, hundreds of millions of dollars from the State Department's U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), allocated to the IHRC, are gone. Hundreds of millions more to the IHRC from international donors have also been spent. Left behind is a mishmash of low quality, poorly thought-out development experiments and half-finished projects.

Haitians are angry, frustrated and increasingly suspicious of the motives of the IHRC and of its top official, Mr. Clinton. Americans might feel the same way if they knew more about this colossal failure. One former Haitian official puts it this way: "I really cannot understand how you could raise so much money, put a former U.S. president in charge, and get this outcome."

Allow me to hazard a guess: While Mr. Clinton was running things for the IHRC, and the U.S. was leading the reconstruction effort, Hillary Clinton was the U.S. Secretary of State, which means that Mr. Clinton was reporting to his wife. Cheryl Mills, Mrs. Clinton's chief of staff and counselor to the State Department (an adviser and consultant to the secretary), traveled to the country an estimated 30 times in four years. A State Department spokesman told me that "reflected the high priority the United State places on Haiti's recovery and development." Requests for comment from Mr. Clinton, through the Clinton Foundation, about the petition and his IHRC record went unanswered.

The Clinton crowd has a lot of experience in Haiti. After President Clinton used the U.S. military to return Jean Bertrand Aristide to power in 1994, assorted Friends of Bill went into business to milk Haiti's state-owned telephone monopoly. Telecom revenues were one of the few sources of hard currency for the country so the scheme hurt Haitians. (See Americas columns Oct. 27, 2008, and March 12, 2012.)

Haitian filmmaker Raoul Peck sheds light on Mr. Clinton's most recent Haiti adventures in the 2013 documentary "Fatal Assistance." Mr. Peck uses footage from an IHRC meeting in December 2010, when 12 Haitian commissioners confronted co-chairmen Mr. Clinton and Haitian Prime Minister Jean Max Bellerive, complaining that the commissioners had been marginalized.

The full letter they read from that day includes the charge that "the staffing and consultant selection" excluded Haitian board members. "No documentation on hiring criteria or candidate selection was sent to inform board members. The same is true for selected consultants; the Haitian board members don't even know the names of the consultants who work for the IHRC nor their respective tasks."

Obviously the Haitians didn't understand. That was the job of the Clinton machine, which controlled the bankroll and could award the lucrative contracts.

A June 2013 Government Accountability Office report gave a barely passing grade to USAID's Haiti reconstruction effort. It said $170 million was allocated to build a power plant and a port near the Caracol Industrial Park, not far from Cap-Ha?tien. The two projects "are interdependent; each must be completed and remain viable for the other to succeed," the GAO explained. The first phase of the power plant was completed on time and under budget. But the port construction was delayed by two years "due in part to a lack of USAID expertise in port planning in Haiti." Projected costs, according to the report, say the estimated shortfall of $117 million to $189 million is larger than originally estimated. "It is unclear whether the Haitian government will be able to find a private sector company willing to finance the remainder of the project."

The "Fatal Assistance" film features shoddy housing projects plopped down where there is poor infrastructure and few job prospects. The GAO report cites other housing snafus. USAID underestimated funding requirements. Its budget went up by 65%, and the number of houses to be built came down by 80%. "Inappropriate cost comparisons were used"; and Haitians, it turns out, prefer flush toilets.

Foreign aid is notoriously wasteful and often counterproductive. Even when the money is not going directly to Swiss bank accounts it is rarely allocated to its highest use because the process is fundamentally political. Contractors with all the wrong training and incentives but the right connections have the best chance of winning jobs. No surprise, the GAO says that USAID's Haiti reports have been incomplete and not timely.

Haitians are bitterly disappointed. But with Mr. Clinton in charge, supervised by Mrs. Clinton and her State Department sidekick, the outcome was predictable.

Write to O'Grady@wsj.com

Mary O'Grady: Bill, Hillary and the Haiti Debacle - WSJ.com

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I just saw a piece about this on the news, depressing stuff. Billions poured in and not much to show. The interview revealed that LOTS of money was used to build an industrial site [to me it sounded like a zona franca] in Haiti's north. Apparently there ARE some buildings there, but they never built the accompanying infrastructure, which include roads and a port. They said not only was the planned port never built, they now say they a port CANNOT be built there. :ermm:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am told - so it's not first hand that Haiti is not much better off now than one month after the earthquake.

Look at all the high profile that stepped up initially, then stepped out...
the system might need some corrective surgery

Apr 7, 2014
I just saw a piece about this on the news, depressing stuff. Billions poured in and not much to show. The interview revealed that LOTS of money was used to build an industrial site [to me it sounded like a zona franca] in Haiti's north. Apparently there ARE some buildings there, but they never built the accompanying infrastructure, which include roads and a port. They said not only was the planned port never built, they now say they a port CANNOT be built there. :ermm:

This is the new course of events in the ever adapting business model.

The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism - Naomi Klein - Google Books

Mar 1, 2009
The gloss and shine are wearing off the Clintons more and more. They stand revealed as the New World Order fiends that they are. I didn't dare believe it at first but the policy of constant chaos and anarchy that they promote to keep countries week and in debt is true.
Haitians should kick Clinton, his cronies and all the NGO's out of there yesterday. His ego is massaged, he gets worshipped and the "natives" should thank him for simply fluffing around.
The tents are still there, people are still starving and eating mud you jerk, you bum.
He has done NOTHING but steal and push the now defacto fusion of the islands two republics which neither side wants but the former and hell, current masters of the universe think is best for the 'poor unfortunates natives".
A new "class" of people have been created, the Haitian-Dominican", it was either you were Dominican or you were Haitian and that was IT. Now this new class of people will be sponsored by those foreign NGO's and continue to push and push. Until finally others push back.

Thanks Bill and Hilary, your buddy Lie-nel is enjoying the money from the reconstruction of Haiti that you've given him.
I hope next time Bill inhales and chokes on it.

LLLLLLLLLLLLL CCCCCCCCCCcccccccccccc

Aug 6, 2006
The Wall Street Journal; dislikes Bill Clinton. What a surprise!

It dislikes Hillary as well: an even bigger surprise!

============================================
What sort of aid package exactly would the Republicans have organized?
Comparing the Democrats with perfection is not really a realistic point of view: they should be compared with the alternative, which is most likely even worse. What I have heard is that most of the aid pledged to Haiti after the earthquake never actually arrived.

I do not trust the Wall Street Journal (owned by who was that again?) to be any sort of impartial observer.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The Wall Street Journal; dislikes Bill Clinton. What a surprise!

It dislikes Hillary as well: an even bigger surprise!

============================================
What sort of aid package exactly would the Republicans have organized?
Comparing the Democrats with perfection is not really a realistic point of view: they should be compared with the alternative, which is most likely even worse. What I have heard is that most of the aid pledged to Haiti after the earthquake never actually arrived.

I do not trust the Wall Street Journal (owned by who was that again?) to be any sort of impartial observer.
Bill is likeable , crook that he is. Hilary isn't likeable, crook that she is.

What the Republicans might have done is irrelevant to what the Clintons and friends did. There are no impartial observers any more , least of all you. Most of Canada's aid actions have been more or less successful, even with World bank involvement. Perhaps the problem really is the Democrats.

Aug 6, 2006
You would say that, wouldn't you?

I find both of the Clintons quite likeable. Hillary is remarkably more likeable than Paul Ryan, Rand Paul or that clown Ted Cruz.

And it is very relevant what the Republicans would have done about Haiti. I am guessing much, much less aid.

My opinion is a lot more viable than any you could conjure up. The WSJ detests all Democrats and has since at least the days of Woodrow Wilson, perhaps before that.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
How useless is a sack of hammers? What a stupid remark. It would take a very dimwitted person to believe that a sack of hammers is not useful.
Haiti could prolly use a few sackfuls of hammers instead of rhetoric.

I said dumber not useless, Derf. Hammers are useful in Haiti.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Here is the article about the port,, which was supposed to be in Ft Liberte Northern Haiti port to be expanded after U.S. fails to get investors for new facility - Haiti - MiamiHerald.com Private money could not be found for the project so there are now plans for an expansion of the port in Cap Haitian.

Here is the page for the report of the international funds and how they have been spent. Home | Haiti Reconstruction Fund All funds have been spent in accordance with the plans of the government of Haiti. They have been distributed either by the UN, the Haitian government, or the World Bank.

It is true that the Korean plant, which now employs 20,000 persons is perhaps the most visible.

Ms OGrady's piece seems a bit slanted in that Bill Clinton was appointed as the UN Special Envoy. Yes, the interim commission was operationally funded by the State Department http://www.state.gov/p/wha/rls/fs/2011/154141.http but it also had the Prime Minister of Haiti and many of the business leaders of Haiti on it.

This is the organization which has been operational since 2012 Pledging Donors | Haiti Reconstruction Fund

This criticism of Clinton is old news. I think that best observation was this report from Oxfam Report criticizes Haiti recovery commission led by Bill Clinton | Need to Know | PBS

?Many Haitian officials still do not have the technical ability to lead projects, and almost no major reconstruction projects have started. "
Oxfam officials suggested the IHRC fix communication problems and improve coordination with Haitian officials on immediate reconstruction needs and long-term planning. a dozen Haitian members of the IHRC sent a letter to Clinton and Bellerive complaining that they had been left out of the decision-making process. ?The twelve Haitian members present here feel completely disconnected from the activities of the IHRC,?

There were $330 million in projects approved and they were completed or are still underway under the Interim Commission.

For a reminder of how bad the damage was, it is good to review... Damage to infrastructure in the 2010 Haiti earthquake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, everyone was hoping for miracles. Everyone was hoping it would look more like Miami.

But I really think that to blame Clinton.. who worked harder than anyone.. really. Executive Message??|??Clinton Bush Haiti Fund Clinton Foundation in Haiti | Clinton Foundation

But most of the folks who are in Haiti to "help" are considered to be part of the problem.After the quake, praise becomes resentment in Haiti | Center for Public Integrity

But, since Haiti still almost tops the World's corruption scale, there is no choice for most donors but to give the money to other entities.

Aug 6, 2006
I said dumber not useless, Derf. Hammers are useful in Haiti.

The expression is that something is as dumb as a sackful of hammers. Hammers are useful when wielded by carpenters.

mountainannie makes some very good points. I read about Haiti in the Miami Herald every day. So far, I have never read any article about ANY project in Haiti that lived up to its originally announced expectations.

Occasionally, some individual Haitian manages to achieve all his or her goals or get fair treatment.
But all projects seem to fall flat.

In an only semi related incident, Haitian talkshow hostess and North Miami Mayor Lucy Tondreau seems to have collaborated on a mortgage and house flipping scam and has been removed as mayor by the governor as a result.

Mar 1, 2009
I used to live in North Miami and the transformation has been from italian american enclave to it's current "carribbean" incarnation is underwhelming to say the least, that's the kindest way to describe it. Haitians are very close knit and very hardworking, they also seem to have the ability to "push out" and overwhelm other groups. The sections of North Miami of Keystone and Sans Souci are seeking to secede from the portions of the city that are carribbean majority.

However back to Bill and Hilary, they and they're people are in charge, at least partly in charge. So if "some" things go wrong and remain unsolved then it is their responsibility.

Otherwise "clear out or govern", get out of the way and ask the BRICS to take over, of course the "juicy" contracts and the potential to make even more money out of the black hole reconstruction has become won't let them.

I really want Haitians to kick these fleas and ticks out. I have more descriptive words for these bloodsuckers but I don't want to get banned, MountainAnnie might miss me :)

(Atlantic City, here I come).....

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCccccccccc

Aug 6, 2006
Yeah, like a Haitian living in a "shoddy trailer" is ever so much worse off than one living under a large piece of plastic sheeting under the stars.

In ONE CASE a trailer was found to have high levels of formaldehyde. I am sure that Hillary and Bill got together and specifically selected moldy trailers and that one laced with formaldehyde.

This is just stupid Hillaryhate propaganda.

What sort of relief would Mitt Romney have provided? Would he have enlisted help from his pals in the Caymans? Would John McCain have asked his wife to send some free Budweiser to alleviate the pain caused by the earthquake?

Last edited:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Bill, Hillary and the Haiti Debacle

Haitians are upset by the reconstruction effort managed by the Clintons.

May 18, 2014 5:36 p.m. ET
The news website Tout Haiti reported last month that two prominent lawyers have petitioned Haiti's Superior Court of Auditors and Administrative Disputes, demanding an audit of Bill Clinton's management of the Interim Haiti Recovery Commission (IHRC). There are powerful interests that won't want to see the petition succeed and it may go nowhere. But the sentiment it expresses is spreading fast. In the immortal words of Charlie Brown, Mr. Clinton has gone from hero to goat.

Four years after a magnitude 7.0 earthquake toppled the capital city of Port-au-Prince and heavily damaged other parts of the country, hundreds of millions of dollars from the State Department's U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), allocated to the IHRC, are gone. Hundreds of millions more to the IHRC from international donors have also been spent. Left behind is a mishmash of low quality, poorly thought-out development experiments and half-finished projects.

Haitians are angry, frustrated and increasingly suspicious of the motives of the IHRC and of its top official, Mr. Clinton. Americans might feel the same way if they knew more about this colossal failure. One former Haitian official puts it this way: "I really cannot understand how you could raise so much money, put a former U.S. president in charge, and get this outcome."

Allow me to hazard a guess: While Mr. Clinton was running things for the IHRC, and the U.S. was leading the reconstruction effort, Hillary Clinton was the U.S. Secretary of State, which means that Mr. Clinton was reporting to his wife. Cheryl Mills, Mrs. Clinton's chief of staff and counselor to the State Department (an adviser and consultant to the secretary), traveled to the country an estimated 30 times in four years. A State Department spokesman told me that "reflected the high priority the United State places on Haiti's recovery and development." Requests for comment from Mr. Clinton, through the Clinton Foundation, about the petition and his IHRC record went unanswered.

The Clinton crowd has a lot of experience in Haiti. After President Clinton used the U.S. military to return Jean Bertrand Aristide to power in 1994, assorted Friends of Bill went into business to milk Haiti's state-owned telephone monopoly. Telecom revenues were one of the few sources of hard currency for the country so the scheme hurt Haitians. (See Americas columns Oct. 27, 2008, and March 12, 2012.)

Haitian filmmaker Raoul Peck sheds light on Mr. Clinton's most recent Haiti adventures in the 2013 documentary "Fatal Assistance." Mr. Peck uses footage from an IHRC meeting in December 2010, when 12 Haitian commissioners confronted co-chairmen Mr. Clinton and Haitian Prime Minister Jean Max Bellerive, complaining that the commissioners had been marginalized.

The full letter they read from that day includes the charge that "the staffing and consultant selection" excluded Haitian board members. "No documentation on hiring criteria or candidate selection was sent to inform board members. The same is true for selected consultants; the Haitian board members don't even know the names of the consultants who work for the IHRC nor their respective tasks."

Obviously the Haitians didn't understand. That was the job of the Clinton machine, which controlled the bankroll and could award the lucrative contracts.

A June 2013 Government Accountability Office report gave a barely passing grade to USAID's Haiti reconstruction effort. It said $170 million was allocated to build a power plant and a port near the Caracol Industrial Park, not far from Cap-Ha?tien. The two projects "are interdependent; each must be completed and remain viable for the other to succeed," the GAO explained. The first phase of the power plant was completed on time and under budget. But the port construction was delayed by two years "due in part to a lack of USAID expertise in port planning in Haiti." Projected costs, according to the report, say the estimated shortfall of $117 million to $189 million is larger than originally estimated. "It is unclear whether the Haitian government will be able to find a private sector company willing to finance the remainder of the project."

The "Fatal Assistance" film features shoddy housing projects plopped down where there is poor infrastructure and few job prospects. The GAO report cites other housing snafus. USAID underestimated funding requirements. Its budget went up by 65%, and the number of houses to be built came down by 80%. "Inappropriate cost comparisons were used"; and Haitians, it turns out, prefer flush toilets.

Foreign aid is notoriously wasteful and often counterproductive. Even when the money is not going directly to Swiss bank accounts it is rarely allocated to its highest use because the process is fundamentally political. Contractors with all the wrong training and incentives but the right connections have the best chance of winning jobs. No surprise, the GAO says that USAID's Haiti reports have been incomplete and not timely.

Haitians are bitterly disappointed. But with Mr. Clinton in charge, supervised by Mrs. Clinton and her State Department sidekick, the outcome was predictable.

Write to O'Grady@wsj.com

Mary O'Grady: Bill, Hillary and the Haiti Debacle - WSJ.com

That is sad but not surprising. Anytime you get a politician running the show from the comfort of his office in NYC the results you get are not unexpected. I don't trust any politician with that amount of money. If these alligations are true than shame on the Clinton's for highjacking the process.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yeah, like a Haitian living in a "shoddy trailer" is ever so much worse off than one living under a large piece of plastic sheeting under the stars.

In ONE CASE a trailer was found to have high levels of formaldehyde. I am sure that Hillary and Bill got together and specifically selected moldy trailers and that one laced with formaldehyde.

This is just stupid Hillaryhate propaganda.

What sort of relief would Mitt Romney have provided? Would he have enlisted help from his pals in the Caymans? Would John McCain have asked his wife to send some free Budweiser to alleviate the pain caused by the earthquake?

Actually Mitt would probably have brought his great organizing skills to the forefront and enlisted the Mormon brigades as well. With his business acumen, he would know how to get the most amount of aid delivered in the most efficient manner.
I wonder if you actually get it, but I think you are blind in one eye and can't see out of the other. They knew the trailers were hazardous to human health and yet they brought them to Haiti knowing full well they would be used by children.