garlicgate

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i cautiously put this thread here. today in the news: Z 101
a transport of garlic was caught and confiscated.

this theme is a recurring one in DR. i read about smuggling garlic all the time. can anyone explain to me what the hell is that about? why garlic and not other agricultural products? what's the meaning of this?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Garlic's an aphrodisiac. The raid was probably part of the multi-pronged attack on the sex industry.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the one time i hope for a thread not to go off topic... serves me right, ha ha ha.

XO, it's about how garlic became a contraband of choice in DR. why is that? is dominican garlic too expensive? why does it have to be smuggled? surely, there's more money in muling coke? is garlic a commodity now?

May 5, 2007
i cautiously put this thread here. today in the news: Z 101
a transport of garlic was caught and confiscated.

this theme is a recurring one in DR. i read about smuggling garlic all the time. can anyone explain to me what the hell is that about? why garlic and not other agricultural products? what's the meaning of this?

Should have read the expert replies before posting :confused:

Aug 6, 2006
Perhaps garlic is higher in price on a per kilo/ per pound basis, like cigarettes.
I have noticed that it used to be that all the garlic in my supermarket was from California. The town of Gilroy considered itself the "Garlic Capital of the World". Now nearly all the Garlic I see in the supermarket is labeled "product of China". Large, mutant garlic, called "elephant garlic" has vanished.

I did not notice that garlic was overly expensive in the DR. I admit that I am at a loss at explaining this phenomena.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Elephant Garlic as it is called is actually a scallion. Garlic is the easiest thing in the world to grow yourself. Plant bulbs in September or early October cut the skates last week here in City Island. Dig up garlic from June to July.
The skates or the green part that comes out of the ground makes an awesome pesto.

DO NOT BUY CHINESE GARLIC or Honey.

This was not a hijack just a speedbump

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"BIG GARLIC" here in the DR, Has "Big Money", Soooooooooooooo they get their friends in government to prohibit cheap Haitian garlic from killing their HUGE profits.
And, YES"'garlic is VERY expensive here!
JUST LIKE "Onions"!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The Constanza farmers have always said that the garlic that is coming in from Haiti is actually from China.. but it does seem that Haiti has increased production.Factfish Garlic, production quantity for Haiti

the press notes that much of the garlic seized has been through 4 or 5 checkpoints already. So there is a lot of bribe money.

Technically, I believe, all agricultural products from Haiti are banned. But i am not current on this. The only other big market is for the Miami Rice which is traded at the border. And there are fresh veggies at the market particularly in the South where that is really the only source of veggies.

Contrabando Hait? quiebra productores de ajo

I do not know where the information on the garlic being from China comes.

Aug 6, 2006
Milorganite is fertilizer processed from the Milwaukee sewer plant. They sell it at Home Depot and Lowe's.

I do not believe that one can contract diseases from garlic that is properly peeled and washed.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I trust Milwaukee to have the necessary checks and measures in place to ensure that the product is safe.

I do not trust China.

To keep this somewhat DR related, for all the comments about Dominicans taking short cuts, having no respect for the environment, other humans, animals, etc, etc, compared to the Chinese they are 100 times better.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i see. so it is all about money. i've only been to constanza, the garlic land, once. the look at the fields, the irrigation system and the setup makes me think that agriculture is a business costly to run.

interestingly i tried to buy fresh garlic and it was not available. nothing better than fresh garlic just pulled out of the ground. to dominicans this is unimaginable. they do not harvest anything fresh. no baby carrots, fresh garlic or fresh spring onion with shallots.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i see. so it is all about money. i've only been to constanza, the garlic land, once. the look at the fields, the irrigation system and the setup makes me think that agriculture is a business costly to run.

interestingly i tried to buy fresh garlic and it was not available. nothing better than fresh garlic just pulled out of the ground. to dominicans this is unimaginable. they do not harvest anything fresh. no baby carrots, fresh garlic or fresh spring onion with shallots.

actually, Dominicans harvest things that are too fresh. i bought a one pound bag of cherries yesterday, and 20% of them were bright green. there is no selective picking of fruit; they pick everything. you can buy an avocado today, and you have to set it down for a week for it to be edible. the other trick is to artificially ripen green fruits with some substance which is colloquially referred to in the caribbean as carbine. the fruits look gorgeous, but taste like straw.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"XO" we are talking about buying garlic HERE in the DR, Not in "Overtown"!
Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr "Wisconsin "POOP"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
The Hatian garlic as it is, one percent grown in Hait the rest grown in China. The Chinese agribusiness is so unhealthy that they have to pollinate crops by hand because bee colonies cannot thrive there. I would be very hesitant to buy any produce from china.

Of course garlic is expensive in the DR because everyone wants it.