Travel to Las Terrenas/Samana From Sosua

W

williamwt14

Hello..Does anyone have an idea of what buses/bus lines can get you to the east coast from the Sosua/cabarete area?

Cheers and thx

William

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
well, Samana is not the east coast....
but Pto Plata has regular buses for the LT trip

Can you flag one down on Sos/Cab?

Ask any bartender.........

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
There's the purple bus that passes thru Sosua and Cab after departing PP early a.m., can't think of the name. Then Transportes Las Terenas is the other. guaguas all day if you like that.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Is it (the purple bus) a company called Papagayo? Something like that maybe. It used to stop across the road from the bus depot in Los Charamicos around ten past seven in the morning. Haven't taken it since 2017, but I did hear someone talking about it last year or the year before. Don't take it on a Friday before a long holiday weekend unless you want to stand all the way to Nagua. It goes (used to go) to Samana, the city. wbr

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Yes, it is Transporte Papagayo, I couldn't think of the name. Leaves PP at 0630 for Samana and will stop along the way. It is best to call them the day before. They also stop at Janets on the way and yes Friday = busy.

I hope to take it in 2017 as well, lord willing and the river don't rise. I'll have to wait til then, don't have a time machine.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
You plan ur vacations well in advance.
By then, according to Pichardo, it will take 33 minutes to get there on the brand new high-speed train :p

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Papagayo: between 7:15 and 7:30am across La Bomba in Sosua. 350 peso. Cel: 8097496415. Phone them the day before. They are friendly and ok. If you go to Las Terrenas they drop you at the mountainroad to LT and you take another guagua fo 20 min thru the awesome mountains.
Transporte Las Terrenas: leaving Puerto Plata 1:00pm, in Sosua 1:30pm. Cel: 8297726608. They drive direct to Las Terrenas. Havn't used them, but I talked with the driver last March in LT. They leave for PP in LT at 6:30 am.

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
Hello, I thought I could ask my questions in this thread.

Are these buses (Papagayo and Transporte Las Terrenas) somewhat comfortable from Sosua/Cabarete to Las Terrenas? Assuming I get a seat and do not have to stand.. I plan to go on a Saturday (Jan 3 2015).

Anyone who has any experience with Transporte Las Terrenas since that bus seems to go "direct" to Las Terrenas?

Thanks for any help!

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Are these buses (Papagayo and Transporte Las Terrenas) somewhat comfortable from Sosua/Cabarete to Las Terrenas?
If you get a seat they a somewhat comfortable, but not caribe/metro-level. I strongly recommend a reservation, or maybe you'll be sitting on you luggage. If you take Papagayo you have to change to taxi for the last 30 min, 100 pesos, but be sure not to take one where you'll be sitting outside.
I think you can also change to Caribe in San Rio, if you want more comfort for the rest of the trip (quess it goes to Sanchez, where you change to LT).

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
If you get a seat they a somewhat comfortable, but not caribe/metro-level. I strongly recommend a reservation, or maybe you'll be sitting on you luggage. If you take Papagayo you have to change to taxi for the last 30 min, 100 pesos, but be sure not to take one where you'll be sitting outside.
I think you can also change to Caribe in San Rio, if you want more comfort for the rest of the trip (quess it goes to Sanchez, where you change to LT).

That's Rio San Juan.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think the phones listed earlier are good ones..

I see a bus come thru Cabrera regularly.

People in Samana will be able to guide you.... one day notice is all you need
arrange it when you get there