No water from Corraplata

sandk

Sep 20, 2010
We have a contract with Corraplata to supply water to our villa. We pay our bill regularly. Over the past 4 years, we have never received water daily ? at first it was 2 days per week, then it dropped to 1, and we now have not received water via the pipeline in over 3 months. In that 3 months, Corraplata has delivered water via truck to us 4 times ? approximately 1,000 gallons each time. Even with extremely conservative usage, this is nowhere near a sufficient amount to allow for even basic day-to-day activities like showers, laundry, cleaning on a regular basis. We take our laundry to a friend's house and we have had to buy water several times over the past 4 years, from a private water provider at inflated prices (~2500 gallons for RD3000), to tide us over, especially when we have visitors, yet we do not get a credit on our bill from Corraplata to offset this cost. We are one of 11 houses in our neighborhood ? all of which are experiencing the same issue (although not everyone has a contract and not everyone pays).

We believe we have gone well above and beyond in being patient for Corraplata to make repairs and corrections to their system ? all of which supposedly will allow them to finally deliver water via pipe again. Each time we call or visit the office, we get the same answer "problemo here, problemo there".

Our question for Mr. Guzman is: do we have any legal recourse against Corraplata for their failure to provide the product (water) for which we are paying and if so, what is the best way to pursue this? Or are we just out of luck and better off to cancel our contract and spend the money to have a well drilled?

Thank you, in advance, for your advice.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Sorry to hear this, but this is exactly why I moved to the Caribbean and why I'm able to work here. We manufacture and supply fresh water to major resorts and islands around the caribbean including the DR and Mexico. This problem is NOT exclusivly Dominican. Good luck.

sandk

Sep 20, 2010
Sandk,
So where are you on the north coast ?

Olly and the Team

Just outside (east) of Sosua. Since we are on the "uphill" side of the autopista, Corraplata has to turn off several valves in an attempt to create enough pressure to push the water up the hill to our project. They will only do that at night. As stated, even that has not worked for over 3 months....

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I live in Arroyo Hondo barrio of SD.
We get water 3 times a week, SOMETIMES!
I too have to buy a "Truck Load" of water several times a year, Soooooooooooooooo don't feel bad, It's the DR!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
SandK ,
Is that up the La mulata road or up the El Choco road.

Olly and the Team

sandk

Sep 20, 2010
SandK ,
Is that up the La mulata road or up the El Choco road.

Olly and the Team

La Mulata - near the International School. Supposedly there's a dedicated line to our project, however we know that a couple of years ago someone at Corraplata allowed it to be tapped near the New Life Church. Our problems started to get worse then and have just escalated since.

sandk

Sep 20, 2010
I live in Arroyo Hondo barrio of SD.
We get water 3 times a week, SOMETIMES!
I too have to buy a "Truck Load" of water several times a year, Soooooooooooooooo don't feel bad, It's the DR!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I'd kill for water 3 times a week! We've never gotten it that often since we've lived here. Where I'm from has had mandatory water restrictions for years so I'm used to conserving - and think it's important to do so. But it's frustrating to see the waste all around us (e.g. the propane station on the highway using a flippin' firehose to wash down the drive??) and yet we are told that we can't get water because there's not enough pressure to push the water up the hill. Ironically when we have to buy water, the guy who brings it goes and fills up at the Corraplata pump station so we are basically paying for it twice!

I know it's the DR and we are fully aware that it is not perfect (understatement of the day). We just want to know what, if any, our legal options are for pushing Corraplata to actually do something. Hopefully Mr. Guzman can help us with that.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
What's frustrating for me, is to have no water getting to my house, yet drive around the area and see water pouring out of the water lines into the streets.
AMONG MANY OTHER THINGS!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

sandk

Sep 20, 2010
What's frustrating for me, is to have no water getting to my house, yet drive around the area and see water pouring out of the water lines into the streets.
AMONG MANY OTHER THINGS!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I feel your pain, CCCCCC - been living it for several years ourselves. But, what do you do?! In our case, we will likely just end up forking out the $ to dig a well. At least that is an option for us, thankfully!

Would still like to see if we have any other recourse. Hopefully will hear from Sr. Guzman soon as we prefer not to do the well until we know.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
A little advice. If you do decide you want your own well, I suggest that you check around your area to see if there are other wells before you hire a driller. Ask about well production rates, depth, water quality, and permit requirements before talking to a driller. You don't want to pay out a bundle.for dry holes. Also make sure you understand from the driller how the well will be cased and sealed to detur rainwater intrusion. Make sure and ask the driller for refrences of other wells in your area and talk to the people before paying out a single peso.

sandk

Sep 20, 2010
A little advice. If you do decide you want your own well, I suggest that you check around your area to see if there are other wells before you hire a driller. Ask about well production rates, depth, water quality, and permit requirements before talking to a driller. You don't want to pay out a bundle.for dry holes. Also make sure you understand from the driller how the well will be cased and sealed to detur rainwater intrusion. Make sure and ask the driller for refrences of other wells in your area and talk to the people before paying out a single peso.

Great advice. Fortunately mi esposo designed water systems back home, so we have that expertise in the family. But your suggestions bear repeating for anyone who doesn't have that to draw on. Thanks!

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Every new tower in Santo Domingo has its own well. There are some companies in DR that drill, install the equipment, do the maintenance, etc. I think they have enough experience.