Are the Victoria Secret stores in SD legitimate?

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
I need to get some soap products from Victoria Secret and was planning on ordering online until I read on another threads that they have two locations in Santo Domingo.

But on their website, there is no mention of Victoria Secret having any stores in the DR. Are the Agora and Sambil stores owned by Victoria Secret, and more importantly, is the stuff they're selling real or knockoff?

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
I am interested in this response. I bought some Salvatore Ferragmo shoes in Santiago that were counterfeits. However they were very good. I knew they were knock offs when I purchased them.
There is a newer boutique in Sosua that had a ladies Jimmy Choo purse in the window. It had to be a counterfeit as very few tourists are going to drop 1,500.00 U.S on a purse in Sosua.

May 29, 2006
Victoria's Secret used be quality, now it's all crap perfectly suitable for its mall locations next to Spencer Gifts. I think the same parent company also owns Old Navy, which has also gone way down.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A *lot* of fakes in DR, some of them excellent copies. I saw a great knock-off Louis Vuitton wallet in a store in Puerto Plata, it was about $6-7 US.

I'm curious about VS too because my sister-in-law was just here for 2 weeks. One of her daughters wanted a bra like the one she'd purchased in SD [cheaper here], and we found it at the mall in NJ.

OP is right, nothing in DR is listed on the VS website, if you search for Dominican Republic it only brings up two stores in Puerto Rico.

PS: I just googled, and according to Wiki, [yeah, I know], they are both genuine stores:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria's_Secret#International_expansion

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Be very careful with knockoffs and fake reproductions. A friend of mine picked up a "lady of the night" and found out at the hotel she was a he. Lol. Everything in the DR can be made to look like the real deal.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Be very careful with knockoffs and fake reproductions. A friend of mine picked up a "lady of the night" and found out at the hotel she was a he. Lol. Everything in the DR can be made to look like the real deal.

That's good advice steve. However I check out the product closely before I leave the bar. I grope and handle it like I was in the produce section. Further , those guys that say they "didn't know " usually are looking for just that.
Now if you will excuse me I have to go "tape it up" for a shopping trip.

Feb 7, 2007
I think you still would be better off buying online and shipping via Miami. Anything sold in the DR in malls that is being sold in USA tend to be 2x more expensive in the DR.

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
I haven't been to the Victoria's Secret in SD, but in Bavaro at the San Juan Shopping Center, they have a US Factory Store that sells Victoria's Secret lotions and perfumes. They are the real thing, but they cost about triple what they would cost in the US.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
It is fake vs . I went to the outlet store in new jersy and even payed no tax on clothes and it was still cheaper in the DR.
Outlet no sales tax and still cheaper = fake !
But who cares I do not bring any more it works out cheaper for me just get her things in the DR and everyone is happy.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
She never wants one or two nice things that last or are good quality never .
She wants 10 cheep ones. I just stoped fighting and go with the flow.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
I am interested in this response. I bought some Salvatore Ferragmo shoes in Santiago that were counterfeits. However they were very good. I knew they were knock offs when I purchased them.
There is a newer boutique in Sosua that had a ladies Jimmy Choo purse in the window. It had to be a counterfeit as very few tourists are going to drop 1,500.00 U.S on a purse in Sosua.

Purse shopping, are we?

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
It's a genuine store.

Is there a guideline for knowing whether a store is genuine or not?

One thing I've often wondered is how to make out if a store is in fact genuine. In parts of Asia there are fake stores such as Bebe and Victoria Secret that look identical to the real thing, and it seems there would be little to prevent that from occurring here.