This board...

J

JohnS

It's funny, really! Everytime I enter this message board, I get the same feeling I got when entering my local pub in Gothenburg, Sweden.

The topics vary from strange ones, like where in DR you find the prettiest women (I have seen pretty women all over the world! ...as well as less attractive in every country I have been!) Or does DR women have a special set of DNA, making them more beautiful and eligible for marriage than women from Norway or New Zealand? That sounds quite weird to me... I love my Cecilia for the woman she is, NOT because she is black and dominican! For all I care, she could be eskimo or aboriginee!)

...and questions you easily get info on thru any search engine on the web, like the history of DR.

...to more understandable ones, like what it is like to travel in DR with kids or how dangerous it would be to ride a bike...

And just as in my hometown pub you get the familiar set of locals, who only meet in the pub and, it seems, no where else? They know each others characters and form a kind of "elite" internal club.

Then, there are people like me, who post the odd query or comment and just like in my hometown pub, stand at the end of the counter, looking on and kinda "eavesdropping" on the locals...

Funny by the way, how americanized this board is! Of course it has its natural reasons, but still...

Also funny, how dorks like that Ken Whatever get massive attention whereas some other people don't... Hm!?

Or perhaps I am totally wrong and just as "dorky" myself???

T

Theresa Faivre

I agree. I have been reading this board almost everyday for 6 months. My last trip to the D.R. was in July so it makes me feel like I am there. How come you don't here about foreign men trying to bring American women to their home country? Is it because no one really wants an American woman or is it because American women don't really want to leave their country?

P

Pib

Welcome to "The Loony Bin" Bar

Grab a Presidente and hold on to your pants. Some people have got theirs stolen.

J

JohnS

Re: Welcome to "The Loony Bin" Bar

stolen pants?

I take it a euphemism for something more esoterical? Please expound on this subject! My occasional lack of erudition sometime puts me "in the spot", as it where... (or is it "on the spot"?)

By the way, I still prefer Guiness!!!

P

Pib

LOL

"more esoterical"? There's nothing esoterical here. Some people have come to the board and loose their "cool" in record time, that's what I meant.

J

JohnS

Re: LOL

Okey, "havfrue" (do you know, Pib, how often she actually "loses" her head!) I will start the warming up process! Hahaha! Anyway, I am flying to Santo Domingo in three weeks from now and if Cecilia and Brugal won't make me steaming, nothing will...

C

criss colon

You are much too intelligent to waste your time "reading" this board!Your love of the dominican republic,its, people,and the chance of finding a post of value must keep you around.Be careful about saying that your Cecelia is black. You will soon be attacked, as I am, for marrying your "maid!" If she is younger than you, you will be called a "pervert!Criss

E

El Jefecito

true, you can get some of the Dominican History from search engines, but here you can actually talk to some of those who have seen history made. the sixties were one of the most historical eras in the DR. Some of us lived through them. For instance I can tell you of the fear of a ten year old being awoken at 2AM with a San Cristobal rifle pointed at your face, after they found the dictator's body in the house across the street.

I find the diversity of subjects and people on the board educational, entertaining and yes, sometimes frustrating i.e. Kenneth. I love the interchange of ideas and even the little fueds that go on. You have to admit it is fun...

J

JA809

I agree El jefe...and ya Criss is right, cecilia is NOT black, she's morenita...there's a difference...le ofendes saying she's morena...

E

Ed and Mame

Well, you got ONE thing right : your sentence that begins
..."and just as in my hometown pub..." Yes, THAT'S right !!!
Why do you come into our "pub" anyway???? -Mame-

G

Grahame Bush

Re: Trying to stir things up??

You little tinker, trying to start up a hornets nest!!!! See you in 5 weeks or so - reply in the next batch of e-mails out!!
Regards - Grahame

E

Ed and Mame

YEAH, EL JEFFE...!!!

It's REAL PEOPLE in here ... not a computer website programmer!!!!! -Mame-

C

Carol

Hope I'm included!!

Hi Grahame

Hope I'm included in the next batch of e-mails. Haven't heard from you for ages. I'm starting to feel like the old lady with the red lipstick that's missed her mouth, sitting in the corner with a guinness in one hand and a scotch in the other and a permanent cigarette dangling from her mouth!!

Carol

C

criss colon

Re: Hope I'm included!!

Sounds like a "plan" Carol! If only you could be here sitting at the beach to do it! Criss

C

Carol

Re: Hope I'm included!!

I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing right now!!

J

JohnS

Why do I come into your "pub"??? Well, Mame, out of curiosity I guess? And to look for first-hand information from people who ought to know! By the way... who is the "our" in "our pub"?

J

JohnS

Re: Trying to stir things up??

Tinker? Lemme see now: "Mischievous person or animal"!
Yeah, right... Hm...

Tinker...
Tailor, Soldier, Spy,
I wonder who can tell me why...

Some are this way, some are that way,
Some don't bother, some don't try,
Some are friendly, some are not,
Some are mean and some... what not?

Stirring up a hornets nest?
Hm? Sounds good, like a quest!
Mame, Pib, Criss and all the rest
Can respond, do their best!

Give us views, new ideas!
Share with us, what we don't know!
Show me yours, I'll show you mine...
It's a pub and not a shrine!

Is this nonsense, out of line?
Sucking rhymes as smooth as twine!?
Lack of context? Not much there?
But stay with me, try to bear!

Here's my point, now you'll see
What all of this is meant to be

This here "pub" is our pub!
Drunk or sober, wise or not
We meet up here, to speak or listen
Gaff and grunt, discuss the plot

So pero paso, por favor!
Have a beer, have some more?
All are welcome, y?all come here!
And as for me, can I go there?

(From now on, only prose! I promise! Hahahahaha!)

E

Ed and Mame

JohnS: Re: Trying to stir things up??

Great stuff! Seems easy for you - I'd enjoy more! Sounds like it "comes off the top of your head..."? Keep it up! That kind of talent shouldn't be wasted! -Mame-