Pooky and Christmas in the DR

G

Golda

Pooky;

I finally figured out that you and several others (If there are several others) are using the same anonymous selection available below for your postings. Are you doing it to hide your idenity or to kep from getting scanned and having other problems?

as for deletions and guidelines, don't bother. This board shuns hard news and information and is a palyground for a certain few idiots who believe they have knowledge of something other than their own idiosycracies, they do not.

try Debbies Dominican page if you really want to find out anything about the DR.

Oh yes, can anyone tell me of any traditional American Christmas celebrations in Santo Domingo? I refer to "public" displays and or parties for those of us on holiday.

Golda

C

criss colon

I thought that "POOPY" was some frustrated English guy that goes up-and-down the board posting;"What does this have to do with the DR?!Now you say he could be "one of us?" Criss

C

criss colon

Re: Pooky and Christmas in the DR/Christmas

Golda,Just call the American Consulate,I go to a very "American" Christmas Party at the home of the Ambassador every Dec.24th. Or go by and leave your "card", if you are not on some list of "undesirables" you should get an invite! Hope to see you there!Criss

E

Ed and Mame

Golda, you got one helluva nerve ...!

In your post you say (quote) "This board shuns hard news and information and is a playground for a certain few idiots who believe they have knowledge of something other than their own idiosycracies, they do not."
Then you give advice to go to a particular website to get DR information.
Then you end your post with (quote): "Oh yes, can anyone tell me of any traditional American Christmas celebrations in Santo Domingo? I refer to "public displays and or parties for those of us on holiday."
GET IT...?!?! (YOU go to Debbie's website!!!) -Mame-

G

Golda

How I luv yah, how I luv yah MAME

Yes, I have one hell of a nerve and am not afraid to show it. I will post here on or Debbies board as I see fit. If you feel that you are one of the "useless" posters I refer to, live with it, your problem not mine

H

hillbilly

Dear golda: Like most open forums..

this one has its ups and downs.
I do feel that you can get the "insider's view" on just about anything you want. You might get a LOT more than that, depending on how the question was phrased, and just what it was you asked about.
After all, this is the Internet, and some people have a lot of time on their hands.
However, generally speaking, I think that there is more information here than at Debbie's site-Which I must add is an excellent place for a lot of questions.

As for what you asked about: Christmas is really Christmas Eve here and it is an intensly family affair. the kids are the stars and food and drink are for the grown ups. People do decorate with lights and such Santa displays, some elaborate some just a few strings. A lot has been imported from the States, as far as trees and decorations go, but it is healthy in most ways. New years is another affair with more of a party atmosphere to it and the Malecon in Santo Domingo is one of the IN places.

As for other "american" holidays, I have to say that they are more commercial ventures than anything else since both Halloween and Thanksgiving have intimate relations with the Northern European traditions or uniquely American traditions-such as Thanksgiving. Since Dominicans love good eating, those that can do make turkeys and the trimings and do decorate with pumpkins and such. But it is few and far between...and really not important.

i do hope that this is what you asked about.

HB

G

Golda

Thank you Hillbilly

There are a few, yourself included, that often provide insightful and honest answers. Unfortunately, the uninitiated are usually put off by the crass answers of the minority that appear to control this forum

yes, that was the answer (well not really, I had hoped the result was different) I was looking for, Christmas is a "family affair" and tourists should seek other venues for entertainment

D

DR1

Your be pleased to know....

things are about to change very soon around here :)

Maybe we should restrict this board so that all messages can be viewed but only people that have passwords can post???

Maybe that will sift out a few of the kids we have here?

Rob.

J

Joe

PASSORDS? NOT A GOOD IDEA

My opinion is that if you enforce that password system in this board, it wont be as popular as it is now. this is supposed to be a board so that people can post questions and comments about the DR. sure we get some stupid people make some stupid comments, but that is not the solution to the problem, besides it's not such a big deal,and it can be quite amusing to read those funny posts. there's so many websites that ask users to sign up and get a password, and this doesn't have to be one of them. i hope you dont do that so we can keep this board. it is perfect this way.

D

Doug

Rob

Also Rob, PPl will get passwords from you another way, from a different comp. or some other way that you will not be able to detect, so no matter what you do....ppl will get on if they want to......besides this must be a great board, because ppl that are banned go through different avenues just to get on....these are the ppl that have said "I would never go back on that board, even if you paid me" well as you know "they are back here" going the extra mile to get on undetected, I know how easy it is to get on under a false id, and these ppl that are banned will go that route to get on.

D

DR1

If you know a....

better solution, I'm all ears!

As I have said, food for thought right now...

Rob.

M

manfred

Passwords

Webmaster

If posting from anonymous proxy servers bother you please say so, many of us have reasosn for doing so. I believe a password protected site would ruin your work quickly and make a grave mistake for all involved.

Manfred

L

Loren

solution

You opened up a separate busines board and it appears to be pretty tame:

"Hello, I am Vladimir from Slobovia. I am world recognized exporter of ice blocks looking for distributor in your country."

Perhaps open a third board, a g-rated board where people can say:

"I'm going to the Dominican Republic in August. Will it be hot?

Then leave this one open for "general topics" or whatever you want to say or call it.

You notice people don't get too out of hand on your business one because they have an alternative. People would no longer have an excuse to cry "censorship" on one end or "smut!" on the other. Maybe you could even let Tom & Arcoiris back! (hehehe well at least Tom. Maybe I went to far there.)

Guys, what do you think?

T

tadpole

Re: Golda, you got one helluva nerve ...!

We lose ur tails and then become a frog and then a prince when we get that kiss
Stay with Debbies, Rob does a good job

T

Tony C.

Differences makes us great.

One of the good things about this board is that people are not afraid to express their opinions, no matter how people might take them. One man's passion is anothers idioscy. I think those who have a problem with some of these posts need to just take a deep breath and go to E-bay and look for a sense of humor. It is the differences that make us great.

And lets be honest. How serious can we take this place? It is the DR after all!

C

criss colon

Re: solution

Loren has again proved his "leadership" qualities! Have a "Chat room" Leave the "general info" on Dr1,and let the other "stuff" go to the DR1 "Club Dominicana" chat room. A place with more "liberal" guidelines,altho I have no problem with Rob,s decisions,it would be easier for the "occational" user to get an ansewer without the "personalities" verbally assaulting eachother in every "thread". I also favor "banning: "TW", "AZB',"Golda", and Criss Colon! They never have anything of value to add! "Dump" them! Simon Bolivar

G

Golda

Criss, you desert quickly

Criss

You asy dump me when I agreed with you 67.5% of the time, especially in your past heted battles with AZB.

The fact that I defend myself, with no support of those I have helped makes me a candidate for expulsion.

I see even though you were in the military you have no grasp for tactics and building allies, can you recall earlier exchanges when I didn;t open my mouth with the exception of criticizing ZAB's anti semetic tirades (and those were only in reply to my name, and I am not Jewish) and you cheered with me and said thank you for putting AZB in his place???

I guess co allition building here is similar to Afghanistan :), use a person for your purpose than turn on them, you will quickly be eaten up with those credentials

Golda

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: Golda, you got one helluva nerve ...!

Debbie's Dominican Travel is a RA,RA,RA forum. No depth, little original thoughts and few ideas. Strictly for Girl Scouts.