Medical Labs

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)

The reason for this post is to offer some information/opinions re: medical labs in S.D. for the benefit of the community.

Wherever I am in the world, whether it be China, Viet Nam, or D.R., I generally prefer labs inside of or adjacent to public hospitals. In the above three countries the fees are very small. If you go to a private or "foreigners" venue you may have to pay a lot of money for a consult in order to receive a lab and more for the lab too.

Anyone may use a lab, for example, for cholesterol testing, or because of medical necessity. For 20+ years I have been taking warfarin, so I need an INR lab on a regular basis.

In Santo Domingo, I visited Bio-Test near Clinica Abreu in Gazcue 25+ times. I "broke" my rule re: being adjacent to a public hospital. The prices were reasonable and I did not need a consult as long as I could show my passport and explain exactly what I needed.

Since that time, I have switched to a different lab across from Padre Billini Hospital on Santome. This lab is called Laboratorio Clinico ONEMILAB. It's prices are about 1/3 less than the prices in Gazcue.

For example, for my INR lab and a fasting cholesterol lab (not lipid panel), I paid $RD 400 -- for both. In both labs, you can receive results in several hours or return the next day. If you need to send to a physician back home, you can scan to a flash drive and email as attachment, if your medical service permits this.

Thus far, I have found labs to be efficient and practicing good aseptic techniques wherever I've been.

Hope this helps someone.