May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
14457296863_ae4a05b7d2_b.jpg

14413996526_168e85d006_b.jpg

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
What will they be installing to keep out the low lifes and the hustlers

That's called Cestur. All my Dominican friends are scared of walking down the street at night for fear of being arrested. We do have very efficient policing in the Colonial Zone, you rarely hear of anything serious happening.

I'm pleased they are putting the metal posts in, the ones made of stone were already getting smashed up as people insisted on parking on top of them. I keep hearing that they are starting work on the Conde but so far nothing has happened, I really hope this happens next.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
The above are reference pictures to how it's intended to look, not SD ZC as it looks now!
In DR 3D renders always look good (well, good for DR), but the final result always looks like sh1t. Haitian workers and Dominican engineers f@ck up everything. Just compare 3D renders of any project before it was finished, and the actual result. Every torre, every mall, etc. That's why I'll never buy an apartment in the building under construction. Who knows how ugly they build it finally?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
In DR 3D renders always look good (well, good for DR), but the final result always looks like sh1t. Haitian workers and Dominican engineers f@ck up everything. Just compare 3D renders of any project before it was finished, and the actual result. Every torre, every mall, etc. That's why I'll never buy an apartment in the building under construction. Who knows how ugly they build it finally?

The problem is they inherited Spanish engineering. We are trying to get away from that as we speak. Ing. Chi MAC. :)

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I was in the CZ a few weeks ago. It appeared that the area around the cathedral was already excavated and the cables were being laid. Eliminating that electrical wiring dangling overhead will be a welcomed improvement.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
The Zona Coloniale is a great place for living history and tourism. It's about time the DR Gov stepped in to help preserve and protect this treasure.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Back in the day, can you imagine the history that was lost / destroyed when they excavated without care for the archeology that lay beneath ?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
the reason I mention that is b/c some of the artifacts they found on the north coast recently (in a conducted dig) have totally changed the way they view the history of the country.

much more activity and settlement in the north than previously thought.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I like what is going on, but where are the trees!!! Funny I left a city that was going through regentrification, to move to another one. Has anyone been into the Bellini Hotel? very nice renovation, also notice more hotels and condos projects started in ZC.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
I like what is going on, but where are the trees!!! Funny I left a city that was going through regentrification, to move to another one. Has anyone been into the Bellini Hotel? very nice renovation, also notice more hotels and condos projects started in ZC.

Exactly, where are the trees? One of the reasons Conde is so ugly is there are no trees. Your burn walking down Conde. That and the dirty pavement, the overflowing garbage cans, the vagrants sleeping outside next to the street vendors selling crap. That said I love the Zona Colonial and believe that it has great potential. It has come a long way in the past several years but much more work is required. Enforcement by authorities, street cleaners on a swing shift and investment by big business. The Gonzalez family who owns Cuesta, Jumbo and La Nacional need to step it up and revamp the store on Conde and Duarte. The place is managed poorly and the products on the shelf appear to be the garbage otheir locations can't sell. They should be embarressed having that store opened in a tourist region. Where is the La Nacional they promised to open? The family who opened the BH Hotel deserves a big thank you for doing such a great job. Please suport their investment by reffering people to stay there.

If the President is serious about revamping the countries historical area he needs to clean house at Patrimony and ADN and hire a new team with an outsourced oversight committee. Too much venting?

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
The Zona Coloniale is a great place for living history and tourism. It's about time the DR Gov stepped in to help preserve and protect this treasure.

Now all we need is to drop the real south beach into areas east of SDQ, (sound familiar?), I.e. Find a developers w management skills and balls to build real AIs a la Punta Cana within an hour of the CZ, and we will have the makings of a real tourist
destination....me? I'm holding my breath for the opening up of Havana, while drinking my Jumbo frias on a Duarte corner.

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
Exactly, where are the trees? One of the reasons Conde is so ugly is there are no trees. Your burn walking down Conde. That and the dirty pavement, the overflowing garbage cans, the vagrants sleeping outside next to the street vendors selling crap. That said I love the Zona Colonial and believe that it has great potential. It has come a long way in the past several years but much more work is required. Enforcement by authorities, street cleaners on a swing shift and investment by big business. The Gonzalez family who owns Cuesta, Jumbo and La Nacional need to step it up and revamp the store on Conde and Duarte. The place is managed poorly and the products on the shelf appear to be the garbage otheir locations can't sell. They should be embarressed having that store opened in a tourist region. Where is the La Nacional they promised to open? The family who opened the BH Hotel deserves a big thank you for doing such a great job. Please suport their investment by reffering people to stay there.

If the President is serious about revamping the countries historical area he needs to clean house at Patrimony and ADN and hire a new team with an outsourced oversight committee. Too much venting?

A good Conde start would be to push out the Western European rat trap aparta hotel owners who should know better, but
contribute nothing but more filth and sleazy business acumen. Some are ok...but one or two I've dealt with are really poor
Excuses of foreign investment.