Romeo Sells Out Yankee Stadium

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Bronx boy [sorry BB!!] Romeo Santos has done the almost impossible - he's sold out Yankee Stadium two night in a row.

In the Language of Romance, Romeo Santos Is a True Superstar

By LARRY ROHTER JULY 10, 2014

Pink Floyd?s ?The Wall? couldn?t do it, Jay Z got help from Justin Timberlake and Eminem, and Metallica didn?t try. Selling out consecutive shows at Yankee Stadium, with its capacity of roughly 50,000, is nearly impossible for any pop music artist not named Paul McCartney. But Romeo Santos, who will perform there Friday and Saturday nights, is about to achieve that feat.

Mr. Santos, who grew up in the Bronx a Yankee fan, calls himself the king of bachata, a genre born in the sugarcane fields of the Dominican Republic, refined in New York City and characterized by rippling guitars, a gently pulsating beat and, in contrast to salsa, an absence of horns. But despite his enormous popularity ? one video from his most recent CD has been viewed 345 million times on YouTube, compared with 185 million for Beyonc?s ?Drunk in Love? ? he is all but unknown to Americans who speak only English.

Mr. Santos?s success is a testament not only to the growing influence the nation?s Hispanic population of more than 50 million and his own two decades in the music business, but also to a new kind of music he has pioneered and mastered. By infusing a traditional Latino sound and its subject matter ? romance ? with R&B and inflections of hip-hop, Mr. Santos, 32, has created a genre that bridges traditional differences of taste between the Caribbean and Mexican-American worlds while appealing to young Latinos growing up listening to American music.

?There?s a large pool of young Latinos wanting to connect to something that?s kind of hip-hoppish but isn?t rap, that?s kind of romantic, like R&B, but is in Spanish and thus their own,? said Deborah Pacini Hern?ndez, the author of ?Oye Como Va! Hybridity and Identity in Latino Popular Music? and a professor of anthropology and American studies at Tufts University. She has tracked Mr. Santos?s career since he was in the boy band Aventura. ?Bachata is still about romance,? Ms. Pacini Hern?ndez said. ?It?s not that braggadocio, super hyper macho thing, and it connects to a world of dance,? typified by bachata festivals in Europe and Asia.

In contrast to stars like Ricky Martin, Marc Anthony, Enrique Iglesias, Jennifer Lopez and Shakira ? all of whom Mr. Santos cites as paving the way for his rise ? he has not pursued a crossover approach meant to expand his presence in the English-language mainstream. Though he sprinkles English phrases into many of his songs, and tends to speak in Spanglish when he is offstage, he has thus far refused to record an album in English, saying ?I believe in my culture, and I believe in my genre, because they are beautiful.?

Instead, he?s become a beacon for reverse crossover. English-language artists, aware of his popularity in one of the nation?s fastest-growing demographics ? young Hispanics ? are eager to collaborate. On his second solo album, ?The Formula, Vol. 2,? released in February and an instant hit, both Drake and Nicki Minaj gamely attempt to sing in Spanish: he on ?Odio,? or ?Hatred,? a track that also features Drake?s English-language rap, and she on ?Animales.? Mr. Santos? first solo record, released in 2011, featured tracks with Usher and Lil Wayne, but their collaborations were in English, not Spanish.

?This was another strategy of mine, to utilize artists like Drake,? said Mr. Santos, who was responding to a shout out from Drake on ?The Motto.? ?People were expecting we were going to do an R&B, but it was a bachata, and I think they were definitely not ready to hear him sing in Spanish nor rap on a bachata record. At first even he was saying, ?Don?t you think it?s kind of weird to have a rap beat in a bachata?? So I told him, ?Look, if there?s anyone who can get away with it, it?s me, so let?s try it.? ?

Mr. Santos is one of the relatively few Latin performers with the ability to bridge the traditional musical gap between Spanish speakers of Caribbean descent, most numerous on the East Coast, and Mexican-Americans and Central Americans, dominant elsewhere in the United States. On his current tour, he has sold out multiple nights at basketball arenas in Los Angeles and Houston, bastions of Mexican regional music.

?He?s just as big here as back East,? said DJ Eddie One, music director at KXOL-FM in Los Angeles, a top-rated Spanish-language pop station. ?In the past, bachata used to be seen as a traditional music, but he?s managed to make it fresh.?

He has done that in part by making bachata, despite its rural origins and lower-class associations in the Dominican Republic, equate to ?urban hipness and cosmopolitanism,? Ms. Pacini Hern?ndez said. Mr. Santos sings in a falsetto that comes straight out of a rhythm-and-blues tradition. He dresses sleekly and makes records that use the latest in studio technology to give his music polish.

Mr. Santos, the son of a Dominican father and a Puerto Rican mother, is a pure product of the Bronx, where some people still refer to him by his birth name, Anthony. He grew up in a multiracial and multiethnic environment, listening to rhythm and blues, rock and hip-hop as well as salsa and bachata, and attended P.S. 50 on Vyse Avenue (where family members still live) and Morris High School.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/11/a...romance-romeo-santos-is-a-true-superstar.html

Sep 4, 2012
Good for him, he's definetily an advocate for one of the many great things coming out of the DR and this fact proves just that. His fans (which are many by the millions every where in the USA and Latin America) love his performance. He was able to re-vive the bachata rythm and sell it to the masses.

The kid can sell, hell, someone whom can get Usher to sing along nevertheless Bachata is a heroe at his/her own merit. I'm not a fan of him as artist (don't believe he's got that great of talents), however, I do respect the fact that he's a great business man, has worked very hard and is now seeing the product of his hard work.

Well done Romeo!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
to say Pink Floyd couldn't sell out Yankee Stadium does not mean much, because they sold out the Rose Bowl two nights in a row, and that has seating for 90,000 plus. maybe it is just a demographics thing.

May 12, 2005
A friend of mine went to the concert last night. He had a lot of special guests. Fefita, Antony Santos, Luis Vargas, Tego Calderon and Bernie Williams.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Good for him, he's definetily an advocate for one of the many great things coming out of the DR and this fact proves just that. His fans (which are many by the millions every where in the USA and Latin America) love his performance. He was able to re-vive the bachata rythm and sell it to the masses.

The kid can sell, hell, someone whom can get Usher to sing along nevertheless Bachata is a heroe at his/her own merit. I'm not a fan of him as artist (don't believe he's got that great of talents), however, I do respect the fact that he's a great business man, has worked very hard and is now seeing the product of his hard work.

Well done Romeo!

Agreed that being popular and having talent are often vastly different things.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Had a curt debate w/my brother-in-law as to whether he would sell it out or not. My b-in-law was resolute that he wouldn't. I was sure he would from following his longevity in the genre. It's been one palo after another. Not easy to do in the music industry.

Good for you homeboy (BB).

Aug 6, 2012
I am impressed at what he has accomplish, the best part is that he still shows respect for the other artists. Not only did he bring on stage Dominicans like Fefita, Antony Santos and Luis Vargas, but Puerto Ricans like Tego Calderon, Mark Anthony and Bernie Williams, Black artist like Nikki and Drake, but most importantly the crew of Aventura and he quieted all those that said he would never perform with Prince Royce because he bought him out on stage and they performed admirably together.

Romeo, seems to be doing all the right steps, he apologize to the gay community for using a Dominican derogatory words that are so easily used in DR even among gay friends, performing with the biggest stars in different genres, proving that the stage is big enough for more than just two stars of Bachata and letting the past be the past.

Make no mistake Romeo also embodies the closet relationship between Dominicans and Puerto Ricans as he is from both Islands and for those that say Dominicans and PR hate each other. I grew up in the streets of NYC and I did not grow up that way, I was not thought to hate PR but instead to understand that they are our brothers and sisters not only in similarities in our cultures (because we are far more alike than different), but because the foundation we share from our Taino roots. My mother also thought me to respect other latinos because we might come from different Indian tribes and mixtures (Spaniards, Whites and Africans), but we share a commonality, the Spanish language. No matter our different dialytics we are Latinos and as Romeo, Prince Royce and others stated Long Live the Dominican Republic, Long Live Puerto Rico and Long Live all the Latinos del Mundo.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Perhaps he is a good business man but I don't think he is talented (voice).
All that glitters is not gold.
Our grandparents are neighbors and he is not well liked on their street mainly because
of the unsolicited attention he brings on himself while there (yes, unsolicited attention).
Henry does no such thing when he visits his grandparents.

May 12, 2005
Perhaps he is a good business man but I don't think he is talented (voice).
All that glitters is not gold.
Our grandparents are neighbors and he is not well liked on their street mainly because
of the unsolicited attention he brings on himself while there (yes, unsolicited attention).
Henry does no such thing when he visits his grandparents.

Probably because nobody knows who Henry is.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
Most Dominicans that listen to Bachata know Henry from the group Aventura.
His current single was the boarding music of choice on a flight to Spain I recently boarded.

That is why I emphasized unsolicited attention. Romeo makes sure the entire neighborhood
is disrupted with his arrival even though he could have slipped through to grandma's
house uneventfully.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
Let me make it easy for you. He has the talent. He writes and compose his own songs and music. In everything he does mediocracy is not an option, good for him.

Well done Romeo!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
A bunch of haters!!!!!!!!

Kudos to the gentlemen.

Tiny Tim was horrible yet people bought his song.........................................

[video=youtube;zcSlcNfThUA]x[/video]

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Those of us who've known bachata for over 40 years... call it batacha.

Inside joke, and gotta be from a Dominican barrio to get it.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Let's get a few things straight-

1) A certain percentage of those tickets were giveaways in the sections that didn't sell.

2) He could not have "sold out" Yankee Stadium without the help of all those special guests, just like his album. An artist that needs so many collaborators is an artist with limited and weak material. Two or three good songs and the rest was filler.

3) Bachata is for drunk Dominicans who don't have a romantic bone in their body, and for women who need to be lied to to do their duties in bed. They need to be told they're beautiful when they're not, and need to be told they're thin when they're overweight. I saw plenty of women dressed up those two nights in their finest hoochie-wear for the sole purpose of slobbering and creaming over some dude they'll never have, but refuse to do the same for their actual, real-life boyfriends.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Let's get a few things straight-

1) A certain percentage of those tickets were giveaways in the sections that didn't sell.

2) He could not have "sold out" Yankee Stadium without the help of all those special guests, just like his album. An artist that needs so many collaborators is an artist with limited and weak material. Two or three good songs and the rest was filler.

3) Bachata is for drunk Dominicans who don't have a romantic bone in their body, and for women who need to be lied to to do their duties in bed. They need to be told they're beautiful when they're not, and need to be told they're thin when they're overweight. I saw plenty of women dressed up those two nights in their finest hoochie-wear for the sole purpose of slobbering and creaming over some dude they'll never have, but refuse to do the same for their actual, real-life boyfriends.

i am glad that i did not have to say this, so thanks Berzin. when this guy makes a song that we will remember in 5 years, then i will give him credit as an artist.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sounds like I'm in the minority here, but I liked Aventura and I like Romeo on his own. He has a distinctive, sweet voice.

I'll take him over Omega ANY day of the week.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Sounds like I'm in the minority here, but I liked Aventura and I like Romeo on his own. He has a distinctive, sweet voice.

I'll take him over Omega ANY day of the week.

like everything else, it is a matter of taste. i have been in bars, and clubs, and heard songs by Omega which caused me to ask the dj for the name. later, when i was home, i searched for them on youtube, and listened to them, over and over. i have never heard anything from Romeo that i cared to know what the song was.