Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Infected with Ameba? Not curable?

What a Dominican refers to when stating she has an ameba (?) infection? And it is not curable?

I know what a ameba is but what illness could be caused by them.

Dorota, I am sure you can help me out?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caribmike View Post
    What a Dominican refers to when stating she has an ameba (?) infection? And it is not curable?

I know what a ameba is but what illness could be caused by them.

Dorota, I am sure you can help me out?
    Dysentery

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank god or whomever but I was told no symptoms like that. Rather feeling ill from time to time but not ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandDreaming View Post
    Dysentery

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Nah. She does not know any English And I could have sorted anything out in Spanish in case. Just have no clue to what sickness "Ameba" might refer.

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    Perhaps she is trying out her English? Ahh maybe!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Gastrointestinal Amebiasis - may or may not also be called dysentery - is treatable
    Naegleria fowleri - brain eating parasite - not treatable.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, but definitely not dysentery. The brain eating one is rather difficult to diagnose here I am afraid but sure this isn't the case too...

Quote Originally Posted by Cdn_Gringo View Post
    Gastrointestinal Amebiasis - may or may not also be called dysentery - is treatable
    Naegleria fowleri - brain eating parasite - not treatable.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think there are some Dominicans who use it to say a bacterial virus. I've heard it a few times before myself and was confused as well.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i guess dominicans refer to lots of intestinal parasite infections as amoeba. there are also many species of amoeba that cause amoebiasis. basically you get infected by injecting food and/or water contaminated with the feces of another carriers. their stool contains cysts that then develop in the intestines of an infected person.

because amoebas live off the "leftovers" passing the intestines they may happily stay there for a while and not cause any symptoms, even for years. they can, however damage intestinal walls, liver and even stomach cavity. treatments are not necessarily successful. full course of treatment can last close to a month. you just know that people here would not continue to take their medication for that long, seeing that you start to feel better within two days or so.

you could say that it is possible to get rid of amoebas completely but it takes dedication. in addition to this many get reinfected continuously, especially if they live in poor and dirty barrios where the risk of contamination of the water is high.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

That is what I am thinking to. Do you have an idea to what bacterial infection they might refer with it? She says it is from street food. First thought was salmonella, but it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by amp View Post
    I think there are some Dominicans who use it to say a bacterial virus. I've heard it a few times before myself and was confused as well.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

What would be needed? What medication? How a doctor can diagnose it? Blood test?

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    i guess dominicans refer to lots of intestinal parasite infections as amoeba. there are also many species of amoeba that cause amoebiasis. basically you get infected by injecting food and/or water contaminated with the feces of another carriers. their stool contains cysts that then develop in the intestines of an infected person.

because amoebas live off the "leftovers" passing the intestines they may happily stay there for a while and not cause any symptoms, even for years. they can, however damage intestinal walls, liver and even stomach cavity. treatments are not necessarily successful. full course of treatment can last close to a month. you just know that people here would not continue to take their medication for that long, seeing that you start to feel better within two days or so.

you could say that it is possible to get rid of amoebas completely but it takes dedication. in addition to this many get reinfected continuously, especially if they live in poor and dirty barrios where the risk of contamination of the water is high.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast