Newbie on the block

M

motoguzzibob

Hi everyone,
Not am I only new to the forum but I have never even been to the Dominican Republic. I'm from the UK and retired last year. I spent last winter in SE Asia - mainly Thailand where I had a great time and established some excellent expat contacts. However, I'm always looking at possibilities and DR was mentioned by someone who, as it turned out, knew little more than me!
This forum seems a good place to start. I don't even know the best places to spend time in. I've already read a lot of negative things about retirees and the opposite sex. I'm not looking for relationships, just want to make friends and have some fun. I am looking to get information on cost of living based on long stay accommodation and how to go about getting established. Maybe, you may suggest to book a months holiday, which seems like a good idea, however, I don't know what place to stay in and I don't think travelling around too much would give me the real feel for a town/ city which I would prefer to be by the sea. So maybe 2 or 3 "hotspots" and a few weeks in each?
I have read that $1500 US is more than enough to have a good lifestyle. Is that correct - obviously depends on what one gets up to?
Any help would be appreciated - maybe I could be redirected to DR beginner's post or websites?
Thanks

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Welcome. You will enjoy it here. I personally like Jarabacoa for the mountains. But I live in a small town for work related reasons. You can rent (in my town) a nice two bedroom apartment for 8,000 which includes stolen electricity. So yes, you can live on 1500, but it depends where. good luck.

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
Welcome aboard!! You definetly came to the right place for information. So many good people here with a vast knowledge of the island. Just ask away.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Welcome to DR1!

I've attached a link to a thread that will hopefully be helpful. It's long, but should give you a sense of what your money will buy you in different parts of the country.

http://dr1.com/forums/living/112283-living-costs-dominican-republic.html

Personally, if your tastes involving making lots of new chica-friends, I'd consider adding substantially to your budget. Unless you're in the VERY non-touristy campo/countryside, or own your house outright, $1,500 is a pretty slim budget.

Best of luck, have fun and be safe!

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
$1,500 will buy you a life of misery here. $2000 a little better. $3000 you can eat out a few times a week. $5000 you are the man. All depends if you are going to act and live like a degenerate or play golf and drink top shelf and sleep with upper scale Chicas.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
$1,500 will buy you a life of misery here. $2000 a little better. $3000 you can eat out a few times a week. $5000 you are the man. All depends if you are going to act and live like a degenerate or play golf and drink top shelf and sleep with upper scale Chicas.

Woah !! Were do you live to spend that kind of money ??? Sh*t, you don't come cheap.... I'm sure anybody can live very nicely with 1500$ a month..... Unless you want to live like a king, but that kind of life will mostly attract attention and not all good surprises....

It's not everybody that comes here to live like in North America.... Some of us came here for a simpler life... What's the point of leaving North America if you replicate your former living conditions ?? Should have stayed where you were...

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Woah !! Were do you live to spend that kind of money ??? Sh*t, you don't come cheap.... I'm sure anybody can live very nicely with 1500$ a month..... Unless you want to live like a king, but that kind of life will mostly attract attention and not all good surprises....

It's not everybody that comes here to live like in North America.... Some of us came here for a simpler life... What's the point of leaving North America if you replicate your former living conditions ?? Should have stayed where you were...

You know you can also have a simpler life in the USA if you wish a Simpler life!

And will you be happy with a simpler life by living in a bad barrio in a wooden shack with 20 of your boyfriends relatives who all want your money? Everyday Rice and beans and platano?

sosuamatt

Bronze
Jul 29, 2013
Welcome to DR1. Before you set a budget you should decide what you need and what you want. This is not Thailand.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi everyone,
Not am I only new to the forum but I have never even been to the Dominican Republic. I'm from the UK and retired last year. I spent last winter in SE Asia - mainly Thailand where I had a great time and established some excellent expat contacts. However, I'm always looking at possibilities and DR was mentioned by someone who, as it turned out, knew little more than me!
This forum seems a good place to start. I don't even know the best places to spend time in. I've already read a lot of negative things about retirees and the opposite sex. I'm not looking for relationships, just want to make friends and have some fun. I am looking to get information on cost of living based on long stay accommodation and how to go about getting established. Maybe, you may suggest to book a months holiday, which seems like a good idea, however, I don't know what place to stay in and I don't think travelling around too much would give me the real feel for a town/ city which I would prefer to be by the sea. So maybe 2 or 3 "hotspots" and a few weeks in each?
I have read that $1500 US is more than enough to have a good lifestyle. Is that correct - obviously depends on what one gets up to?
Any help would be appreciated - maybe I could be redirected to DR beginner's post or websites?
Thanks

This is not SE Asia. Cost of living in the DR is really not cheap. Although the exchange rate is very favorable the prices on many things are "Americanized" Local products are reasonable but imports of any kind are expensive. $1500 a month is doable for a single guy. Since you are not familiar with the DR I would say a month here would give you a good feel for the country. I would suggest Las Terrenas on the Samana Peninsual. If you look at a map it is located on the NE Coast on the Atlantic side. There are many Europeans here. There is also an airport 30 minutes away. El Catey (AZS). This is a beach community, laid back but with a real world feel. Google Las Terrenas and you will find a lot of info. I would suggest checking out Hotel, Residence El Paseo. This is a very good location, with security and fairly reasonable. For a month would probably be between $450-550usds.Yes you can probably find cheaper digs but not with this location and remember security is very important for a gringo in the DR. Good luck.