Stunned in Manabao

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
23km beyond Jarabacoa, Manabao is about as close to Pico Duarte as one can get on paved roads in the Cordillera Central. Mountanous, cool and very hilly, most houses are made of wood since there is a plentiful supply close by. We ride motorcycles there on tour often because it's such an incredible place.

We had a meeting with a project sponsor at his Manabao get-away yesterday. I was told the location was unusual-but that's a difficult term to define within the Dominican vernacular. We weren't prepared for what we experienced.

His "getaway" from Santo Domingo is a 12-year work-in-progress straight from the Mediterranean Renaissance, inspired by Altos de Chavon. Not surprising because he sold his Casa de Campo place for this.

Take a look. Good thing I had a cellphone with camera/video.

Coming up his 1.5km driveway, almost straight up:
Otto5_zps1d69af32.jpg

The back, which is really the main area. This will eventually be the guest house:
Otto2_zps89352a46.jpg

Otto6_zpsc7c45c96.jpg

Where his 1-cyl diesel powerplant lives. Between the solar panels & planta (1gal=10hrs) and mountain water, he's totally off the grid.
Otto4_zps0c086afc.jpg

The terraces, looking up an the main house he's been building, literally a church recreation:
Otto1_zpse9c79dfc.jpg

Otto3_zpse76be8a4.jpg

Overlooking from the upper terraces at Alida:
Otto8_zps78b2b7bf.jpg

Tough place to meet with wine, cheese & coffee:cheeky::
Otto7_zps9307cc93.jpg

[video=youtube;k7cYkAbwLto]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7cYkAbwLto&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Except for the kitchen-which is completely modern industrial kitchen since cooking is a passion, there isn't one piece of "modern" construction I could find. The house is furnished with nothing but large, very old antiques. He had some old church bells that are destined for the main residence.

It would fit right in with Altos de Chavon.

Very interesting and unexpected, indeed...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I love it.....

I'm aiming for that type of feel at the new property.....

feeling like a ruin - reincarnated....rising from the remains.... all old, but modern underpinnings

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Nice of you to share with us with who and where you rub elbows with.
I imagine the owner doesn't mind his property and the location known?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
23km beyond Jarabacoa, Manabao is about as close to Pico Duarte as one can get on paved roads in the Cordillera Central. Mountanous, cool and very hilly, most houses are made of wood since there is a plentiful supply close by. We ride motorcycles there on tour often because it's such an incredible place.

We had a meeting with a project sponsor at his Manabao get-away yesterday. I was told the location was unusual-but that's a difficult term to define within the Dominican vernacular. We weren't prepared for what we experienced.

His "getaway" from Santo Domingo is a 12-year work-in-progress straight from the Mediterranean Renaissance, inspired by Altos de Chavon. Not surprising because he sold his Casa de Campo place for this.

Take a look. Good thing I had a cellphone with camera/video.

Coming up his 1.5km driveway, almost straight up:
Otto5_zps1d69af32.jpg

The back, which is really the main area. This will eventually be the guest house:
Otto2_zps89352a46.jpg

Otto6_zpsc7c45c96.jpg

Where his 1-cyl diesel powerplant lives. Between the solar panels & planta (1gal=10hrs) and mountain water, he's totally off the grid.
Otto4_zps0c086afc.jpg

The terraces, looking up an the main house he's been building, literally a church recreation:
Otto1_zpse9c79dfc.jpg

Otto3_zpse76be8a4.jpg

Overlooking from the upper terraces at Alida:
Otto8_zps78b2b7bf.jpg

Tough place to meet with wine, cheese & coffee:cheeky::
Otto7_zps9307cc93.jpg

[video=youtube;k7cYkAbwLto]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7cYkAbwLto&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Except for the kitchen-which is completely modern industrial kitchen since cooking is a passion, there isn't one piece of "modern" construction I could find. The house is furnished with nothing but large, very old antiques. He had some old church bells that are destined for the main residence.

It would fit right in with Altos de Chavon.

Very interesting and unexpected, indeed...

Wow. Incredible!!!!!!!!! What did you say this gentleman did to acquire this wealth???

Aug 6, 2006
That is one really cool place! It blends European architecture with tropical greenery perfectly. Perhaps a bit of ivy might be nice, though. I like ivy.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
It IS Beautiful, BUT, 10 hours of diesel run time from 1 gallon, NO WAY JOSE!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
1 cyl. Yanmar slow-run diesel running a 5k genset.

It's a hybrid system-charges batteries and not household needs-that only runs when batteries need charging, mainly at night or when the solar array is not optimum-so I can see how his figures *might* be accurate. His "10 hours"="one night", not "10 hours run time" so it's possible.