Measuring Output Voltages of Invertors? Tech/Math Question

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
This has been a bit of a puzzle and is really for the Tech/Maths minded people.
Measuring A/C voltages with a conventional A/C voltmeter gives you the RMS voltage -Root Mean Square and this assumes a Sine Wave.

Invertors generally give out a stepped square wave - two or three steps. What is the correction factor on what you would read on a RMS voltmeter to get the "SAME" ?

We usually set Stepped Squarewave invertor to read 110 V A/C on an RMS voltmeter but if you switch from street to invertor incandecent lights get brighter. Street Voltage is 120 V A/C measured with the same voltmeter.

Cant find this googling it - any ideas/formulas, correction factors?

Olly and the Team

donP

Dec 14, 2008
True Sinus VAC

My simple volt meter gives me 194 VAC, whereas my panel meter says 230 VAC.
However, the factor 1.1856 does not corelate with the 93/115 VAC reading when measuring the "110V system".

From this I deduct that the voltage range has to be considered, too and a simple multiplying factor cannot be applied.

But maybe this helps:
http://www.wikihow.com/Calculate-RMS

donP

Last edited:

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
If I recall from my apprenticeship days (which was over 25 years ago), multiply the peak voltage by 0.707 to get equivalent "DC heating effect" of AC. But that's on a pure sine wave.

You would need an oscilloscope to see what waveform your inverter puts out and do an area rule percentage calculation.