Looking for electric stimulation and ultrasound machines for physical therapy...

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
I was wondering if anyone knew if and where I could pick up these two devices, the type used for physical therapy for specific orthopedic injuries in doctor's offices and to treat professional athletes.

I can't get them here in the states unless I'm a licensed physician or physical therapist, but I need to use them at home. The reasoning is if they pay some tuza immigrant who doesn't speak English minimum wage to administer substandard physical therapy for a whole five minutes, I can just as easily do it at home without the hassle of feeling like I am getting the bum's rush because they have to push another patient in and out of the door. This does the healing process no good, and I'm sick and tired of it.

I would need the best models I could get my hands on if the prices are right.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
The TENS machine (electric stimulation) can be prescribed by a doctor. A friend injured her neck in an auto accident and ended up needing a TENS machine, which was readily available by prescription.

Jan 17, 2009
There are some over-the-counter TENS machines in the US now. I saw an ad on TV and several on Amazon. I too got one prescribed by a doctor many years ago. At the time (2006) it cost my insurance $650. It didn't work for me and gave it away.

Just took a look at Ebay. Lots of them and they look more like the units that physiotherapist use.

tommeyers

On Vacation!
Jan 2, 2012
I live in Santiago
Oh Oh. This is not starting well. Where are you located maybe someone can recommend a PT. Is an appendectomy next.

The person you are working with may be as pt assistant but the pt usually design the treatm not, directs the activities and monitors progress. You may have the skills of the pta but don't eliminate the pt.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Tommeyers-I'm eliminating the PT. PT's are like far too many chiropractors and dermatologists in the US. They treat young, athletic people like geriatric patients just to keep juicing the insurance companies for more and more visits. In the end you waste precious time attending sessions and you don't get any better because the treatments aren't aggressive enough.

As an example, I don't need two years worth of bi-weekly chiropractic visits at $85 a pop (out-of-pocket) to straighten out my spinal and hip issues. I could do with a more aggressive approach that would improve the situation in a matter of months. But noooooo...

Plus there is yoga and physical therapy I can do at home that has never been incorporated in any program I've ever gotten from a chiropractor or PT. I've had to research all of this myself. Same thing with dermatologists. I received the medication I needed only once, and that was because my symptoms were so bad I couldn't go to work. It took the situation getting that drastic for them to get on the ball.

Every skin doctor I went to said I don't need such a strong medication. I always wound up being prescribed garbage that was just strong enough to keep me from going completely insane. When I discovered what really helped, it was (yet again) medication from the DR which I self-administer.

The only problem is getting it when I don't have a chance to travel. Thanks to some DR1 peeps helping me out with this-you know who you are-I not only improved my quality of life drastically, but a year's supply (if I can find a pharmacy that sells it at a good price) costs less than a month's supply if purchased it here in the US. It turns out that it was an endocrine issue which was caught by my oncologist. Go figure. Years of suffering that could have been avoided.

Sometimes you have to take the bull by the horns and do things in an seemingly unconventional manner to get results.

The TENS machine (electric stimulation) can be prescribed by a doctor. A friend injured her neck in an auto accident and ended up needing a TENS machine, which was readily available by prescription.

Could you find out the cost and post it? I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited:

Uptrend

Mar 8, 2009
Looked today at two designs of stimulus devices, on 41 dollars.For a limited time buy one get another half price.another 29 dollars.Again ,Walgrens, . On 08/18 2014

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
Could you find out the cost and post it? I'd really appreciate it.

Berzin, her machine was paid for by no-fault auto insurance. She has no idea of the cost. I did a little research and found that machines prescribed by physicians range from $200 to $800.

These links might help:

TENS Unit for Pain

TENS

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
La Profe_1-I assumed yopur friend had purchased the machine in the DR. I know how much they cost here in the states, but the reason I'm considering getting these machines in the DR is not one of my doctors want to give me a prescription for one because that means they will lose a client.

If I need a prescription for one in the DR, that is something I can do when I get over there. I was just wondering what they cost in pesos so I have an idea what I'm looking at in terms of expense.

La Profe_1

Oct 15, 2003
La Profe_1-I assumed yopur friend had purchased the machine in the DR. I know how much they cost here in the states, but the reason I'm considering getting these machines in the DR is not one of my doctors want to give me a prescription for one because that means they will lose a client.

If I need a prescription for one in the DR, that is something I can do when I get over there. I was just wondering what they cost in pesos so I have an idea what I'm looking at in terms of expense.

I will be in Puerto Plata after the beginning of October. The orthopedist who treated me would be easy to get in to see if you need a prescription. I might suggest that you call the PT group I saw for therapy when I broke my shoulder this spring. You could ask them about a vendor and possible prices of both items. They have them, I am certain, because both were used on me.

Call IRO (Instituto Rehabilitaci?n y Ortopedia) in Puerto Plata. The phone number is 809-261-4805.