Proof of employment in order to sponsor to Canada

cosmok

Jan 29, 2014
So I am starting the long process of sponsoring my wife to come Canada. One of the supporting documents I have to provide is "proof of income." I have been a self-employed consultant for the last 15-years. Has anyone had experience with this? What document should I provide that shows I am self-employed?

It is a bit overwhelming at this point but I am going to take it one step at a time.

So I am starting the long process of sponsoring my wife to come Canada. One of the supporting documents I have to provide is "proof of income." I have been a self-employed consultant for the last 15-years. Has anyone had experience with this? What document should I provide that shows I am self-employed?

It is a bit overwhelming at this point but I am going to take it one step at a time.

Man I don't envy you, good luck with the process! Canada can be MEAN!

cosmok

Jan 29, 2014
I do have tax returns but they want proof of income and employment "for the 12 months preceding the date of your sponsorship." My last tax return is from 2013 and doesn't show my income for this year. They want a "statement of business activities." Whatever that is?

I am finding out that it isn't easy to immigrate to Canada as everyone thinks. How did we end up with so many immigrants? I have a friend from Guatemala who brought over 6 brothers and 2 sets of parents (his parents were remarried.) I should ask him how he managed that.

kaykat18987

Nov 25, 2013
this is as of august 1st 2014

Prerequisites for sponsorship

You must satisfy all of the following requirements, in addition to any specific requirements that apply.
• You must have fulfilled all previous commitments. If the Minist?re de l’Emploi et de la Solidarit? sociale (MESS) determines that you have defaulted, you must have repaid all of the amounts paid as financial assistance of last resort (social assistance) or special allowances to the person you sponsored.
• You must not receive financial assistance of last resort (social assistance) except allowances related to your age or a disability that poses obstacles to employment that are serious, permanent or of indefinite duration.
• Over the past five years, you must have complied with obligations arising from a judgment ordering you to pay alimony. If not, you must have repaid all outstanding amounts.
• You must not have been convicted, in Canada or abroad, of a sexual offence, attempt or threat to commit such an offence against anyone or an offence resulting in personal injuries, or an attempt or threat to commit such an offence against a family member or relative, your spouse, common-law spouse or conjugal partner or a member of their family or relative unless you were acquitted or rehabilitated or finished serving your sentence at least five years before submitting your application.
• If you sponsor your father, mother, grandfather, grandmother, a dependent child who has a child or a close relative who is a minor and an orphan, you must prove that you have at your disposal sufficient financial resources for the duration of the undertaking (see financial standards).
• You must not be subject to a removal order or detained in a penitentiary or prison.
• You may not sponsor a spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner who is under 16 years of age.
• You must ensure that the sponsored person, if he or she is of legal age, signs the declaration attesting that he or she fully understands the nature and scope of the undertaking.

the only one that takes about having money is if you sponsor other people tan your spouse..

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

Hi, on page 2 of this link you'll find what you will need to show your income. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5443E.pdf

For this year you can show on paper what your monthly income has been so far and also your expenses. I would send a copy of last year's income tax return because it will show on page 1 that you are self-employed.

You can also get help from other spouses that have gone through this on Facebook. I will send you a pm with the name.

Good luck

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013

Are you trying to say that you've never reported your income? If you have no other financial docs in your possession, you should have your returns. Consultant??????? What do you consult on?

But even if you haven't, start right now for the last couple or three years. Use the copies to get your girl even while Canadian IRS is evaluating you're situation.

Mar 5, 2014
I am in the same situation and looking for a lawyer to do this for me
If you could make a recommendation, it would be very much appreciated
marklukacko.at.gmail.com

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

Everything you'll need is here Sponsor your spouse, partner or children.

If you are sponsoring a spouse get the application, read it over, look at the check list in the link I posted above. You can take the application to any multicultural centre and they'll help you out.

You don't need a lawyer but if you think it's too much for you then hire a lawyer in Canada where you live.

Last edited:

cosmok

Jan 29, 2014
Thank you AnnaC, this document is very useful! I wasn't checking back here because I thought this thread was closed. I am glad I came back.

Hi, on page 2 of this link you'll find what you will need to show your income. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5443E.pdf

For this year you can show on paper what your monthly income has been so far and also your expenses. I would send a copy of last year's income tax return because it will show on page 1 that you are self-employed.

You can also get help from other spouses that have gone through this on Facebook. I will send you a pm with the name.

Good luck

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

You are starting what most call "an almost impossible grueling process". I would highly suggest you take a look at VisaJourney - Your Immigration Community and enlist the help of other Canadians that have gone through this process with a Dominican SO. ( I know the link says US, but its for every country).

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
Canada can be hard I tried to take my wife to Canada just for a visit. We have two children with dual citizenship Ca/Do they refused her the reason she did not have history of leaving the country and returning. There was 40 people who applied that day and all where refused. I wish anyone luck

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
brought wife first then three kids to US. Wife was easy as we were in DR. Kids were a nightmare as we did it from the US. Many people give up and fall into the claws of the immigration blood sucking lawyers. Takes a lot of patience if you do it yourself.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Enlisting the services of an attorney for immigration purposes is not necessary and usually causes more difficulties than if you go through the process yourself. There are many online boards and support full of information to assist a person through the process free of charge.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Canada can be hard I tried to take my wife to Canada just for a visit. We have two children with dual citizenship Ca/Do they refused her the reason she did not have history of leaving the country and returning. There was 40 people who applied that day and all where refused. I wish anyone luck

When a spouse of a well established, solvent Canadian citizen is refused a TRV and is denied the right to visit and be with the spouse , there is something wrong with the immigration policy.
The simple fact is, that the Canadian government discriminates against Dominicans simply on the basis of their citizenship. A Canadian spouse with assets and a paid return ticket are of no consideration.
At least Winnipeg has a new human rights museum at the cost of $351 million, whereas there is no right to visit your spouse or be with your spouse in modern Canada, if you are Dominican.
Oh Canada
The spousal immigration process is gruelling, lengthy and costly. If your relationship survives this test, it must be real love!:classic: