How is it to lend money to poeple?
Is it legal?

For exemple, I lend you 1000
And give me 1200 back in a week...

:)

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Every work environment has a person who people go to for loans, he takes their debit card from them and then goes and takes the amount payable from their account at the ATM on pay day before returning the debit card to them.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
lending money is a good business but not an easy one. if you want to play this game have a good lawyer to draft the contracts and take something as a collateral. don't bother with small amounts thou, not worth the effort.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I think you have to belong to some sort of association or be registered by the govt or the police can't enforce collection legally.It is a great business if
A. if you want you house torched ( a friend of mine had his torched when they more or less couldn't pay the money back).
B If you can enforce the collection and put people out of their homes , or want to
C if Value your life
d if you like to sleep peacefully at night

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I would think it could be a dangerous business here...

it depends. i have a good friend who lends money. he is Dominican. it is not dangerous for him. it is dangerous for guys who want to stiff him. however, no foreigner is in a position to employ his methods to collect their money.

BarAndGrillGuy

Jul 23, 2014
Are you looking at getting into the loan shark business ?.Or are you looking at recouping a loan you gave out ?.You are not clear on your objectives.....

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I know 2 Dominicans in the business. One got shot at the other was stabbed by a debtor. It is dangerous for Dominican lenders too.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
I would think it could be a dangerous business here...

Everyone lives on credit in DR. Everyone is borrowing money towards day 10 just to get through. This is why the inhouse loanshark in every business is a good one. They will loan out small amounts with a guarantee of collecting as they have the debit card and are there at the ATM machine every payday, with a bunch of cards for sometimes an hour, collecting. Small inhouse loansharking is good easy money. No contracts, no big money, no broken bones, no problems.
I'd say large amounts is a massive headache and certainly not for the 'shy', or average unhardened gringo!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it depends. i have a good friend who lends money. he is Dominican. it is not dangerous for him. it is dangerous for guys who want to stiff him. however, no foreigner is in a position to employ his methods to collect their money.

i know several dominicans in this line of business. they all have armed security. but they are not particularly scared as such, it's more that this kind of act is expected of them.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009

A guy collecting is more likely to get shot than the person who he is collecting from.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
A guy collecting is more likely to get shot than the person who he is collecting from.

depends on who the guy is. i won't say who my friend is, but guys know better than to try crap with him, or any of his collectors. let's just say they know his rep.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
One Swiss guy I knew years ago was pretty much successful with it. But he was staying in the background. His money but family of his Dominican wife did the lending and collecting etc.

Aug 6, 2006
What name is this occupation given in the DR?
In the US they are loan sharks.
In Cuba the term was garrotero.

In the US this trade is being taken over by payday lenders- storefront usurers that can stick you for up to 20% a month.