Art Classes Popular At Casa de Arte

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

The Culture House (Casa de Arte) Sos?a is bursting at the seams for all the cultural activities.

There are regular art exhibitions, book discussions with authors, lectures and musical performances. Furthermore, every afternoon and evening different courses are given. These are sculpting and painting classes. Also a large group of musicians rehearses every week on string instruments like the violin, viola, cello and double bass. Recently, Adolfo Faringthon the director of Casa de Arte and also a visual artist, started a drawing course for young people. There is obviously a lot of interest among the youth to drawing lessons for Adolfo even has a waiting list for not having enough room for all youngsters interested.

Aug 21, 2007
It's is really a great project! Stop in for a visit. See the facility and learn about all the great things going on. Perla, the receptionist will give you the "cook's tour."

My group, Strength for the Journey, is doing something similar on a smaller scale on the other side of town. (We are not funded by government $$, though,.....we rely on volunteers and donations.) However, we offer arts and crafts, guitar and bongo group classes (we have the instruments,) group singing lessons, homework help sessions 4 times a week, and iPad and mobile device education.

We are making arrangements to add ballet classes and are looking into self-defense (sort of like karate) for kids. And we still are looking for a Spanish speaker who will volunteer to do story hour for pre-schoolers.

As at the Casa de Arte, everything is offered at no cost to participants. Our objective is primarily to give alternative educational opportunities to low income children. My understanding is that the Casa de Arte's offerings are all full. Our classes also fill up, but we do our best to accommodate all children who are sincerely interested.

Sosua families and children want to take advantage of these opportunities to grow and learn. I hope you will support both endeavors.

~ Lindsey