Loco y Medio (Crazy and a Half)

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Recently, in two different municipalities, I witnessed men speaking loudly out into the public with one hand to an ear as if they were speaking into a cell phone. The only problem was that there was no cell phone. I thought this something of a unique phenomenon (I'd seen people preaching/talking to no one in public, but not w/a virtual cell phone). I asked a friend about this and she emailed me the following:

TYPES OF CRAZY DOMINICANS (DOMINICANOS LOCOS)

*EL LOCO MANSO* “THE MEEK CRAZY” - Is one that does not mess with anyone, but if you f*** with him/her they’re capable of cutting anyone’s head off.

*EL LOCO VIEJO* "THE OLD CRAZY” – It's a kind of crazy that abounds in the DR. This loco is always seen in street corners betting on ballgames but has never played or gone to see a game.

*MALDITO LOCO* “DAMNED CRAZY” - This is usually the public taxi driver (chofer de carro public) or motorcycle taxi driver (motoconchista). They are feared more than any other kind of loco for how they drive.

*EL LOQUITO ESE* “THE YOUNG (LITTLE) CRAZY” – He is the most hated by the mothers of the neighborhood. “Be careful with ‘el loquito ese’” mothers tell their daughters when they see him passing by, always with a magazine under the arm and/or carrying a suspicious looking bag.

*EL ALOQUETIAO* “THE CAPRICIOUS (UNPREDICTABLE) CRAZY” - He is a type of loco that changes quickly. He can be heard making logical conversation, but then suddenly shifts gears (bota la tercera) and starts talking nonsense. He neither respects parents nor the police.

*EL LOCO DEL DIABLO* “THE DEVIL’S CRAZY” – He is the only one who is loco loco (mad crazy). He will follow the first one he sees, with a broken bottle in hand, and continues to follow them down the street until you have to say: “But look here you devil crazy (Pero ven aca, loco del diablo).”

*EL LOCO 'E LA MIERDA* “THE SH**/SH**TY CRAZY” - A crazy fool. He/she abounds in the markets and Independence Park (Parque Independencia). They throw trash at people if they do not give them money. They are harmless, but they f*** w/you to the point that you have to remind them that they are “UN LOCO 'E LA MIERDA.”

*EL QUE ES COMO LOCO* “PRESUMED CRAZY” - This guy is not crazy, but is presumed to be. He is the son of the owner of the grocery store and when he is aiding the female customers he grabs their butts. He fights with anyone and when he eats meals w/the family he is served separately .

*EL GALLO LOCO* “CRAZY ROOSTER” - This guy is not crazy either, but talks a lot of s*** and can be heard talking politics and baseball to the point to make you dizzy., This guy is always getting into everything and everyone’s business and this way always knows all the gossip before it happens. And for this reason people listen to him.

*LOCO DEL CARAJO* “CRAZY ****” – This guy is the wannabe gangster (wannabe tiguere) that makes you uncomfortable. He is the one you want to do damage for something they did to you, but you do not want to wind up in jail so you reconcile by saying that you’re going to back off because this “tiguere” is crazy.

*UN MALDITO LOCO* “A DAMN CRAZY” – Different from “MALDITO LOCO,” This is one who has no career, yet has two homes, a car, and ranch land. They call themselves engineers and support their whole family. They talk loudly, drink a lot of rum, and love to flaunt money. Almost always when they leave, someone says about them: “He is without a doubt a damn crazy fool (ese si es un maldito loco).”

In another conversation I then asked her what type of crazy were the cell phone guys and her impromptu response was "Loco y Medio."

After a laugh I asked if Dominicans knew the difference between the types of locos listed, i.e., would they correctly align loco behavior with the names described above? Surprisingly she responded yes. Does anyone have a sense that this is true. It seems a bit much.

Last edited: