News From The Street

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm friendly with the fellow who sits in his wheelchair in front of the Sosua farmacia and chat with him almost daily while I am out and about. I find him to be a good source of information. When we talked today:

1. He said that there is now a completely new contingent of AMET officers in Sosua. The previous were shipped out because they were abusing the public by demanding money for any reason they could think of.

2. The soldiers who are often seen "patrolling" the street will now carry clubs rather than shotguns and assault rifles.

3. He was also excited about Armando being picked up and taken to Santo Domingo, but that is already the subject of another thread.

DRsantos

Sep 17, 2012
I hope so because this AMET in Sosua is unbelievable, last week while visiting got stopped, the officier telling me i was driving threw red light and didn't had my seatbelt on, the seatbelt part was true but the red light was absolutely a lie from him. When i told him that he started to raise his voice and asking me if i said he is a liar and bla bla some more crap. Didn't want to make things more difficult, they wanted to take my car with them , i told theem i absolutely need the car so he friendly accepted if i paid him cash.. What a joke, they got to kick them all out, all with all was not a nice visit to sosua.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Another Visit?

I hope so because this AMET in Sosua is unbelievable, last week while visiting got stopped, the officier telling me i was driving to red light and didn't have seatbelt, the seatbelt part was truebut the red light was absolutely a lie from him. When i told him that he started to raise his voice and asking me if i said he is a liar. Didn't want to make things more difficult, they wanted to taje my car with them , i told tgem i absolutely need the car so he friendly accepted if i paid him cash.. What a joke, they got to kick them all out, all with all was bot a nice visit to sosua.

Will you visit Sos?a again?

donP

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Good news as the old AMET only demanded money for one reason and that was because they could. What will be the reason for the NEW AMET to demand money? Come on Ken, you know, share it

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I hope so because this AMET in Sosua is unbelievable, last week while visiting got stopped, the officier telling me i was driving threw red light and didn't had my seatbelt on, the seatbelt part was true but the red light was absolutely a lie from him.

so you broke the law and you are complaining about amet?

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Me neither, 12 years here in Sosua and not once asked for money. Respect them, smile and be polite and you usually receive the same service.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I have been told that they had no bullets in those guns, and if so they were worth less than clubs.

I am not sure about the semi automatics, but the shot guns definitely have shells in them, I see them loading them each time they change shift and unloading at the end of their shift whilst sitting in front of the banca opposite our office. I always quiver a bit when they are taking them out, one wrong move....ay ay ay!

Fredo

Mar 17, 2013
Never had a problem with Amet... always gave them rides when I saw them on the side of the road...

Seems to be the luck of the draw with Amet, I've never had any problems but I would not call getting caught with no seat belt really a problem. You gotta pay up for that. I don't even remember the last time they pulled me over in Sosua, maybe before I lived here?
I got pulled over for not having a helmet last month in Cabarete which would be MY fault not Amet's. The first guy wanted me to get off my bike and take it somewhere. I refused to get off so he rode b*tch to the hiding place where they were hiding all the confiscated bikes. They would not take a bribe till the wife came in the car to pick me up and talked to them.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Refused a bribe has gotta be a first. What is happening to this country? That's downright undominican of them.