New US Consulate and New Consul General

hichek

Feb 28, 2013
Hey guys,

wanted to ask you if any of you has visited the new US consulate in Ave. Rep. de Colombia? has anything changed at all? do they keep rejecting lots of applicants as before, or is the new consul general more flexible? as you know consul generals are the ones that set the guidelines, they decide to focus either on customer service, fraud prevention, or efficiency. I heard Sylvia used to work in the mexico city consulate.

For those that have been to the consulate a couple times have you seen new faces, I mean different vice-consuls or the same faces as before.

Below an article about fraud cases by applicants and vice-consuls in the DR. quite interesting.

When Visa Officers Went Bad | Association for Diplomatic Studies and Training

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Hey guys,

wanted to ask you if any of you has visited the new US consulate in Ave. Rep. de Colombia? has anything changed at all? do they keep rejecting lots of applicants as before, or is the new consul general more flexible? as you know consul generals are the ones that set the guidelines, they decide to focus either on customer service, fraud prevention, or efficiency. I heard Sylvia used to work in the mexico city consulate.

For those that have been to the consulate a couple times have you seen new faces, I mean different vice-consuls or the same faces as before.

Below an article about fraud cases by applicants and vice-consuls in the DR. quite interesting.

When Visa Officers Went Bad | Association for Diplomatic Studies and Training

There was a Haitian gentleman who was both a medical doctor and a minister and he had a letter that he was going to a conference of Methodist ministers in Illinois somewhere. I thought well, he looks like a high-class gentleman. So I gave him a visa and about three or four weeks later my supervisor called me over. At that time we had no computerized name checks. We had microfiches with names of people on a watch list, but they were always months out of date. There was no way to telephone from the Dominican Republic to Haiti. So I gave this fellow a visa. I thought, medical doctor, minister going to a religious conference in the U.S., fine.

About four weeks later my supervisor called me to his office and he said, ?Did you give a visa to a Haitian named Roger Lafontant?? I said, ?Yes.? He said, ?Oh. Well, he?s the head of the Ton-ton Macoutes. He went to Miami, bought a boatload of guns and came back and was involved in an aborted coup.? I said, ?Oh.? He said, ?The next time you get a Haitian applicant, would you check with me first?? I said, ?Sure, I can do that.?

John Allen Cushing consular officer in the Dominican Republic from 1988 to 1990