BALTIMORE EGGNOG

2 cups of sugar
12 eggs, separated
1 pint brandy
? pint light rum (I prefer 151)
? pint peach brandy
3 pints milk (I used whole milk)
1 pint heavy cream
Nutmeg ( I also added some grated cinnamon)

Beat the egg yolks and sugar together until thick. Slowly stir in the brandy, rum, peach brandy, milk and cream. Refrigerate until thoroughly chilled and pour into a punch bowl. Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold gently into the eggnog. Grate a little nutmeg on top and serve in 4-ounce punch glasses.

Unless you like eggnog that has alcohol vapors coming out of your nose, you'll want to boost the milk or cream in this or cut back on that whole pint of brandy. This year I think I will substitute Bermudez Blanco or Barcelo Blanco for the 151? firewater...
enjoy,

HB

L

Lyse

6 eggs, 16 ounces milk, 16 ounces cream 35%, 16 ounces canadian rye whisky, 1 ounce rhum, 2 ounces sugar, nutmeg on top

E

El Jefecito

Go down to my local super buy a Quart of any eggnog, add 1 qt. good rum, wake up in a week

P

Pib

Used to be...

I used to be a big fan of eggnog, quit it when I found out my hourglass figure was starting to get a little too late. [sigh], another of those things that are good but illegal, inmoral or fattening. I will stick with the inmoral...

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: I just tried pancakes with raisins

This morning I added raisins to my pancake mix and they turned out to be delicious. WOW Aunt Jemima!! Sorry if I offend Greg with fat Aunt Jemima,hahaha. By the way has anybody bought cooked food at Las Pampas on Independencia Ave.on Sundays? They really have good food at cheap prices, if you disregard the Dominican-York crowd that goes there(I would not sit to eat in the place) Just take it out.
TW

L

Loren

On Independence

I always eat at Hnos. Villar. Mediocre food but near everything.

C

criss colon

Re: I just tried pancakes with raisins

"TW",I like to prepare raisins like this,place a cup of raisins,and 1/2 cup sugar, in a small sauce pan,cover with the rum of your choice.Bring just to a boil,turn off heat,cover.Let cool,place in refrigerator.The raisins swell-up with sweet rum flavor!I use this in pan cakes,rice puding,bread puding,on ice cream,or any other "low-cal" treats! Criss

M

mkohn

And if you drink it from a dixie cup

the calories don't count. Right?

&

"The Tourist Watcher"

Re: What about pasteles de hojas con raisins

You Bum, I knew you were gonna get those poor raisins drunk! I also drop hot raisins, a lot of them over my Pasteles de Hoja.
TW

N

Natasha

Re: What about pasteles de hojas con raisins

You mean in the ground meat mixture, right?

Regards,
Natasha

P

Pib

I am thinking

That I like my "pasteles en hoja" with plenty tobasco sauce (and without meat), the raisins would taste strange with that. I will try it though, look for me in the obituaries...

N

Natasha

Re: I am thinking

Pib, I don't eat any red meat, but my family uses raisins and hard boiled eggs in the ground meat mixture for the pasteles. Actually, I have a recipe for meatless pasteles en hojas :)

Regards,
Natasha

P

Pib

Re: I am thinking

Natasha,

When did you go the meatless-road? I don't eat anything but seafood, 8 yrs now. Anything that comes from the water is good for me (even sailors). It is pretty hard in DR with the culture of "la comida sin carne es paja". I have had to modify all the Dominican recipes, sometimes no meat, sometimes meat-substitute (such as soy). I have to be really creative, I love Sancocho, mind you.

Pib

L

Loren

I love animals too...

especially with Ketchup.

Heinz only, but if in the D.R. and not available, Bal-Dom will suffice.

C

criss colon

Re: I love animals too...

Heinz is the best,but it "pisses me off",to pay so much for ketchup! If you add some white vinegar to dominican katchup you can get close to Heinz.Dominican ketchup is "sweeter" and this is "cut" by more vinegar.Add about 1/2 tablespoon to a bottle,shake WELL!,taste,if needed add a little more.Works for me! Criss

L

linamia

vegetarian thoughts

Pasteles en hoja con repollo morado (purple cabbage)as a meat sub has a very good crunchy taste. I have a wonderful receipe for sancocho using vegetables (molondrones tayotas berengena soy bacon vainitas y muchos vivieres) you would not know that it is meatless from just the taste. Gathering back home are always a challenge because dominicans tend to think that if you don't eat meat it is because you can not afford it.

P

Pib

Dominican vegetarians unite!

How about a support group? Everybody seems to be in a support group these days. I have to say that I am not really a vegetarian, I am a fish-lacto-ovo-vegetarian (that word really exists, mind you). It is a lot easier for me, most restaurants have fish or seafood in the menu, even steak houses, although I feel I am always looked down by the waiters when I order seafood and a few times I have felt I was on the verge of being kicked out.

Back to meat-less Dominican recipes: Yes, soy bacon chips is good substitute for ground meat and makes a great "locrio". I have used it for "pasteles en hoja", "ni?os envueltos" and "quipes" too. Fried food is banned from my menu, so I can tell you how to make baked quipes. We should exchange some ideas by email.

I am getting hungry...

L

linamia

Re: Dominican vegetarians unite!

Yes Pib lets unite. I am available to exchange receipes whenever you like just e-mail me. have you ever had "guiso de tayota con leche de coco" served over white rice it is to die for as my sister says.

S

Stephen Hadley

Re: I love animals too...

If animals werent ment to be eaten, why are they made out of meat?