Two-year residency requirement for Spanish passport

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
I was speaking to a Spanish businessman recently who was complaining about the relaxed naturalization requirements in Spain for citizens of former Spanish colonies. According to him, a Dominican could obtain a Spanish passport after only two years of (legal?) residency and immediately gain full voting rights and welfare/unemployment benefits. Not sure if this two-year rule also applies to naturalized Dominicans or only to native-born Dominicans. Nevertheless it was quite surprising to hear about this, as it could be a fast-track for Latin Americans wishing to live in the EU.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I would tend to think that this venture is an attempt to stimulate investment income. Spain is one the PIGS countries and is experiencing very high unemployment and standard of living decreases. I am sure there is an economic provision that would precluded the huddled masses of former colonies from inundating the country for want of quick access to welfare - but I'll freely admit I do not know for sure.

barker1964

Silver
Apr 1, 2009
WhatPassport | Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies (CUKC) | British Nationalit

Citizen of the UK & Colonies Passport (CUKC)

Any person born within the UK and any of the UK Colonies between 01.01.1949 and 31.12.1982 were classified as a Citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies (CUKC) and could hold a passport to that end. The history of this CUKC appears below.

Not just Spain. Most colonist offered this to it's colonies. Also children born after 1982 to said parents also can get British passports.