Crash Landing in PUJ

donP

Dec 14, 2008

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Monday's DR1 News
None injured in small plane accident at Punta Cana International
Punta Cana International Airport (PUJ) reports there were no injuries in the landing difficulties experienced by an Air Century (ACSA) Jet Stream plane that landed at the airport around 8:45pm on Sunday, 12 October 2014. The plane arrived from San Juan in Puerto Rico. The airport reported the plane experienced an incident that caused it to leave the runway and catch fire. The airport emergency equipment responded to prevent major safety problems at the airport.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Just heard from my colleagues in PUJ that had it not been carrying the positioning crew from Puerto Rico, there definitely would have been fatalities. The Air Europa crew who were the passengers, are trained in emergency evacuation procedures and were able to escape the burning wreck.

Scary stuff!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Too bad. The J31 is one of the best bang-for-the-bucks commercial aircraft flying today...

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
T'will be interesting to see if ever there is an official report from the Dominican NTSB (IDAC).

How a twin engined aircraft crashed on landing with one engine failure (or on fire) is beyond me. You don't need engines to land, you need wheels!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
T'will be interesting to see if ever there is an official report from the Dominican NTSB (IDAC).

How a twin engined aircraft crashed on landing with one engine failure (or on fire) is beyond me. You don't need engines to land, you need wheels!
Big plane, too much speed at touchdown, no reverse prop, asymmetrical thrust (can be in reverse, too) and brake failure after overheating?

Often it's a chain of events.

I, too, would like to read the final report.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Big plane, too much speed at touchdown, no reverse prop, asymmetrical thrust (can be in reverse, too) and brake failure after overheating?

You could be right about them selecting reverse thrust on touchdown. With one engine failed the asymmetrical thrust would pull them off the runway which looks like what happened.

If that's the case then there are many questions to answer. PUJ runway 08 is very long (over 10,000ft). A J31 wouldn't need reverse thrust and a little dab of the brakes would slow you down enough to roll to the end.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
You could be right about them selecting reverse thrust on touchdown. With one engine failed the asymmetrical thrust would pull them off the runway which looks like what happened.

If that's the case then there are many questions to answer. PUJ runway 08 is very long (over 10,000ft). A J31 wouldn't need reverse thrust and a little dab of the brakes would slow you down enough to roll to the end.
I don't know the airport, but perhaps he wanted to get off at the first taxiway...something quite common.

But with an engine out on a twin turbine, maybe someone screwed up and tried to reverse thrust which would put the off the runway immediately.

Will be interesting, good think the peeps are OK.

Any passenger interviews? Does the tower take videos of take-offs & landings like many airports do?

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
The fact that these fellow pilots and other crew made it out of that accident and fire alive is good enough news to me, screw the report! God bless!!

redserge

Jan 30, 2011

I need to befriend you, you sound like you are a pilot :) I am a retired motorcop, motorcycles are the closest thing to flying with out leaving the ground. Leaving the ground is a rush. I used to volunteer for spotter duty in planes and helicopters. Miss the rush.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I need to befriend you, you sound like you are a pilot :) I am a retired motorcop, motorcycles are the closest thing to flying with out leaving the ground. Leaving the ground is a rush. I used to volunteer for spotter duty in planes and helicopters. Miss the rush.
Pilot & life-long motorcyclist...